Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

PCOS Lock Rss

Hi all
You might have read my previous post, TTC #2 for 9 months, I have really irregular periods, and no ovulation.
I am worried about PCOS, I had a blood test the other day, to check hormones and thyroid, and tests came back normal.
Does PCOS put your hormones out of whack? Or a blood test could be OK but internal exams may show it up?
I have a gyno appointment in a few weeks, but have been googling and googling and googling so much I'm making my head spin and confusing myself lol.
So if someone could dumb it down for me?
Thanks smile

I had endometrosis, and strongly believe I had PCOS before the arrival of DD.

I found that the best resource on the internet was www.soulcysters.net- it is a forum full of people world wide with PCOS and gives you an idea of what symptoms equate to PCOS.

Note that a lot of doctors / gyno's won't actually diagnose PCOS easily (my own case is a proven one of that hence I can only say I had endometrosis) so getting a diagnosis can be the highlight of your world if you do get a doctor to diagnose you.

Good luck, it's really not nice to experience.

""
When i had my tests done to confirm PCOS, i remember having a glucose test and that came back high (i think) and hormone tests and they were not right either, but dont hold me to that, it was over a year ago so i cant really remember. But when they did my internal scan you could definatley see that i had it.

good luck with everything!! smile

HI!

I have PCOS and this is my basic knowledge of it as explained to me by my GP and specialst.

PCOS stand for polycystic ovary syndrom. The main characteristic of PCOS is Cysts on the ovaries. These cysts are cause by eggs that are released but do not move down the tubes as they arement to. Instead they attatch to the ovary. They can then become cancerous. The reason they do this is because of a combination of hormone imbalance and increased levles of the androgen hormone.

All these things cause weight gain (which is often hard too lose), pimples, changes in menstrual cycle (usually not getting periods, difficulty getting pregnant, other skin changes, type 2 diabetes. In some more extreme cases there can be decreased breast size, increased hair even enlarged clitoris.

Because PCOS is a sydrome not a disease women can often be diagnosed with PCOS without having all of the symptoms or all of the physcal causes ie; not having cysts but having hormone imblance along with most syptoms.

To have PCOS you would have to have a hormone imbalance or an increase in androgen hormone. So I would guess that it is most likely something else if your tests came back normal?

I hope everything goes well for you and that it turns out you have no problems grin xx

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Hi all
You might have read my previous post, TTC #2 for 9 months, I have really irregular periods, and no ovulation.
I am worried about PCOS, I had a blood test the other day, to check hormones and thyroid, and tests came back normal.
Does PCOS put your hormones out of whack? Or a blood test could be OK but internal exams may show it up?
I have a gyno appointment in a few weeks, but have been googling and googling and googling so much I'm making my head spin and confusing myself lol.
So if someone could dumb it down for me?
Thanks <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

It can show up on either/or bloods and scan. A scan is generally more acurate, my bloods show alot better then my scans.
Also I find the PCOS Awareness group on facebook really usefull.
ARGH! pcos really really sucks! It's a tricky little bugger that manifests inself in different ways in everyone.

My own experience - I knew at 18 I had polycystic ovaries due to an ultrasound for something else. However many years later when I was having trouble conceiving I told my doc I have polycystic ovaries and he brushed it off, said it was overdiagnosed. But he sent me for blood tests which showed pretty much normal. However I was insistent (although I think he thought I was making it up) so he did an ultrasound and sure enough. However just becuase you have the cysts doesnt mean you have the syndrome. So the next month I had more blood tests and this time they definitely showed my hormone levels were out of whack. Doctor said I think you have pcos - what a einstein wink

So what I'm saying is - you can have cysts which come and go (or not) you can have hormone levels which fluctuate, you can have awful other effects like hair growth and acne (mine came back when I came off the pill) and you may be overweight with insulin resistance (or not - like me). Bascially doctors look at a combination of things and decide whether its pcos or not - but there is a huge scale on which you can fall. Hope that helps!
Hiya,

yeah this PCOS thing has sent me into a panic! I read your other thread a few weeks ago and decided to go back to the doc for some more advice and she's sending me for the ultrasound, booked in for a couple of weeks time - thank you littleboy blue - I was kinda 'too scared' to go back to the doc incase something really was wrong! Like you I have been googling this pcos thing....as far as I'm aware, don't have any other symptoms except for very irregular periods. Any other ladies out there been for the ultrasound and came back with nothing wrong, ie not have pcos? What was your next step???

Will post up here anything extra I can find out from the ultrasound.

Mmmm, my cousin who is like a sister to me rang over the weekend to tell me she is 7 1/2 weeks preg....she was scared to tell me because she knows we've been trying for over a year. Some people have all the luck don't they...got off the phone and grabbed a box of tissues for the tears!!!
Sign in to follow this topic