Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

preventing birth defects Lock Rss

Hi all,

We at Practical Parenting magazine are running a feature on folate or folic acid and its importance during pregnancy. Has anyone had a folate deficiency during pregnancy?

Folate is considered essential to prevent birth defects in your bubs. Please feel free to share any stories.

Kind regards,

Sue
I didn't have birth defects but with #2 I tried to boost folate naturally with food. I ate peanuts and that is the only child so far to have inherited DH allergy to nuts. Is this coincidence as I have been told it doesn't have effect until breastfeeding.

Robynne-69 DH-61 DS1-94 DD1-96 DS2-99 DS3&DD2-04

Hi there,

Earlier this year I was pregnant and due to give birth early September. Everything seemed to be going fine until we went for a routine scan at 19 weeks, when my husband and I were told our baby had a nural tube defect called anencephaly.

I did a bit of research on the internet in regards to the condition as we were advised that the best thing to do was to terminate, I wanted to make sure that we were making the right decision.

Apparently the defect happens in the 2nd-3rd week of pregnancy, and can be caused through lack of folic acid, alcohol and contraceptive pills can lower your folic acid levels. I hadn't taken folic acid prior to this pregnancy but had started taking it about 6-8 weeks into the pregnancy by this time it would have been too late to make a difference.

Little Jake arrived on 16/04/05 weighing just 190grams. We got to see him which was the best healer as we realised we had made the right decision. Jake is buried with my husbands grandparents.

The experts said the chances of having another baby with the same condition were slightly increased and advised me to take a high dosage of folic acid.

Anyway we decided to try again and we are having twins which are due at the end of April 06!

Denise, NZ

Sign in to follow this topic