Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Cesarean Questions Lock Rss

Hi Ladies,

1. Can you have nail polish on fingernails and toenails in a cesarean?
2. Did you shave yourself, or just trim and nurse or midwife would shave you?
3. Were you able to take care of your baby the first night? or baby stayed at nursery, providing that you had any early morning cesarean.
4. How long did it take from starting to ending your cesarean?
5. How to relieve your fears on the day of the cesarean? Any tips

Thanks smile
[quote post="3418263" name="Nonabel"][b]Nonabel wrote[/b]:

1. Can you have nail polish on fingernails and toenails in a cesarean? Just to throw a spanner in the works I did have nail polish on my toes during mine. I was never asked to remove it or not to wear it.

2. Did you shave yourself, or just trim and nurse or midwife would shave you? I got waxed a week beforehand

3. Were you able to take care of your baby the first night? or baby stayed at nursery, providing that you had any early morning cesarean. -My baby stayed with me the whole time. The midwives were there if I needed help though.

4. How long did it take from starting to ending your cesarean? About an hour or so..

5. How to relieve your fears on the day of the cesarean? Any tips - I tried to be strong and brave but in the end nerves got to me and I had a bit of a cry as I went into theatre. It actually helped me to feel better and all the staff were amazing and go a long way to helping to comfort you. My anaethetist was AWESOME!! He made the whole process so much better for me.

Good luck!!!
Little Miss's wrote:
1. No. And I wasn't allowed to wear any make up, deodorant etc.

Really? No make up at all...even bit of mascara?
1. Can you have nail polish on fingernails and toenails in a cesarean? No
2. Did you shave yourself, or just trim and nurse or midwife would shave you? I got a wax the day before (I didn't know exact date of my c/s) would highly recommend waxing over shaving though.
3. Were you able to take care of your baby the first night? or baby stayed at nursery, providing that you had any early morning cesarean.
My ds was prem taken straight to Special care nursery.
4. How long did it take from starting to ending your cesarean? About 40 min
don't think about it too much. I was quite scared I would feel everything but didn't feel a thing. Just think about the end result smile
1. I wasn't allowed any nail polish
2. I shaved prior but pretty sure the midwife had to go over it as I had no idea where the exact cut would be
3. Bubs with with me the entire time. Dd was born at 11:24am and was up later that afternoon so I was able to tend to her. But the nurses are there if you need help.
4. I honestly down recall how long. I know she was born very quickly after the first incision though.
5. Take things to entertain you in case you Have a long wait.
We had to be at the hospital at 6am and I didn't get taken down to theatre til about 10:30, I wasn't told that there would be people in front of me, plus the emergency cases that come through so I naively thought I would go in when I got there sort it thing and had nothing to do but think and think lol.

I was told to take off nailpolish, but then a doc told me it doesn't matter as ur oxygen levels etc r monitored by a machine, along w heartrate etc. I wasn't shaved AT ALL which surprised me.Baby went w dad as I started to get distressed by it all, but she was w me all time after I got back from recovery. My op took 45mins. I was fine till got in theatre, had a little cry, took a deep breath and then I focused on a spot on the ceiling like it was the most important thing ever and just focused on my breathing. If you have some firm big girl knickers take them to wear after as it REALLY helps and u can stick a thin pad to it where ur incision is to protect it. Handy little tip an old midwife gave me. hope all goes well for you smile
1. Can you have nail polish on fingernails and toenails in a cesarean? I had some on before the operation and they removed it for me.
2. Did you shave yourself, or just trim and nurse or midwife would shave you? They hade to shave me.
3. Were you able to take care of your baby the first night? or baby stayed at nursery, providing that you had any early morning cesarean?. It was very hard for me, I couldnt quite stand up to change his nappy. So DH did it for me.
4. How long did it take from starting to ending your cesarean? I cant remember when they put me in. I think it was 45 mins though
5. How to relieve your fears on the day of the cesarean? Mine was emergency, By that time i was begging for it so didnt have any fears. Just make sure you have alot of support with you to help you out afterwards. smile

1. Can you have nail polish on fingernails and toenails in a cesarean?
I had nail polish on my toes. They didn't ask me to remove it or remove it for me.

2. Did you shave yourself, or just trim and nurse or midwife would shave you?
I shaved myself the day before, got as much out of the way as I could...couldn't think of anything worse than someone else doing it (for me, personally)! I must have done alright, they didn't do anything more.

I was the first C/S of the day with bub born at 0838...they actually offered to take him into the nursery for me that night so I could get a bit of rest. They just brought him in when it was time for a feed.

4. How long did it take from starting to ending your cesarean?
As I said, I was first of the day. Got to the hospital at 6am. By 7.30am I had my pretty gown and stockings on and they wheeled me down. Approx 7.50 I was in theatre.They then ran through everything, put in IV, epidural, catheter etc...I remember laying down and checking the clock, it was about 8.20...M was born 8.38.

I am surprised I wasn't more nervous or scared actually. I guess not knowing what to expect I had nothing to fear, if that makes any sense. Plus, everyone I met from the nurse in my room to the theatre staff were so nice and friendly, I think that helped keep my calm. They obviously do this day in/day out and know how nervous us mums can get!

My biggest fear going in was the epidural as I broke my back 8 years ago...for some reason I thought that would have an impact but it didn't! I really didn't feel the local in my back that much, it literally was a tiny scratch. After that, I didn't feel a thing, at all, until a few hours afterwards when the pain set in...not much you can do about that though.

Just try to relax, if you can. Everything will be fine!
Sign in to follow this topic