Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

how big SHOULD i be? Rss

hi all, paranoid me again .I'm 5 months pregnant and hardly have a bump everyone keeps telling me 'the baby may be born small as i'm not showing yet and i'm munted is this true how big should i be then? i thought i may be small now but the baby might make himself obvious in a few months more i know theres one in there,i'm only a little person i'm 5 foot 1 and weigh(before the baby) 54kgs

cherie,mum to Jacob born oct 2004

Hi Ice Maiden

Don't stress too much (even though I did the same thing). I didn't show till about the 20th week and I was stressing that the baby was growing okay etc etc.

It has a lot to do with how the baby is laying and my doctor also told me ladies with strong abs before being pregnant actually hold the baby in longer so it takes a lot longer to show. It is hard but try not to scare yourself by listening to what people tell you. Instead try and direct your questions to your Dr or midwife who know a lot more about it.

I'm sure that bump will show with a venegeance real soon!!

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

hello there!
you may not believe me but when i was seven months gone, people still coundnt tell i was even pregnant!!
i live in a small town so news travels fast, it was funny how people started to look at my belly to see if i really was!!!
im only 5 foot 6, and back then i was about 59/60kg after all the morning sickness i had!! so it wasnt a case of she was hidden behind a big stomach.
the only time before 7 months that you could see her was if i was lying flat on my back, and my bump was the same as a ball (as if i had swallowed one!)
i was a little dissapointed as everyone around me was "poping out" and i was'nt!! but i did at about 7 mths so dont worry enjoy the fact that you dont have to worry about new clothes, doing your shoes up, and getting up out of a bean bag!!!
by the way Tasmin was just over 3.6 kg

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

Hiya,

I really know what you are feeling and it's all normal as long as your Dr says so. I work in the hospitality industry, and i had many customers and staff not even knowing i was pregnant, till i went on Maternity leave, at 37 wks.

I was "compact" as they say, with a 7 pd bub 2 weeks early,

Take care, and don't worry,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Cherie,

I agree with these other mum's. It is common for small build people to not show until later in their pregnancies... I am a pretty small build myself and didn't really look pregnant before the 5th month.

As long as all your medical check ups say you are fine and bub is healthy then you really have nothing to worry about. And as my doctor says, you don't want a big baby if you are a small person... otherwise you can have all sorts of problems come delivery time.

So, less stress and more rest!! Enjoy your pregnancy and the fact that you are not HUGE and uncomfortable.

Michelle.

P.S. My first born was 7lb 13oz. and I am 8 weeks away from having baby number 2.
i was huge. email me for a pic of me preggas kodeybear@hotmail.com

i started showing at 3 months. i was only 54kgs (55kgs at the most) before i was preggas. and i am only 4 foot 9 smaller than most if not all of you. my first born daughter was 8 pound 14.

thanks. bye

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Hi eilishsmummy,

Wow, you go girl, and i thought i was short at 5 foot 2. Good on you for such a healthy bub,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

i didnt show with my first until about 5-6mths and that was a little bump by the time the labiur came i was very big my baby was small at 2.8kgs but a healthy baby. but with my second i shoot right out and my second was the same weight as the first so it doesnt matter how big ur belly is.

my cuzinz first baby weight in at 3.8 kgs and she was huge she put on a lot of weight but her second baby her belly wasnt as big as the first baby and the baby's weight was 4.2kg so it realy doesnt matter how big the baby or ur belly is just as long as its healthy.

Salwa, 2 girls, sydney

i forgot to add that i am short aswell grin cant remember the last time where i mesured my self but im a shorty.

Salwa, 2 girls, sydney

Hi,
I have to agree with the above comments. I didnt show till late with my first and never had to buy any new clothes through the pregnancy. All my family and friends said the baby will be small but she came out a good weight and was very long. The midwife said to me that I had strong abdominal muscles which was holding it in. This time I am the same. At 17 weeks Im 5'6 and weigh 55kgs and in tightish clothes no-one can see it all, but I can when i look. People always have opinions on your pregnancy, If the midwifes/docters are happy..dont worry

Dawn,WA ,Chloe 3.5, Danielle born 17th dec 2004

hi... yip.... i didnt have the big belly happening either. my first was 6lb 2oz and second 7lb 2oz. i put it down to that i seem to have a longer "body" i would really of loved to of should like others though. i mostly felt fat, not preg because of how i carried.

rachel, nz, mum to two gorgeous girls!

Hello

Well with my first he was 8 ib 4 oz and I am not that big! usually size 8! I couldn't fit into my jeans with my 1st pregnancy from about week 9! my tummy was bloated not showing!

Now I am 12 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and can still wear my jeans! how strange!

My ob thinks I will still have a big baby!

bye

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Sign in to follow this topic