Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. TTC and pregnancy following placental abruption

TTC and pregnancy following placental abruption Rss

hi everyone, a year ago, i had my baby early via emergency csect due to placental abruption. we are now trying for another baby. i am wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, or if anyone knows the risks involved? i am lead to believe i have a reasonable chance of reoccurance of the abruption at a similar or earlier gestation?

some real life experiences would be appreciated, or even just some words of wisdom.

hi everyone, a year ago, i had my baby early via emergency csect due to placental abruption. we are now trying for another baby. i am wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, or if anyone knows the risks involved? i am lead to believe i have a reasonable chance of reoccurance of the abruption at a similar or earlier gestation?

some real life experiences would be appreciated, or even just some words of wisdom.

I don't have any personal experience, but apparently if you have had a placental abruption there is a 10% chance of it recurring in subsequent pregnancies. This site provides some good info.

All the best with your TTC journey. I hope you are in the 90% where it doesn't recur <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
Hi, my 1st pregnancy ended up in an emergency caeser due to placental abruption (among other things) as well. It wasn't early though, I'd been induced.

I have just had my 2nd bub and unfortunately it happened again. BUT, this time it was only right at the end. Bubs head was almost out so they just gave him a bit of help with the vacuum and all was good. (I had a VBAC)

Had no trouble falling pregnant though and no problems throughout the pregnancy. Just make sure your doc and the midwives know about it (as they would).

Good luck with TTC smile

Jess

/ur

with nikkita, the placenta seperated, while she was crowning, they didnt realise until after she was out. was natural labor, which at time of delivery was 38wks.

with felicity it happened at 35wks and ended in csect. 30% of the placenta was off, id lost alot of blood, and my uterus was blue...

i want just one more... but with it having happened both times, im just not sure what to do... woud prolly be a csect i dare to say, sad

the risk factors that site gave, i have none of them? lol. i dont know what caused mine, but with nikkita it was most likely her very short cord, which was wrapped around her throat, as when the placenta gave way, she began to move more freely dwn the birth canal. with felicity her cord was long, and they cant tell me why the placenta seperated so i have no idea what went wrong. i had lots of contractions the night before but figured they were just BH... only had pain during the contractions, and it was a pinching feeling on the lower left side at front. (which is where it detached)

when i woke the next morning i was in a pool of blood and the csect happened that night. id been in the labor room all day being monitored, but following the ultrasound i was immediately prepped for csect. the clot of blood under the placenta was bigger than her head!

hiya, i can only tell you what my doctors have told me and what treatmant i will have etc, i had a abruption 9 years ago and we are TTC again now, it has taken me this long to come around to the idea of going through this again, i was told because i have had one abruption im more prone to another, they will scan me every 2 weeks to keep an eye on how things are going (they did that on the last one due to babe being SFD's) but still had a abruption, i will have to have a c-section no say on that one, would prefer normal delivery but they say its too dangerous for me to try it. both me and babe nearly died so they want to be extra careful with everything,its a scary thing to go through a abruption, i have never met anyone until now that has been through it, also there are many many types of abruption some ladies dont even know they have had one until after babe is born and doctors tell them, and you get the most extreme where both mum and babe die, not a nice thing to happen to anyone, for most abruptions the cause is never know and is put down to "one of them things", i wish you good luck with TTC and if you need any other info i will help if i can.
they said they cant believe that my baby survived. the bleeding appeared to have stopped, so they became complacant. leaving me in the bed on the monitor all day till a scan at 3pm. csect was next available time, when the theatre was available just after 5. there was no break between my contractions, my uterus was blue with only slight pink mottling visable where placenta was still attached. the blueness was visable even through my skin.

when they examined the placenta, there was a few calcifications behind it, now i started the pregnancy with 4 babies, so they cant tell me if it was those babies grown into the placenta, or from previous bleeds that didnt come out of the cervix.

where the placenta had lifted off, the reason the bleeding stopped is that the blood clotted, at the cervix, and behind the placenta. blocking the flow path. when they cut me open, it started to free flow again, and i vividly remember all the staff jumping back cause it went everywhere. it was like a horror film!

im not sure if they will change their tune but before the csect took place they told me the hospital supports vbac (this was while i was haemorraging) cause i was hysterical cause i didnt want csect, and wanted a 3rd baby, was in our future plans. i had planned a drug free natural labor! couldnt have happened any further from plan! lol

i think my biggest fear is it happening again. both times its me that has suffered. both my girls were virtually unaffected. ill be terrified if my baby ends up in NICU again, like Felicity did. i hated being told i couldnt see her, or touch her. then the hospital stuffed up and gave her another womans breast milk down the naso tube. and amongst all this, i was in a room with 5 beds, and didnt have my baby with me. it was torture!

even though i want another baby, and once this period finishes we will be trying again (after 12mths of hubby saying no way no more kids, he has changed his mind, so i have to take the chance while i have it!) but i just realy dont know if i am prepared for what i may go through.

im also scared ill have trouble bonding, maily due to the fear of what might happen? i had planned for about 2.5-3 yrs before trying again (allowing myself 2 years to achieve a pregnancy) NOT the 12mths its turned out to be! im a little scared.....

both me and babe were within 20 minutes from death, with me i was bleeding behind the placenta and it was staying inside me, i was in the most awful pain and thats putting it nicely, i had a horrible midwife to begin with and i kept saying something is not right, i have had a child before and this felt so much different from the first pregnancy, but she kept telling me to keep still and i was not helping! they kept me like that for 4 hours until i was screaming so much that the midwife was annoyed with me and went and got another midwife, thankfully she listerned to what i was saying etc and within 10 minutes i was being preped for surgery.
babe was in special care for thankfully only 5 days, they did think it would of been longer but he's a fighter and proved them wrong, i was in a room by myself and every other mum had her babe with her and that was hard, i was allowed to hold him but only for a couple of minutes at a go as he needed to be kept very warm as he could not keep his tempature up, but he was on one side of the hospital and i was on the other side so i had to keep walking miles to go and see him which was not nice as i was in a lot of pain due to the stitches but no way i was staying in my room by myself and leaving him there by himself all day, the nurses did not like the fact that i was there all the time and kept phoning special care to check i was there!! so they ended up having a telling off from me regarding that and a few other things! lol it is not a nice thing to go through and like i said it has taken me 9 years to come around to the idea as im that scared what might happen, but i am getting older and this will be our last baby so i have to give it a go and pray everything goes ok.
bumping back to page 1. anyone else like to offer any thoughts, knowledge, or experience?

Sign in to follow this topic