Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. Would you choose public or private for a caesarean birth?

Would you choose public or private for a caesarean birth? Lock Rss

Hi all,
I am currently 34 weeks pregnant and my bub is breech.
I am aware he could still turn around I will be trying some Chinese medicine etc to try to help the process however I would like to start considering my birthing options if he doesn't want to play.
I have full private health cover however from the beginning of my pregnancy I have chosen to go through my local public hospital as they have a great reputation and I'm not too fussed about having a private room or having my partner stay etc.
My question to you all is if you knew you were going to have a c-section would you go public or private? I guess my main thought is would it be better to go private so my partner can stay and help out with the baby for those first few days or is recovery fine in a public hospital?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts smile
To be honest I'd go private - what's the point of paying for the health insurance if your not going to use its benefits? smile
same here I would go private:)
Public, as a private patient.

(you have all the back up in case of an emergency.eg. if you were to need a blood transfusion - easier to arrange in the public and received sooner), but the luxury of choosing your own obgyn and hospital. I LOVED it!
I would go private. Well where I am anyway if you have a C-section in a public hospital they do not support you very well and rush to send you home even if your not feeling like you are able to.

I went private and have had two C-sections and never was I rush to leave the hospital. I had great support from the staff and they were wonderful with all my kids while they spent time is special care in the private hospital.

Really it is just a personal choice. If you choose to go private you may have issues finding a doctor this late in your pregnancy.

Good luck.

I should clarify my answer - i was carrying twins, so it was deemed a high risk pregnancy, and one bub was breech. So for me, it was more appropriate to be in a public hospital as a private patient. Had i only carried one baby, and the pregnancy was routine (even if involved a breech baby), i would def go to a private hospital. Ive worked in both too, and there is less expectation that you be discharged as soon as possible. More relaxing environment too. Good luck with bub! smile
me+hub+3 wrote:
I would go private. Well where I am anyway if you have a C-section in a public hospital they do not support you very well and rush to send you home even if your not feeling like you are able to.

I went private and have had two C-sections and never was I rush to leave the hospital. I had great support from the staff and they were wonderful with all my kids while they spent time is special care in the private hospital.

Really it is just a personal choice. If you choose to go private you may have issues finding a doctor this late in your pregnancy.

Good luck.
Lily2015 wrote:
I should clarify my answer - i was carrying twins, so it was deemed a high risk pregnancy, and one bub was breech. So for me, it was more appropriate to be in a public hospital as a private patient. Had i only carried one baby, and the pregnancy was routine (even if involved a breech baby), i would def go to a private hospital. Ive worked in both too, and there is less expectation that you be discharged as soon as possible. More relaxing environment too. Good luck with bub! smile

Thanks Ladies, I made the change to private the day after I wrote this post, then about a week later bub decided to come nearly 5 weeks early! He wasn't breech but I did end up having an emergency c section after 19 hours labour.. I was so happy I went private as they treated me fantastically and most importantly my little man was in amazing hands while he was in the special care nursery for 2 weeks. He's now 15 weeks old and absolutely perfect smile
Congrats. Great to hear that all went well. I hope that you had a great recovery and that you and your little man are doing great now.

Sign in to follow this topic