Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. C-Sections - what you wish you knew before yours?

C-Sections - what you wish you knew before yours? Lock Rss

What to expect / tips for a better recover......
Hi, there is a possibility i may need a c-section (placenta previa). Have read so many varying experiences that I don't know what to expect &, just wondering if anyone has any tips for less pain / speedier recover?
Get up and moving as soon as you can. It's uncomfortable at first but so important smile

Keep on top of your pain - don't wait until you're in pain to take painkillers. Also - it may be not too bad. I was having no pain relief at all by day 3 with all of mine smile

Make sure your posture is good when feeding. It helps to support bub on a pillow on your lap.
angel kisses wrote:
Get up and moving as soon as you can. It's uncomfortable at first but so important smile

Keep on top of your pain - don't wait until you're in pain to take painkillers. Also - it may be not too bad. I was having no pain relief at all by day 3 with all of mine smile

Make sure your posture is good when feeding. It helps to support bub on a pillow on your lap.

+ 1.

Take some it high waist granny knickers, normal knickers sit right on your wound.

Listen to your body, some gentle movement is good but pushing yourself too far and too fast can cause more harm than good)

Also putting a pad between your wound and your knickers helps cushion the pressure.

Good luck and enjoy your baby smile

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

I wish I knew how positive the experience could be. C/sections seem to have a lot of negativity surrounding them and be touted as a second rate birth experience. Well I can tell you I have birthed both ways and my c/s was amazing compared to my natural birth. It was calm, relaxed and controlled. I was very nervous and unsure what to expect but it was such a positive experience and I wish I knew it could be like that. I think going into it in a positive frame of mind is important and will help in your recovery. I too had a great and fast recovery, no medication needed after leaving hospital and even went for a gentle walk around the block with bub in the pram the day after I got home, I just felt really good and able to.
As said above get up and moving as soon as you can, stay on top of pain meds- don't be afraid to ask for them if your due- wear the granny undies and ask to hold your baby as soon as possible after the birth. I wish you all the best for a great birth smile
*misskel* wrote:
I wish I knew how positive the experience could be.

Totally agree misskel!

Everyone installs all this fear in ladies for no reason! OK! Things can go wrong but 'elective' c-sections are usually pretty relaxed and straight forward.

I had a fast recovery from both of mine!

Agree with getting moving (gently!) as soon as you are able.
I found that I needed painkillers more once I got home as I was doing so much more, and as mentioned don't wait until you're really sore, take them earlier. I was pleasantly suprised that I wasn't super sore though.
If they give you hideous compression stockings to help prevent blood clots, keep wearing them, I reckon they helped my poor swollen feet go down quicker
Ask your midwife to take photos if you want them. Mine became a bit redundant after the decision for c-section was made, so she got our camera. I have photos right though from them lifting her out until she was tucked up with me, a very unexpected and precious record.
All the best smile
Thanks heaps for all your comments and suggestions smile
the high waisted support undies to hold in your tummy is an absolute must (helps with healing and supporting your insides according to my GP, just get the light to medium support not the full support), I found that when I did finally wear support undies as opposed to granny undies my wound was less painful and was just in general more comfortable, I hated taking them off. also a must is wearing a very thick and long pad (like the really cheap brand maternity pads) you stick it on the inside of your undies crossways along your wound, my GP pretty much yelled at me for not wearing one! Also prepare your partner and family to help you with the housework and house chores after you have the c-section. I didnt have much support and something as simple as sweeping the floor I was told was a big NO NO but I had to do that and more and holy crap it hurt and doing that stuff was part the reason why my wound wasnt healing. Whilst you need to get moving gently, things like carrying a wash basket, hanging out washing, vaccuming etc etc - all the things I considered 'gentle' should not be done in the first few weeks so make sure you have everyone ready to help with it all.
I have a C-section last November didn't know I going to have one until a week before my due date was pretty gutted as I felt my birth plan went out the window... I have a lovely midwife but she gave up her job due to illness so I was felt so alone only had my family for support.. After I had my beautiful baby boy... Had a hard time cause I was usually a very independent person still feel a bit of pain even after a year of my C-section....
I was just wondering dose it leave much of a scar I don't no anybody that has had one to ask
Agree with getting up and moving, slowly, but it does help.... and the pain relief for sure, try not to wait for the pain... I was taking panadol and nurofen alternately to avoid it. Dont try to be tough, and dont let ANYONE try to tell you its bad to take them! Its bad to slow down your recovery by making yourself suffer.
Take it easy and ask for help, do stuff like freezing meals before hand smile
To get up and moving sooner rather than later, take pain killers earlier and have granny panties with you! I ended up by getting the ones that came all the way up to my milk tanks LOL

i had a lovely experience with my c section which was 12 weeks ago tomorrow and apart from my mummy tummy i have a very faint scar that is not obvious at all
Sign in to follow this topic