Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

How bad are they? Lock Rss

Hi there : )

Wow I could have written this post! Except I had a c section with my first, and had the blood loss...so now am scared of having another for the exact same reasons you have...I am scared that the bleeding will be worse next time, and also worry that I wont be around to raise my babies...

My first c section was an elective...and my surgeon/ob advised me that elective is definitely safer than an emergency one. My reasons for having the elective were due to my mum, sisters, aunty, cousins etc all having awful deliveries which ended with assistance being needed. On top of all that my family has recently learnt that we have genetic blood probs (clotting and thinning) so knowing this the drs decided that an elective c section would be safer as this way they could monitor me in the leadup and they had blood ready for me in theatre in case it was needed.

I would suggest maybe talking to your dr about your concerns, and see if they will test you for things that may have contributed to your complications with your other 2 deliveries? See if they will run some tests to see if you carry any blood thinning disorders etc that may have gone unnoticed until now...then they can keep tabs on this during your pregnancy and delivery...

Once you have the results it may help you make a decision?

I was petrified prior to having my c section, but once I was in the theatre it wasn't bad at all : ) Once you've had the epidural (and your numb) they have bubs out within 5 mins...so you can then have a cuddle and take pics etc whilst they finish everything off : )

I hope this has helped you a bit...I know how hard it is to make the decision, as I said before I am struggling to make my own mind up too!...but I think knowledge is power and it will definitely help you either way : )

Gooodluck with your decision!
I've had 3 caesarians. My first was an emergency caesar, the others were elective.

I found the caesars to be absolutely fine. I was a bit anxious with my first, but it went smoothly. I was exhausted though and can't remember it all clearly sad

My 2 elective caesars were beautiful. Everything was planned; I knew exactly what would happen. My babies were born and I got to cuddle them. I didn't think of anything except meeting my babies until their birth and then didn't think of anything except how amazing they were afterwards grin I wasn't worried at all.

I honestly didn't find the recovery to be bad at all. Painkillers for a few days and then just a bit of residual soreness, although I realise some women find it more difficult.

I agree with pp. Find out why you lost so much blood and whether it is likely to happen again. With a planned c/s they can have blood on standby just in case.

I'd love to have just one more, and the thought of another c/s doesn't faze me in the least. It's just a few days of discomfort for a lifetime spent with another child wub
Little Miss's wrote:
Hey Melmul, I've had 2 cs, both elective and I honestly loved them both. I had a lovely OB and hospital that were very supportive of BF and skin to skin. So as soon as they were born they gave the a quick clean up and check over, DF cut the cord and then they brought DD over and put her nude on my chest while they finished up the cs. I BF in recovery and DF stayed with DD while I was brought out. She left my side for about 5min total and was with DF the whole time. My recovery was great both times as well. I went home on day 5 with DD1 and day 4 with DD2 and both times went home and only needed panadol or nurofen. I was doing all my normal daily things after a week and felt great. I was scared for the first one as I had heard lots of horror stories but they really aren't that bad, obviously there are always exceptions but a elective is so much more contolled than an emergency. Let me know if you want any advice in the future. smile

+1

i have had 1 emergency c-section after a riducolously long and painful labour

then 2 electives, which were so much more enjoyable and also an easier recovery as your body is not stressed out from labour to begin with. I was able to get skin to skin all 3 occasions, and my recovery time was much quicker after the electives.

I think its the fear of the unknown whihc scares a lot of people (me included) but I am honestly happy now with how my girls arrived smile

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

The best advice I can give you is for you to get your library to track down an excellent book called "Hail Caesar" by Caroline De Costa, which is sure to help explain and de-mystify caesarean birth. It is written by an Australian female obstetrician and is interesting and easy to read, is backed up by research, and is balanced and free from the emotiveness that often accompanies birthing advice literature.

What it comes down to is that if there are factors at play that they may put your baby (and yourself) at risk of trauma or worse with a natural delivery, it's not unreasonable to avoid those risks by opting for a caesarean. I do understand, though, that a lot of people are very keen for a natural birthing experience and are willing to give it a go regardless, knowing that ultimately the caesarean option is always there in an emergency if things don't turn out as they'd hoped. I realise that this is something that a lot of people feel very strongly about, and I don't mean to infer any criticism of those who opt for a natural/intervention-free delivery. (I quickly discovered in my pregnancy information-gathering reading that there is A LOT of literature out there that advocates this school of thought.)

Ultimately it was the unpredictability of labour that decided me on wanting a caesarean delivery. Sure, there was a good chance that everything would go swimmingly, but I just knew that if I did have a difficult or complicated labour and anything untoward happened to my baby as a result, I would be kicking myself for not opting for a caesar, particularly if I ended up needing an emergency caesarean anyway. I figured that a caesarean would be less traumatic for a baby than say a forceps or ventouse delivery. The other plus of a caesar is that you have your stitches where you can see them (!) and your pelvic floor is likely to be in a better state afterwards than if you have had a long and difficult labour, particularly if you are older (like me). So hopefully I have a lower risk of having prolapse problems and needing surgery in my later years...

The thing to bear in mind is that despite the information you'll be given about the risks of surgery (including death!) in reality the risks are very low, particularly in the hands of an experienced and skilled surgeon. After all this is one of the most common surgical procedures that obstetricians perform, and most will have performed hundreds, if not thousands of caesarean deliveries.

In the end, my baby was breech anyway, so it was a caesar regardless.
On a personal note, I loved my caesarean delivery - it was incredibly quick and easy, and the recovery was better than I was led to expect. Bubba was born on a Tues morning (6 months ago exactly!) and by the Friday I could get up and down fairly easily and comfortably and decided that I didn't even need any panadol. Just be prepared to have a lot of abdominal swelling for a few weeks.

I hope this is of some help. And best of luck with adding to your family smile
Sign in to follow this topic