Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. What age do you consider too old to have a baby

What age do you consider too old to have a baby Lock Rss

I'm just curious.
When I was TTC number 1 I thought I would not want to be any older than 36 yrs old when bub was born. We started TTC when I was 31.
I ended up being 35 when DD1 was born. Then I had DS at 36 and thought the idea of having a baby at 38 was horrid.
Funny how you change your mind about these things though.
I was so sure I was not finished so I had DD2 who was born when I was 38 yrs old.
Now I'm 39 and still feel like I have not finished but don't know if I can take all the stress or worrying that baby is ok during the pregnancy. I worried so much with my last!
What are your thoughts?

for me personally, I couldnt imagine having kids past 35.
I regards to my opinions on the ages of other mums, I feel a bit weird about people 50 plus having kids.
But in saying that, the number you are doesnt always reflect your physical age IYKWIM
i say GO FOR IT! wat if u dont now but do wen ur 43 ull be hoping u did it wen u were 40. the more the merrier i say!
personally i think anything past 35 is too old to be having your first.

I wouldnt personally have a child at 40 but then I started my family at 21 and am planning on having "my life" at 40, but if you feel that it is right for you then you shouldnt think anything is wrong with it. It depends on the kind of person you are. If you are a young at heart viberant person then you wouldnt consider yourself "too old" to raise your kids.

After all plenty of men have younger wives and have kids at 50...
I think age, along with having kids is such a personal thing! No-one can say who is right or wrong when it comes to age & having kids smile

For me though, I wouldn't try after 35. That's my cut off for numerous reasons, but like I said it's everyone's personal choice smile

I think it is something you can't really know until you are in that position. I would never be able to convince DH that a 4th was a good idea. I hadn't convinced him a 3rd was a good idea so the BFP was a bit of a shock for him, not so much for me ...hehe.
I guess I'm just thinking about things that will never be.....sigh....

i think it depends on the situation.... my mum had me when she was 39 and already had 4 sons between 12 and 20! for me it was quite hard because they had left home and it was like being an only child. My mum went grey really young so everyone was always asking if she was my grandma lol
But i think if your children are closer in age it wouldn't be too bad and it would really come down to how you feel physically
I had Ds at 21 partly because i didn't want too wait til i was older and find out i couldn't have kids!

I'm just curious.
When I was TTC number 1 I thought I would not want to be any older than 36 yrs old when bub was born. We started TTC when I was 31.
I ended up being 35 when DD1 was born. Then I had DS at 36 and thought the idea of having a baby at 38 was horrid.
I was so sure I was not finished so I had DD2 who was born when I was 38 yrs old.
Now I'm 39 and still feel like I have not finished but don't know if I can take all the stress or worrying that baby is ok during the pregnancy. I worried so much with my last!
What are your thoughts?

GO FOR IT!!
If you want a bubby have one i say. You are only as old as you feel! You dont want to regret not having that baby when you could, there are 5 of us in my family my oldest brother is 28 then next older brother is 24, im 22 my younger brother is 14 and my younger sister has just turned 5! My mum is now 46 so had just turned 41 when my youngest sister was born, there are no "issues" with age etc we are all a great family and i think you'd be silly to pass it up just because you think people might think you're "too old" its not like your 60. smile

I'm just curious.
What are your thoughts?

I'm due my first and will be 34 in Jan, if i do decide to have number 2 it wont be straight away so will be around 36 i guess, i dont feel too old, and my hubby is 45, we both are really healthy and look alot younger than we are (might change once we have bubs lol), I reckon over 42isj is getting there for trying to conceive but I say whatever, it's up to the individual.

i think the financial and emotional stability you can offer a child far outweighs the age of the mum
Everyone is different it depends on each persons situation aswell
BUT
I come from a family where my father was 52 when i was born and coming from the childs point of view it makes me sad that im only 24 now and hes 76 and he keeps saying things like planning for his funeral etc etc (typical old people rubbish) but i spent my childhood growing up worrying if he will be alive when i get married, have my kids and all that. People think hes my grandfather (which doesnt bother me) but i just wish he was younger for MY sake.
He lives with me and my partner now coz he needs to be supervised as he has a problem with short term memory and somedays i wonder what it would be like if he was younger.......

So all thats from the childs perspective. Im sure alot of people would love to have children later in life and for other reasons but at the same time think of what the child will be like with an 'older' parent...

Everyone is different it depends on each persons situation aswell
BUT
I come from a family where my father was 52 when i was born and coming from the childs point of view it makes me sad that im only 24 now and hes 76 and he keeps saying things like planning for his funeral etc etc (typical old people rubbish) but i spent my childhood growing up worrying if he will be alive when i get married, have my kids and all that. People think hes my grandfather (which doesnt bother me) but i just wish he was younger for MY sake.
He lives with me and my partner now coz he needs to be supervised as he has a problem with short term memory and somedays i wonder what it would be like if he was younger.......

So all thats from the childs perspective. Im sure alot of people would love to have children later in life and for other reasons but at the same time think of what the child will be like with an 'older' parent...

Hi Marmy 61.

What you say pretty spot on. I am forever wondering what my boys will think of me as we get older. I had my first at 19, then I had my little boys late in life at the ages of 37 and 38. I will be 41 this year, My daughter will be 22 and my boys will be 4 and 3. My husbands parents were 40 and 44 when he was conceived and when I asked him what it was like growing up with 'older parents', he said it never bothered him coz to him, they were his parents and their age didn't faze him one bit. He didn't know any better. However, I had another friend who had her daughter at 43 and when her daughter was 18, she straight out told her mum she was embarrasing coz she's so old and her friends think she's her nanna.

Personally I don't think anything up to 40 is too old. I know a few girls who've had them around that age. It really depends on how healthy you are too. If you still feel young physically and can cope, then go for it.

A part of me still yearns for another one. I just don't feel complete and would love just one more. I feel that i'm not ready to stop just yet but unfortunately we wont be having anymore due to the fear I had in my last pregnancy with my nearly 3 year old and having to have an amnio as he was at high risk of down syndrome. Thankfully, he didn't have it, but we just found out last week, he has mild/moderate Autism which has now made us definatly not have anymore. He is very demanding, and I want to just concentrate on making sure he gets the best care via early intervention that he needs and having a new born would not make that possible.

In the end of the day, do what you feel is right..Good luck.

3 gorgeous children to love forever

Sign in to follow this topic