Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. How do you know when you're feeling the baby move?

How do you know when you're feeling the baby move? Rss

First time Mum @ 17wks.

My midwife said last week I should start to feel the baby move soon but how do I know if what I'm feeling is the baby or just my stomach gurgling?

Tarns

Hi Tarns

Congratulations! Everyone told me when you first feel the baby move it feels like tiny bubbles popping. But to me - this might sound strange - it felt like when your eyes twitch when your really tired - I don't know if that ever happens to you - but that's the best way I can describe it. I think it had been happening for a couple of weeks before I realised what it was - as it kept getting stronger. I thought it was my stomach at first. If you are feeling your stomach gurgle it probably is your baby - how exciting!!! As the movements get stronger, and it doesn't take long, there's no mistaking what it is. All the best with the rest of your pregnancy.

Jasmine
Im a first time mum and i have been feeling my bub for about 2 wks now im currentally 18 1/2 wks now and in just two weeks its gone from the odd one or two kicks a day too nearly non stop movement i cant believe how active this bub is and so earliey in the pregnancy it amazes me.

But how it feels its like when a nerve jumps in you leg or any where in your body but its in your abdomen, The first time you feel it you may not be sure my advice do as i did keep it your little secret for a couple of days until your pritty sure, then let the whole world know. LOL
It's quiet Alien like for a while yet very cool.

Enjoy your first movements and pregnancy.

Shannon

Shannon WA, DD Tiana 2, No2 EDD 8th May

it felt like butterflys or a little bit of wind to me.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Well I actually had the baby moving from 14 weeks, but I was advised that this was because of how small I am and so it helped me to feel the baby so early, yet I found that when I was first feeling the little angel it was just like getting butterflys in my stomach. It was like when you get nerves I found and it was just like my stomach had tiny ripples going through it. It was amazing and you can actually feel the baby doing somersault and everything.

Try not to wait for it to happen though because it will drive you insane trying to distinguish every little flutter that occurs.. at the time you may be feeling extremely apprahensive as to what you are feeling, but eventually you will realise what was the baby and what is your tummy.

Congratulations you are in for the most amazing experience.
xoxoxox

SA, beautiful baby boy born 3/04/04 my life

hey, well firstly congratulations on your prengancy. I am 22 weeks preg with my first bub and i first felt baby around 17 weeks. It did feel as many people have said like butterflies, it feels like someone is tickling your belly from inside. It will be the strangest feeling as the tickling last for a few seconds but then again its a wonderful feeling too.
Goodluck with your pregnancy.

Karina, S.A, mum to Kaleb born 25/07/04

Wow! I'm 19wks tomorrow and have spent most the day at my desk in awe of the movement I'm finally feeling!

The best way I can describe it is like 'vibrations'.

This is absolutely the best feeling in the world!

smile

Tarns

That is great news Tarns !!

You are right it is the best feeling in the world! It is such a reassuring feeling and a time when you feel really close to bub.

I too have been sitting at my desk this morning copping a pounding. Lately though (like this morning) some of the movements I have been getting have gone from feeling like a flutter that almost tickles, to close to hurting. Its a bit like the baby is kicking a sensitive or sore spot inside me.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal???

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hi Jo

I only have just over 5 weeks to go (but who's counting smile) and believe me some of the kicks and hits I get really do hurt. I think it just depends on where they decide to get you.........

Shelley

S Brooks, Hobart

Hi all you lovely expecting mums,

I just couldn't help but say Hi and best of luck for the rest of your pregnancys! You are making me so clucky, those bubba kicks are an amazing feeling! I use to lie on my tummy in early pregnancy and just wait to feel those kicks! It is so wonderful a feeling and so reassuring,

Take care,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi tarns,

I am 23 weeks pregnant with my second bub and felt the movements much earlier this time than my first pregnancy. The movements are often described in so many different ways, a flutter in your tummy, tummy growls, bubbles popping, a squishy sensation etc. By 20 - 22 weeks you should start to feel definite prods or kicks.

My little boy is very active now and goes to town kicking and prodding me the minute I sit down to relax or go to bed to sleep.

A tip to help get baby moving and you noticing is to sit or lie down and stay still for about 10 minutes, more often than not not baby will start to move because mum has stopped.

Goodluck with your pregnancy and enjoy feeling your bubba moving...

Michelle smile
im 18.5 weeks right the moment and am on my third..........

i felt this lil one moving really early but was a bit confused if it was him or me.....
Having two lil ones already you would think i would know, but it felt really different....... i figured it was the baby about when i was 14.5 weeks, but noone else could feel the movements.......

One cute thing though is i went for my ultrasound, my children my partner and my sister watching.......
They could never feel the movements i am feeling but seen it on the screen.....
We found out we are having a lil Man, and they all watched and laguhed as our lil Man kicked away into my Full bladder.........
Even though they hadnt felt the movements by everyones faces they felt those movements inside themselves:)smilesmilesmile
Sign in to follow this topic