Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

it wont be starving will it?? Rss

hey all i'm reall paranoid,for the last 9 days i have had a bad flu and been unable to eat i have tryed to keep food down but am worried that me not getting enough during this time could be affecting my baby(12 weeks)?My boyfriend thinks he/she will be living off my fat stores hehe is this true???? please help i'm freeking!!

cherie,mum to Jacob born oct 2004

This post has been edited by the moderator.
Hi Icemaiden!
I had gall stones throughout my entire pregnancy, and didn't know it, i suffered severe pain, nausea and vomitting from 16 weeks onwards, the attacks were at least 3 times a week. I lost weight nearly everytime i went for my monthly weigh-ins. The doctor didn't know what was wrong with me and was giving me tablets for heart burn, nausea etc but nothing worked, it wasn't untill 5 weeks after she was born and i was still having attacks that my doctor did and ultra sound and found the problem....
any way, the moral smile of my story is that after all that, my baby still arrived at a healthy 4.2kgs!!!!
If your very concerned go to the doctor and he/she should re-assure you because you shouldn't feel stressed out!!!!!!!!
Good Luck!

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

Hi Icemaiden,

I agree with everything else everyones said!

Also, dehydration is probably your biggest worry! As long as you are getting some fluids into you, that is the most important thing! Seeing as you have been sick for so long it may be worth a visit to the drs to have your blood pressure taken. That is an indicator of dehyration.

I was sick for about a week, at about 30 wks pregnant. I did not consume one thing for 5 days and lost 3 kgs. I went to the dr twice in that time, and all he was really concerned about was my wees! He also gave me maxalon, but it didn't work for me!

Best of luck, and i hope you are getting better,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Sarah.

Sorry I know this message isn't directed to you 'Ice maiden', but to you, Sarah. I just want to say I had the exact same thing as you through my pregnancywith Nicholas, gall stones and I didn't know what ist was either. I also suffered from it after the pregnancy and found out what they were.

Have you had any more attacks since?? Did you do anything about it??

Now, to you, 'Ice maiden" do not worry as everyone else has said your baby will take everything he/she needs from you first. Just make sure you are taking your pregnancy vitamins, just to be on the safe side of things. I had the flu when I was pregnant and gall stones as you may have read and Nicholas came out fine. A whopping 9 1/2 pounds fine and he is now an extremely happy and healthy little boy who gets into everything!! smile lol!!

Anyway good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and by the way if you would like to chat any time my email addy is karen2607@hotmail.com

Take care

Karen, Vic, Nicholas 26/10/02

Hi Karen,
I had attacks for 5 weeks after i had Neena and even went to emergency twice but they just told me to go take some mylanta. In the end i went to a Gp and he sent me to have the ultrasound, from there i was taken straight to hospital and had the surgery to remove the gall bladder. It was like magic, no pain at all after the actual wounds healed.
The only thing is that if i have junk food or oily food, i get slight discomfort a few hours later but nothing like before.
My obstetrition was so sorry he hadn't picked up on it when he found out at my 6 week check up! But it doesn't take away from all i went through.

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

Hi again, Sarah

Just wondering how were you after the surgery?? Were you in much pain?? We had a friend who is a naturopath & he told me not to have the surgery and recommended I drink 500ml of olive oil (4 tablespoons every 15 mins) and then 1 tablespoon of lemon juice straight after the 4 tablespoons of oil. It was absolutely disgusting as I had to do it on an empty stomach. But so far so good. That was just over a year ago now. Like you if I eat junk or fatty foods I feel abit of discomfort too. Hopefully that will be the end of them for both of us. smile

Anyway Take Care
Bye for now

Im so surprised you were told to drink olive oil as oil is what triggers the attacks, your body cant break them down as the stones get in the way of the bile being pushed into your stomach, that what the pain is.
When i was first told about the stones, i was recommended to have to surgery as i had lots of little ones and there is a chance of one of them coming out of the gall bladder and getting stuck in the tubes which is alot worse. I was told if i didn't eat any oil i wouldn't get pain, especcially raw oil, which is almost impossible for me as i am from a greek family, where even salads and veggies are full of oil!!!!!!
I just thought, get the pain over with asap so i got to operation done, the worst part was when i first went into hospital because i was breast feeding neena and hadn't eaten for days and i was in and out of consiousness, my blood pressure was so low and i was dehydrated. Then i had to express my milk every four hours as Neena wasn't allowed to stay with me in hospital, she was at home with her then clueless dad!!!!
Its all over now so Im happy, good luck to you!!

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

Apparently the lemon juice was meant to break them down and the olive oil is meant to coat everything so I would 'pass them out' easier!!
Anyway... good luck to you to Sarah and if at time you would like to chat you can email me at
karen2607@hotmail.com
Happy Easter

Hi neenas mum,
I too had gallstones my attacks started about 16 weeks but unlike you mine did leave my gall bladder all 11 of them, blocked my liver and pancreas and my baby and i almost died, if it wasnt for my boyfriend putting his foot down we would'nt be here. It's nice to know that other people go through the same things.

Sorry for the hijack:)

Mandy

2 cuties 7/5/99 & 8/9/04

Mandy

Im so glad to hear that your alright! Thats terrible! Because my attacks were so prolonged and severe, they too thought some stones may have come out but i was luckier than you, poor thing!
I was convinced too by my husband but t didn't take much, as i said i was competely out of it, i cant beleive i was that bad and thought i'd be fine! Whats wrong with us that we think we have to cope with everything???!!!! If it was Neena who was sick, man....i'd be down at the hospital so fast i'd proberbly lose my licence!!!!!!!!!

So, your preggo again! Good Luck and congratulations! Did you choose that age gap between kids, just wondering cause i like to get other peoples points of veiw on the matter! My husband was us to have another soon and i want to wait untill Neena's around 4 or 5, Chris agrees with me when i tell him why but its not his first choice,
I'd love to hear from you,
Sarah
smile

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

Hi sarah,
We didn't choose to have a big gap, it took me this long to recover from having chloe.
After I had her she was premature so we were both in hospital for three months, i had the gallbladder op, I was ok for 3 weeks then got more attacks, so back to hospital this time for 9 weeks had two more ops. Finally went home with my baby 4 months old. Then she got sick rushed to melb childrens hospital I.C.U for 4 weeks.
Her first birthday came she was doing great still tiny but not sick, I started having more attacks back in to hospital 2 more ops. finally they got all the stones. Chloe was 2 years old by then. because they left the stones so long i had chronic pancrentitis, so i was taking 200milligrams of morphine every four hours, it was killing me. That was heaps of drugs so then my body had to withdraw from them, that took me 14 months.
I finally started to not have attacks, but because my body had been through so much if i caught a cold i would get pneumonia, so it was a long long battle.
The next step was convincing my partner it would not happen again if we were to have another baby, that took a while, we then started trying and it took us 8 months to get pregnant then we lost that baby.
Now I'm 20 weeks and my doctors are keeping a very close eye on me and so is my partner:)

Now that we are having our children 5 years apart i like the idea because chloe goes to school in January, while I'm due August so she can spent some time with the baby, then i have it all to myself so i can give this one undivided attention like i did with chloe.

Mandy

2 cuties 7/5/99 & 8/9/04

Sign in to follow this topic