Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. Quick Emergency C-Section Question

Quick Emergency C-Section Question Lock Rss

You could always check with your private health insurer but I am fairly sure everything is covered for YOU. Baby is not covered unless you add him/her to the insurance policy before the birth

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

I had an emergency section with my first going private. OB was covered as he charged under the gap, however, a week after being home, received a bill from the anaesthetist for $2500 reduced to $1500 if paid before a certain time! We were never informed that we would be receiving a bill, even though I saw him the next day, and after calling them to be told its because it was after hours. We sent in a letter (as a friend of ours had been under general to get rid of retained placenta - same hospital, same private cover, only had to pay excess) and they put it on my OB in their reply along with a pamphlet saying my OB should have given it to me. Pamphlet was for planned sections! My OB was disgusted with it and even called them to get the fee waived - they wouldn't, so ended up being about $900 out of pocket. They were the only anaesthetist group in the area I lived and charged what they wanted which was well above the gap.
I didnt have to pay for having my em c-section.

When I was about 30wks I had to pay the delivery fee to my ob, but after having the em c-section there was no extra cost.
When you pay the planning fee at around 26ish weeks that covers your ob for everything regardless of when and how your baby is born. If there is a problem during birth or c/s then a paed will attend and will bill you separately but some of that can be claimed through your private health. Your baby doesn't need to go on your policy immediately as they are under your cover unless bub is admitted to SCN and if that's the case then you can just ph your provider to add bubs details if necessary.
Nai&BE wrote:
~Ruby~Gloom~ wrote:
When you pay the planning fee at around 26ish weeks that covers your ob for everything regardless of when and how your baby is born. If there is a problem during birth or c/s then a paed will attend and will bill you separately but some of that can be claimed through your private health. Your baby doesn't need to go on your policy immediately as they are under your cover unless bub is admitted to SCN and if that's the case then you can just ph your provider to add bubs details if necessary.
This wasn't the case with me so I'd check up on that smile

Specifically?
I am having c section in 8 weeks. There is no additional charge just what I have already paid as preg management fee at 24 weeks. Which ever way deliver pay is my ob charge is covered as in hospital service completely covered by PhF. There may be an additional anesthesia gap charge of about $100 and paedeatrician fee about $100 or so. I also checked with my PHF and bubs is fully covered under my health insurance til we get her listed.
Sign in to follow this topic