Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. Ideas of clothes to wear until you are really showing

Ideas of clothes to wear until you are really showing Lock Rss

Hello Everyone

I am currently 14 weeks pregnant and only 1 pair of my jeans still fit me!

I have maternity clothes but would feel silly wearing them as I my tummy is not quite big enough if you know what I mean

I was just wondering what other people do for clothes until they get to that tummy really showing stage

thanks

bye

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Hi Melly,

I have found that most of my pants still fit me at 34 weeks - (lucky that my bump isnt huge smile ppl only started noticing my bump around 24wks) but most of the pants I buy for work are a bit stretchy.

I have found that some of my lower sitting pants (hipsters but not really low ones) are great, most of have a bit of stretch to the fabric. One, from Glassons, a stretchy fabric with nice wide hipster- type waistband with the zip below the waistband & a pair of jeans from sussans with a similar waist, are fantastic - I have found the zips in the fromts of my others cut into my bump now along with the waistbands of the pants that dont stretch sad also I have a couple of pants without waistbands where the zip is in the "bum seam" which are from Shantons that are great (I dont think you have Shantons over there?). I found normal fitted shirts dont last long with the bump, but I found the tops that were like a knitted style great because they stretch with your bump too (not so great now that its starting to warm up unless you can find nice light ones) & the longer knitted jumpers I found were good & most can still be worn in future as they havent changed shape (yet). Weekends I live in my hipster style track pants since they still fit & are comfy & mat. tees that I'm glad I did get (raiding hubbys tees is good too).
Its been worth having these clothes in my wardrobe & if you need to buy, its also a lot easier on the pocket since mat clothes are so much more expensive - I was dreading forking out for them, even now I have a few pairs of maternity pants, shirts and tees, mainly to see me through these last few weeks in case my lil bump has a huge growth spurt! (no sign it of yet).
I hope my rambling gives you some ideas & good luck with your pregnancy too!

Arna & Paije (29/09/04)

I have a belly belt that I have worn thru all my pregnancies. It is great. It is three elastic belts (small, medium and large) with a button and a button hole to attach to your normal pants. It has fabric panels to attach to the largest belt to cover the zipper gap! This enabled me to wear my normal clothes all the way through even with baby number four. They are expensive at around $35+ but I have seen them in pre-loved baby shops and in the paper second hand. I also bought capri pants from Sussan Grae that were really stretchy and low waisted. These fitted me until the end, too. Try preloved maternity shops for clothes or in the paper, second hand. Most people don't wear them very long (obviously) and often for only one or two pregnancies. Good luck!

PS If you are handy with a sewing machine or know someone that is, you could have a go at making your own belly belt. You can also buy maternity tummy panels from fabric shops to sew into normal pants.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Maternity clothes can be a bit more expensive and because we only wear them for a few months you might as well get ur moneys worth and wear them right from the start.
who cares what others think . and u have to be comfy. smile .

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Hi Melly,
I invested in the belly belt, it's fantastic. They also do another one now that clips (rather than butons) onto pants. I wore my normal jeans/pants/shorts etc. right up until I delivered.

I invested in quite a few maternity tees and some bigger sized cheapy cheap shorts from Big W for lounging around home. I also had a couple of good shirts/blouses for xmas lunches that I had to attend. If I needed any long sleeved tops, I went through Hubbys wardrobe LOL!!

Jo

mum of 1

Hi Melly,

I lived in a pair of elastic waist cargo style pants till about 34 wks, in fact i had two pairs in different colours. I just always wore a big T shirt or jumper over the top.

At the end i lived in a pair of maternity jeans, that i just could not have lived without. They were great for shopping or for going out to dinner etc.

Goodluck,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Melly,

I am 17 weeks pregnant and have the same problem. I have the problem of when i found out i was pregnant i had no clothes that weren't fitted, so as soon as i put on a bit of weight they didn't fit at all.. So i just went and bought a few tops in a bit bigger sizes, i am usually a 10, so i bought a few size 14s and when i get bigger i will go up a bit. Just so after i have my boys i can put clothes on that are not maternity clothes until i get back to my pre-baby body. I bought a few pairs of maternity pants that really are lovely and don't look like maternity pants, they are just stretchy and look good. I also have been just living in track suit pants because you can wear them below your belly! I hope this helps you.

Rachel, ACT, Twin boys due Feb 05

Hi,

I am currently pregnant with my 3rd child and have found some really good maternity clothes to buy and not expensive either.

I bought some pairs of 3/4 pants that are made from a really comfy cotton and are stretchy. As I am not showing yet but am hating things around my belly. My sis-in-law also had these same ones when she was pregnant and found she could wear them right before she showed up until she gave birth and even afterwards...so you get great wear out of them! They sit just nicely under your belly too!

I find buying maternity clothes that will stretch as you grow to be the best buys as you can usually wear them afterwards while you are still sizing back!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Oh and forgot to add to my last post....which is waiting to be approved....that those pants only cost me $24.95!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Hi Melis

I am nearly 14 weeks pregnant now and my jeans are very tight. I am wearing a belly belt and long stretchy roll neck tops and jumpers for the time being.

I find wearing items maybe one or two sizes bigger (if it is a close, stretchy fit) can usually see me through to about five or so months when the maternity clothes start to fit well.

Also, I went shopping the other day and noticed these great Pea in a Pod roll top jeans and pants that you can wear through your whole pregnancy. They are stretchy around the waist and you can wear the waist rolled down under your belly or up over it and they look fantastic.

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi,

I used the belly belt for a little while, but it wasn't long until I grew out of that. I was very large with both of mine, to the point where I was told by staff at maternity shops that given my size at 14-16 weeks was I was unlikely to find anything to fit at the end. I ended up making some loose cotton tops, in patterned material, that did not look too maternity - I continued to wear them while breastfeeding. Because they were cotton, they were also quite cool, and very easy to iron. I matched these with a pair of very very stetchy maternity pants. Before I made them though, I had undone a little bit at the bottom of the side seams of all of my blouses to try to postpone the need for maternity wear as much as possible. I was in maternity clothes, and obviously pregnant at 14 weeks with my first and 12 with my second.

Good luck.

mum to 2 girls

Hi Melissa,

I am 15 weeks and am having the same problem. At home it is tracky pants and t-shirts. I also have 1 pair of jeans that still fit, but it wont be for long. I used to have maternity overalls, they were heaven I lived in them with the 2 boys, but unfortunately gave them away. I have some maternity jeans ready and waiting that ibough on special at K-Mart for $7 each on special I bought 3 pairs so I can cut one for shorts when I am bigger, and am getting my aunty to take in another pair for the smaller belly and also have one pair that will saty in tact. Maybe have a look if tehy still have them on special I bought the last pair 2 weeks ago.

Kathy

Kathy,VIC,Josh 8, Alex 7, Michael 1

Sign in to follow this topic