Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. Question Re Getting tube tied at Caesarean Pro's & Con's

Question Re Getting tube tied at Caesarean Pro's & Con's Lock Rss

Hello again smile

SO my doctors have asked me whether I'd like to have my tubes tied when I have my 4th and last caesarean. I'm really unsure as I've read negative things about it.

If you've had it done or have any advice I'd love to hear Pro's and Con's to having it done when the caesarean is being done?
Is their a higher risk to my own health if I have it done at the same time?

I asked my doctors but they just say Nah not really but it doesn't convince me. I just don't want to take unnecessary risks when the caesarean in itself is major surgery.

Any advice would be Very Much Appreciated smile
Thanks In Advance smile xx

Mummy of 5 Gorgeous Babes smile
My newest Gorgeous Baby Boy arrived 1st January 2014 smile xxx

My obs actually won 't do them during a c-section. I asked about it on the off chance that I might need a cs after Dd2. He has a number of reasons for not doing it. His number one is 'buyers guilt' or regret straight after birth. With all those hormones still flying around, it isn't a good time to make that kind of decision.

The other reasons are physical ones, there is a slight higher risk of the procedure failing when performed during cs, as is the risk of infection. There is also a higher risk of developing PTLS (post tubal ligation syndrome).

But I think he is in the minority for not wanting to perform them at that stage.

I was asked early on in my pregnancy and said i'd think about it but my ob. didn't ask me again. Mind you, I did joke that birth control was DF's department, i've done my share!

I'm glad I didn't because when DS2 came out, he wasn't too good (apgar of 0) so I would have been screaming at them not to do it. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be replacing him, but we wanted four kids!

I was told that the main thing was that my recovery would take longer, which I wouldn't have had an issue with as I usually recover really well.

Kind of a pain too though as i'm still waiting for DF to get the snip!

I had my tubes done when I had DS. All my babies were born via C-section. I have had no complications and no extra pain smile I knew that I he was my last baby so when they said that they were about to snip the tubes I was like "go ahead now"

i had mine cut and tied during my last c section and I found recovery did take longer and Ive never felt so hormonal after a birth than I did with this one, and at almost 10 weeks post partum Im still bleeding,not sure if its linked but it never happened with the others. I wish hubby wouldve put his hand up to get snipped :/

Thank you all for your reply's smile Given me lots to think about.

Ahhhh it's such a tricky one but I don't know think I'm leaning towards Not getting it done. Like I see the advantages of getting it done at the same time but then when I think of it not working, being at greater risk of infection, longer recovery time etc etc I think NO especially that I'll be coming home to take care of bub plus my 4 other kids and we have no family support to help at all.
Thanks again smile xx

3 plus us I'm glad your Procedure went well smile

I have considered this, but haven't asked yet?? I will be having my 2nd csection in 8-9wks. we had decided this was it, but as the pregnancy goes on dp is thinking he might like to try for a boy... I am not entirely sure, so it'll be hard for me to make a final decision. I guess it'll be back to condoms for us for a few more years until we decide if it's right for us to have another bub or not & then I think it'll be easier if dp just goes & gets the snip, as it's soo much easier for them!!
Sign in to follow this topic