Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. Help! Low platelets, what does this mean for me?

Help! Low platelets, what does this mean for me? Lock Rss

Hi ladies
Has anyone had any experiences with 'low platelets'? I am 35 weeks preggy with baby no.3 and have a c section booked in for week 39, after having 2 previous emergency c sections. Both my little boys arrived at week 37 so the likely hood of being early again is pretty high. I got my results back from some tests back yesterday and my midwife has found that my iron levels are really low and so are my platelets. She wrote me a script to help bring the iron levels up, but Im worried about the platelets now.

She said my anethesist will not be pleased with this result! I have a fibroid attached to my womb also that could cause a bleed. She said that I may not be able to have an epidural... What is the alternative??? Any info at all would be great, my appoint with the anethesist isn't for two weeks.
Does this mean you also couldn't have a spinal block? I have had three spinals, never an epidural, so I'm not sure how different they are ( I mean, I understand how they are different but I couldn't tell you if they feel different or recovery wise how different IYKWIM)
Tickled*pink wrote:
Does this mean you also couldn't have a spinal block? I have had three spinals, never an epidural, so I'm not sure how different they are ( I mean, I understand how they are different but I couldn't tell you if they feel different or recovery wise how different IYKWIM)

Hi Tickled Pink, I just don't really know.... I don't like the thought of having a general and then my husband not being with me and our little guy coming into the world and Im asleep and his dad isn't there either! I just don't know how it all happens and that is freaking me out a bit. But whatever is necessary I guess... I shall ask about a spinal block as an option. Thanks so much smile
Spinal block is pretty much the same thing. If it gets to the point where they won't do an epidural then I would say with the risks involved they will want to put you completely under.
Sign in to follow this topic