Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. Whats the difference between a spinal block and an epidural??

Whats the difference between a spinal block and an epidural?? Lock Rss

we are trying to get preg with bub number 2 . and it will have to be c-secton. (unfortunatly) but anyway, whats the difference between the 2 and does each one have different side effects????

all info i can get would be great.

Thanx
Michelle

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Hi Michelle

As far as I know the difference is that a Spinal block goes in deeper (if you know what I mean) and is a one off that lasts for 30mins approx and they don't do another one - it also works faster, whereas the epidural can be continual ie they can keep topping it up and it can be more controlled but takes longer to work.

My friend had a c-section and had a spinal block and also an epidural as the spinal block started to wear off.

I had an epidural when I had my twins and the only problem I found was that it took a few goes to get it in properly and then it ended up not working and they had to start again but once it was all in and working it was fine, the only side effect I got was pins n needles in my legs as it wore off.

Hope this helps, I would talk to my midwife or maybe ring the hospital as both should be able to give you all the info that you need.

Liz
i have had both with the spinal block i could not feel any pushing or pulling but could with the epidural . the spinal block can last up to 4 hours but cant be topped up

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

hi guys
thanks for your replies.

which do you think has the least side affects.?

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

dont take this as bible

but i thought a spinal block and an epidural were different there is more feeling with the spinal block where epidurals numb everything i had an epidural as your local doc or search online to get the true answers

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Hi, I dont know alot about spinal blocks, but I had an epidural and found it helped me out so much, especially after being in labour for so long, it helped me to relax and focus on rest I needed when he would be ready to crown and come out,
I was very impressed with it. Ren : )

Ren, Qld, 2yr boy

Sign in to follow this topic