Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. Can you get a false positive on preg test?

Can you get a false positive on preg test? Lock Rss

Well last wednesday i was at the drs and did a preg test and it came up positive got very excited as it took 3 years to fall with our first bub.
My cycle is all over the place so i cant pinpoint ovulation but i did spot for a few days and thats when i decided to go drs and she did a preg test.
Dr said the spotting could of meant ovulation or implantation.

Today i decided to do another test and there wasnt 2 lines sad
it was a Discover Onestep test.
Went to the drs and did a blood test to see whats going on now.
Now waiting for the results.
Got so annoyed actually more upset the test didnt show 2 lines.

Has this happened to anyone else?
I didn't think you could get a false positive cos they detect HGC which you can only have in your blood if you're prego... but you can get a false negative. don't panic yet. I wouldn't have thought your hormone levels, if your pregnancy had become unviable, could drop so drastically over a few days that they wouldn't be detected on a test. try to keep the faith and not to let your mind go crazy with the wait. yeah right!!!! it's an anxious time and your hormones will be all over the place making you very emotinal too. deep breaths and let us know how you go.

If you fancy a laugh, visit my blog which is basically a collection of observations and rantings about motherhood, people and the mundane. See www.callmepicky.blogspot.com.au

thats what i was thinking.... i never heard of getting a postivie preg test if your not pregnant but hey weird stuff always happens to me so things are not possible are sad

thanks feeling a bit all over the place trying to not think about it by telling myself not to think about it hahah smile
You are more likely to get a false negative, so the test you did yesterday was probably wrong, and personally I would have repeated on a different brand before rushing off to the docs, but thats just me, I tend to not go to the docs for much, so not really having a go at you, just saying it might've put your mind at rest quicker. In saying that, it is possible to get false positives as well depending on the used by date of the test, where and how it is stored and a few medications can show a false +ve, but more likely the -ve was wrong. Like the pp said, unlikely yourhcg levels would fall that dramatically if you had m/c. Just curious as to why you tested again? (I tested like almost weekly with my DS1...)

I did another test this morning from a different brand and again it was negative.

I even asked the dr last week are you sure the test is right sad she was sure it was right.... hmmmmmm maybe her test was faulty since i cant say she did the test wrong since she is a dr and does them all the time so i cant see any other reason for a positive result to them seeing negative results this week???
I took a few tests in April this year, two said neg, so got a different brand, and it said pos, so I went to the docs, theirs was pos then I waited a week and tried again with the first brand (there were three in a box and I was just curious) and it still said neg. Some tests just don't work and give negs regardless.

(now 18 weeks preg with the one i was testing for with the above)
ok update time.....dr just called and said the blood test came back and im not pregnant sad

thanks for the replies to my post just wish the outcome was better
sorry to hear that. it's such an emotional guessing game this conception caper. it took me a year and a half to have my first after 2 miscarriages and then another miscarriage at 12 weeks before my next one so i know the anguish. best of luck. you've done it once so hopefully you'll do it again. wink

If you fancy a laugh, visit my blog which is basically a collection of observations and rantings about motherhood, people and the mundane. See www.callmepicky.blogspot.com.au

sorry to hear that. it's such an emotional guessing game this conception caper. it took me a year and a half to have my first after 2 miscarriages and then another miscarriage at 12 weeks before my next one so i know the anguish. best of luck. you've done it once so hopefully you'll do it again. wink

thanks sweetie smile i hope so too

that was trhe same thing that has happened to me I did two clear blue and both did a faint line did a first response and came back neg so I thought oh well 1 was wrong as I am not due till thursday but started spotting today which is 2 days early so bought a digital one and that came back neg so going for bloods tomorrow hopefully I know what's going on

i hear you the spotting threw me off completely because the last time i spotted i was pregnant.

i pray your result is better than mine and your preggers smile

Nah it was bad it's a neg

<span class="emoticon sad">sad</span> im so sorry to hear that sweetie.... lets hope next time we both get better news!
Sign in to follow this topic