Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Considering having a third child Rss

I have two daughters aged 19mths & 4mths, for about a month now I have been constantly thinking of having another baby.

My husband has said if we have another we wait about a 1 to 2 years before trying again.

I was just wondering what your opinions are on the age gap between 2-3.
Is it too big when 1 & 2 are so close (15mths to the day).

Thanks

Jodi
I can only speak for my experience, but I had 3 years in between my number two and three. I don't think it is so much the age gap that is an issue, but the workload that increases from two to three. From one child to two, there is definately an increase, but from two to three children the difference is huge. I'm sure people that have three children or more will tell you that three children doubles the workload from two. All of a sudden you only have two hands and three kids and the extra washing, food preparation, seatbelts and extra stuff in the house is surprisingly different. Even going from three to four, was less impacting than going from two to three, for me. I think that once you have three, four or more is not much different! I need to wash every day, cook meals ahead of time and freeze them etc to really stay on top. I have to have a great organization system in place at home and be totally prepared the night before to go out the next day. This is different for me, though, because I have one in school and one in preschool. The school runs every day can be pretty full-on. It was my motto, when planning my next baby, that we were ready for another one as soon as we didn't have to visit the baby aisle in the supermarket anymore. When the youngest didn't wear nappies or need baby food etc anymore - we would go again!! That is until number four surprised us, less than two years after number three. I have said in previous posts, though, that I can see the benefit of having them close together before your eldest needs to go to school. A toddler and baby, doing the school run, scheduling feeds and sleep times,and chasing two year olds is not much fun. Good luck whatever you decide - I say give it a lot of thought about the future and do what you feel is right. (Of course Hubby has to be on board with your decision too!)

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi Jodi

I myself have only got one baby at the moment but am hoping to eventually have 3 one day.

My husbands mother had 3 children within three years, the third was unplanned, and she was worried how she would ever cope with three. Apparently it was a lot of hard work but only for the first few years and once the older two were in school it got easier.

I have heard that three children is the equivalent of working 2 full time jobs! However I have spoken to other mums with three and whilst they all agree that it is a lot of hard work for a while, the close age gap is good.

Good luck with whatever you and hubby decide.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi Jodi,

I am almost in the same situation, but conceiving has never been easy for me, so it's more a wait and see thing i guess.

Things are just starting to get a bit easier now with a 1 and 3 year old!

I agree with what Kristy said, it would be hard but well worth it!

Goodluck,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Thanks for your quick responses,

I know it will be hard, my mother had 3 under 3 and I am the middle child I have a younger sister and older brother, I loved that we are so close in age, it was great when we were little and real pain when we were teenagers and fantastic now.

I am just worried about the third feeling a little left out because they all wont be around the same age, especially if its a girl.

Jodi
Hi Jodi

I am also in a similar situation to Tepe!

I have a nearly 4yr and a nearly 1yr and have just started trying for number 3. I am both excited but nervous about trying for our 3rd as I know it will be both hard but rewarding! I have never had trouble conceiving (1st within 4 months...2nd (m/c) within a month...3rd within 4 months). The part I hate most is waiting to see if I miss a period or not as I like to know then and there if the deed was done!!'
Impatient I know!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Hi Jodi,

I just thought I would add my experience to this subject. I have 2 girls 12mths apart and considered having a third when my second daugther was 4mts old. We did fall pregnant but miscarried at 16wks. If I had the third pregnancy I would have had three kids under 2 and 1/2 yrs old. I am now three months pregnant with baby number 3.

I like the fact that my children will all be close together. Emily will be 3 and Ellen a week off 2 when the baby is due. My husband and I also like the fact that whilst it is very hard and tiring having them close together, the sleepless nights, toilet training, going to school etc, will all be over with within three years of each other, instead of spanning a 10 year period.

Anyway we are excited about having a third, but may I suggest that maybe you suggest the subject with your husband once your little baby is crawling and starting to move around. My husband wasn't very keen on the third when Ellen was 4mth old, but was very keen once she was crawling and becoming a bit more independent.

Good luck with the third. I am sure you and your husband will figure out what is right for you both.

Danielle

QLD DD 2/02 DD 3/03 DD 2/05 Jack 23/3/07

Hi Jodi!

How are you? Well, I have just found out that I am pregnant with number 3 and will be in a similar boat to Michelle as my 2nd and 3rd will only be 19 months apart! I am so glad I have Michelle there!!

Take care

Mum78

Congratulations, you must be thrilled.

We have decide to wait at least a year before deciding either way, we had a bit of a scare last week I was 5 days late, my husband was such a worry wort all week, it made me realise he really wasn't ready for another one yet, I was excited at the thought but I am really enjoying the way things are at the moment, and a bit afraid of stringing things up.

I am so happy to hear your news and look forward to hearing more about your pregnancy and how you handle having 3 kidlets.
Hi again everyone,

Well i am still unsure too.....i am just letting nature take its course. If it's meant to be, then it will.

Although i am feeling more confident about 3 now.....

Congrats Mum78, that's so good....good on you!!!

Take everyone,

Tepe

Thanks Tepe!

I was unsure how I would handle it at first as I was still trying to believe my eyes with the 2 lines as I didn't expect to fall straight away. But know it has finally sunk in I know that no matter what we will cope and having a supportive and helpful hubby helps too!

We did the same as you Tepe and thought if it is meant to be it will happen...and bamm...it happened straight away! Hubby was so excited and was just bursting to tell everyone....after he said we would wait till I was further along...well that certianly didn't happen...he had to tell everyone!!

Take care

Hi Nadine,

It's wonderful to hear you sooo happy! It really means it is meant to be. I wish you all the best for the next 8 months or so, and hope to hear about your journey along the way!

Take care, and put your feet up, at least when the kiddies are in bed!

Tepe

Sign in to follow this topic