Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

How to decide - 2 or 3 children? Lock Rss

We currently have 2 girls, one is 2 1/2 years old and the other is 5 months old.

I have mixed emotions of whether to have 2 or 3 children. I would dearly love to be pregnant again and to have another baby but think about the future, and the cost etc of raising 3 children. I keep thinking that if we have 2 we could provide more for them, though I'm sure we would manage with 3 as well.

How did others make the final decision on how many children to have?
Went with the gut... As someone once said you never regret the kids you have, only the ones you didn't.....
Hi,

In my experience if you are still thinking about having another bub and like you said would dearly love to be pregnant again, then I think you already have the answer! I was in two minds about having a 3rd as well but I thought ahead a few yrs and could always see our family being complete with a 3rd bub so we went for it.

I think if you really want to have another bub, you'll find ways to survive on what money you would have.

Good luck with your decision smile

Im currently pregnant with #3. I was also like your yourself. I was quite happy with my 2 but deep down i always wanted 3 and couldnt get passed that. As PP said you only regret what you didnt do so if you still want 3 in a years time id definately go for it.
My DH and I definitely want more....we have 2 kids. I'd love one more whereas DH would like at least 2 more! We are not rich, and have struggled financially but know that we'd do ok and would get by if we had another child. The important thing is giving them love and keeping them safe, raising them to be good, happy, law-abiding adults, regardless of one's financial situation grin. It will be a bit more of a challenge financially, but if we don't have another one I know we'll regret it later on....

Went with the gut... As someone once said you never regret the kids you have, only the ones you didn't.....

I like that. Still trying for #2 at present, but wanting 3 at this stage too, if I get that lucky. I reckon go for it - the above post says it all.

It is funny though - people are always asking me when is number 2 coming along. As though it is a given that I should want 2? But I wonder if after 2 kids - do they stop asking about #3? I have found the older generation particularly funny about when and how many kids you "should" have.

But agreed with other posts, even though can be a challenge financially, you find a way to make it work! Good luck!
I only want two kids personally i dont think i have enough time for anymore also then i can give them more money wise.If you want 3 have 3. smile
I agree with what was said previously about you don't regret the children you have, but you regret the ones you don't have. Ok, I come from a family of breeders...lol. Everyone has 3-7 kids lol. And it is amazing how ALL the women each say. You know when you are done. And not just the "Oh my god I'm never putting myself through labour/pregnancy again" done but the more spiritual "The family is complete" done.
I reckon if you have an inkling for one more and you look at your two and picture one more being there...Do it! (obviously the financial factors may come into play when planning age gaps, etc)but if you can...go for it!
My Auntie is a perfect example what I was pregnant I asked her about when she had my 4 cousins who were all under 4 before bubba number 5 what she thought and she said "There was a day I took the four kids down the beach and I was doing the head count and looked at them and knew one was missing". Then she had number #5 and said "I'm done".
You will feel it in yourself. I'm pregnant with number 3, and i honestly feel done. Although DH is already talking number 4 in a few years time, maybe NOT!!!
I've been thinking about this constantly too. If we do have another it won't be until DS2 is at least 3 (don't want 2 in nappies again) but I feel like I need to decide now for some reason. It's weird you would think I would just wait until the time comes to think about it but I can't stop thinking about it. My biggest concern is that we rent and while I'm not working I can't see us buying a house and it is so hard in our area to find somewhere to rent and while we have a perfect rental history I don't want to jeopardise our chances by having 3 kids. Has anyone found it harder to get a rental with three as opposed to two kids?
I struggled with this decision only last month.

In my head i ALWAYS only ever wanted 2 children.. financially, practically, emotionally this was what i felt was ideal. Hubby thought the same but our first son was to my Ex (but hubby has raised him as his own from 10 months of age). So my dear sweet hubby longed for another.. I always said no.. but then i had this feeling after Matilda.. this feeling of "Im not done!!"

Then we decided not to talk about it until the end of this year (this was last year) and then I was having a shower and thought.. I dont want a big age gap and through the girls words of wisdom on here "you never regret the kids you have but you always regret the ones u dont" We decided YES, we WILL have another..

..............which turned into us decided to TTC in June this year! lol Financially I would like a larger gap but I really wanted Matilda and this one closer together.. so yeah.. that was how we made our decision. Now we are looking into a bigger second car, looking into a new pram already (ours is now 7 years old!) accommodating the new baby.. even thinking of names already grin

I think in your heart u already know the answer..

I like that. Still trying for #2 at present, but wanting 3 at this stage too, if I get that lucky. I reckon go for it - the above post says it all.

It is funny though - people are always asking me when is number 2 coming along. As though it is a given that I should want 2? But I wonder if after 2 kids - do they stop asking about #3? I have found the older generation particularly funny about when and how many kids you "should" have.

But agreed with other posts, even though can be a challenge financially, you find a way to make it work! Good luck!

I hear you...When I had my first, everyone kept asking when is #2, I was not sure if I ever wanted #2 as I was so besotted with #1 and was scared that I couldnt love another the same LOL (Don't we all). So #2 did come along 4 years later. I knew I wanted another, but everyone keeps telling me You have enough, you don't need anymore you have a boy and a girl, don't be greedy, yet they ask SIL who has 4 girls when's your next one!
It drives me nuts that people think they can tell you how many kids you how many kids you can have.
I am TTC #3 because my heart tells me that someone is missing, but I know that I will get lots of crap from family/friends who think they now better. Our financial situation could be a little better, but we do OK and the most important thing is that I can provide Love and care for my children.
Good luck with everything grin
Sign in to follow this topic