Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

IVF Questions Lock Rss

Hi Jenny

I have just finished my first IVF cycle and now into my TWW. It has been a long ride, but I remained very relaxed and just took everything it through at me and rolled with it, I handled the drugs very well with very little side effects, Finally got to pick up day and got 15 follicles I was over the moon to be told only 6 fertilized. I was very surprised it was going to be such a low rate, Then got a phone call on day 3 to say that 4 off the eggs had a bacterial infection which i am still waiting for the results to see what it was and that I only had 2 eggs left 1 was a grade 5 and 1 was a grade 4, I kept thinking don't worry they only need 1 keep your head together, so i had another 2 day wait to get to day 5 to see if the embroys would be any good for day transfer, made it to transfer day yesterday and both eggs had dropped a grade and therefore I had both embroys put back in because they were not suitable for freezing,So it is not looking very positive for my first cycle but I will still continue to be hopeful.

All i can say is I don't think anything runs to plan and try to not over think everything it will do your head in.

If you need any advice i am happy to help

Aleesha
Hi Aleesha

Thank you so much for sharing. You really opened my eyes to what can happen. I am still wearing some rose coloured glasses but I do expect that there may be some issues, especially considering my age. I hope hope hope that your baby sticks. Will you go again?

Jenny

Hi Jenny

I have just finished my first IVF cycle and now into my TWW. It has been a long ride, but I remained very relaxed and just took everything it through at me and rolled with it, I handled the drugs very well with very little side effects, Finally got to pick up day and got 15 follicles I was over the moon to be told only 6 fertilized. I was very surprised it was going to be such a low rate, Then got a phone call on day 3 to say that 4 off the eggs had a bacterial infection which i am still waiting for the results to see what it was and that I only had 2 eggs left 1 was a grade 5 and 1 was a grade 4, I kept thinking don't worry they only need 1 keep your head together, so i had another 2 day wait to get to day 5 to see if the embroys would be any good for day transfer, made it to transfer day yesterday and both eggs had dropped a grade and therefore I had both embroys put back in because they were not suitable for freezing,So it is not looking very positive for my first cycle but I will still continue to be hopeful.

All i can say is I don't think anything runs to plan and try to not over think everything it will do your head in.

If you need any advice i am happy to help

Aleesha
Hi all

Bit of an update from my appointment today. I had a US today and I am happy to say that everything is going nicely. We already have 5 good sized folicles and 7 small ones so that is good apparently. My E2 levels are very good as well so I am pretty happy. They did say that they would most likely harvest the eggs on Wednesday (which is two days early) so I need to get prepared for that.

There is a good chance that, if I get any good embryos, they will go back in on Saturday. Still a long way to go though.

Fingers crossed everything will go well. I really hope so.

Jenny
Hi I had my daughter Xmas day 2010. She was the only embryo I got and luckily she took first round. I was lucky. I have blocked tubes and doing another round in Jan for #2.

In regards to 2. Dh and I talk about this and we will only transfer 1 as with twins there's more risk of losing 1 or both or dealing with premie babies, have to make decision to terminate 1 for medical reasons etc. The clinic i went thro do not like transferring 2 for this reason. I think if you have had a few unsuccessful cycles Then they will do 2. So in the end it's a personal choice.

Good luck x

Your daughter is beautiful. I am pretty sure we will opt for 1 only. Everything I have read suggests that 1 embryo is safer and more sensible. I don't want to take any unnecessary risks. I have my daughter to consider in all of this. I just want a sibling for her.

I hope you have success with number two. Are you using a frozen egg or starting from scratch?

Jenny

Hi I had my daughter Xmas day 2010. She was the only embryo I got and luckily she took first round. I was lucky. I have blocked tubes and doing another round in Jan for #2.

In regards to 2. Dh and I talk about this and we will only transfer 1 as with twins there's more risk of losing 1 or both or dealing with premie babies, have to make decision to terminate 1 for medical reasons etc. The clinic i went thro do not like transferring 2 for this reason. I think if you have had a few unsuccessful cycles Then they will do 2. So in the end it's a personal choice.

Good luck x

Your daughter is beautiful. I am pretty sure we will opt for 1 only. Everything I have read suggests that 1 embryo is safer and more sensible. I don't want to take any unnecessary risks. I have my daughter to consider in all of this. I just want a sibling for her.

I hope you have success with number two. Are you using a frozen egg or starting from scratch?

Jenny

Hi Jenny
Thank you, we think she is gorgeous too. I must update that picture. she is now 10 months old. Oh and i think you asked a question as to whether there are side affects with learning for ivf babies...I think it was you who asked, maybe that was something else i read on the web? Anyway just so you know, my daughter has been so alert from the day she was born, held her head up the day that she was born and the nurses kept saying how alert she is. She was the first to get teeth in my mothers group. She was the first to crawl, so she's been a front runner so far. Not that im boasting but just so you know that there are no learning difficulties at all with IVF babies due to IVF proceedures.

Unfortunately i have to go through i whole cycle again. Kiarna was the only embryo that survived and luckily she took first round, very lucky and blessed in deed. I didnt get emotional at all with doing ivf, but i can imagine that it would get emotional if you have to keep trying round after round. Im starting ivf again in January and I have blocked tubes, but gonna keep trying to fall naturaly...a miracle might happen. Hopefully we get some frozen so in case it doesnt happen first round and wont cost so much having to pay out for full rounds each time. Just couldnt afford to do it financially. Im 36 and will be 37 in april so im wanting to have my babies as soon as i can. we would love 3 babies and that's where the talk about twins came in, whether we would put 2 back in when we try for ivf in january. but my clinic wont do it first round anyway. But hopefully we get some to freeze so we have the option to go back if we definitely want more than 2. I think we would keep going until all frozen embryos were used!! ha ha. Good luck x

laugh You could end up with a football team.

I did ask about development problems so thank you for answering that. Great news.

Well I am day 7 on Gonal F and they say the eggs will come out Wednesday so I hope they have had enough time. I am really calm now too. I am hoping that will help me achieve a positive result.

Time will tell.

Jenny

Hi Jenny
Thank you, we think she is gorgeous too. I must update that picture. she is now 10 months old. Oh and i think you asked a question as to whether there are side affects with learning for ivf babies...I think it was you who asked, maybe that was something else i read on the web? Anyway just so you know, my daughter has been so alert from the day she was born, held her head up the day that she was born and the nurses kept saying how alert she is. She was the first to get teeth in my mothers group. She was the first to crawl, so she's been a front runner so far. Not that im boasting but just so you know that there are no learning difficulties at all with IVF babies due to IVF proceedures.

Unfortunately i have to go through i whole cycle again. Kiarna was the only embryo that survived and luckily she took first round, very lucky and blessed in deed. I didnt get emotional at all with doing ivf, but i can imagine that it would get emotional if you have to keep trying round after round. Im starting ivf again in January and I have blocked tubes, but gonna keep trying to fall naturaly...a miracle might happen. Hopefully we get some frozen so in case it doesnt happen first round and wont cost so much having to pay out for full rounds each time. Just couldnt afford to do it financially. Im 36 and will be 37 in april so im wanting to have my babies as soon as i can. we would love 3 babies and that's where the talk about twins came in, whether we would put 2 back in when we try for ivf in january. but my clinic wont do it first round anyway. But hopefully we get some to freeze so we have the option to go back if we definitely want more than 2. I think we would keep going until all frozen embryos were used!! ha ha. Good luck x
Hi Jenny,

Best of luck with the transfer.. sounds like it might be today... so just rest afterwards or do acupuncture which I believe helps a lot.

I have a 9 month old DS from my first cycle of IVF, however it took 4 FET cycles to get him and I have to do a FET HRT (which is hormone replacement) for his one to work as i have PCOS. We had two frosties put back and we ended up with twins when we went for the ultrasound at 6 weeks...however at 7.5 weeks one of the heartbeats stopped (it was not strong to begin with) still very sad but my other DS went on very strong and is very healthy big boy...... just gorgeous.

I have just started another FET HRT cycle... only taking the pill at this stage as we have only one frostie left and I am dearly hoping this one works.... otherwise early next year I will try another cycle and see if I can get any more eggs.

Wishing you lots of luck, keep us posted:-)

Leanne
Thanks for that. I believe they will put the egg/s back next Saturday 29th. I am due for harvest next Wednesday 26th. It sounds like a lot of people have succes from their first transfer. Gives me a lot of hope hearing that.

I will definately keep you posted. smile

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Best of luck with the transfer.. sounds like it might be today... so just rest afterwards or do acupuncture which I believe helps a lot.

I have a 9 month old DS from my first cycle of IVF, however it took 4 FET cycles to get him and I have to do a FET HRT (which is hormone replacement) for his one to work as i have PCOS. We had two frosties put back and we ended up with twins when we went for the ultrasound at 6 weeks...however at 7.5 weeks one of the heartbeats stopped (it was not strong to begin with) still very sad but my other DS went on very strong and is very healthy big boy...... just gorgeous.

I have just started another FET HRT cycle... only taking the pill at this stage as we have only one frostie left and I am dearly hoping this one works.... otherwise early next year I will try another cycle and see if I can get any more eggs.

Wishing you lots of luck, keep us posted:-)

Leanne
Hi Jenny,
Best of luck for Wednesday. I'm currently almost 13 weeks pregnant with my first baby. This was our second IVF cycle. Our first cycle was unsuccessful and we had 2 frozen embryos that we had planned for transfer but neither survived the 'defrost' (but apparently that is quite uncommon). Our second IVF cycle was a great success. Not only am I currenly pregnant but we also ended up with 9 frozen embryos!! Our clinic will only transfer 1 embryo at a time unless you have exceptional circumstances. I also used acupuncture with my second cycle and found that it helped a lot (I know not everyone agrees but I think it made a massive difference in my second cycle, not only for physical but emotional side effects).
After not having a sucessful first cyle, my advice is just to stay positive and don't give up hope!
Hi, by the read of it, it sounds like you are getting very good and positive feed back..which is great. I gave 26 eggs (I got that 2% chance of hyperstimulation) so had to wait for another natural cycle before I could have my first transfer, out of the 26 eggs, 6 embryos were fertilised. We made a decision to only put 1 back at a time due to the % rate of success & together with the risks that come with multiple births, so in the end, the odds were better with 1. Our clinic's process is to freeze 2 embryos per straw and they thaw both at the time of transfer. only 1 embryo survived for the first thaw and we were very blessed as we have our nearly 4yr old son. We then tried for our 2nd and same thing happened, 2 were frozen in the same straw, 1 died and the other was transfered and we have just celebrated his 2nd birthday, both our boys are above average in their growth and show no signs of learning difficulties. 9 days ago the clinic thawed our last straw and out of the 2 embryos, 1 died and we transfered the last one. So I am currently awaiting our result. I have a 24 day cycle and day 24 is tomorrow, and i have spotting today, so I'm trying my hardest to keep my chin up and be positive, but its hard and it's emotional, but I believe if you own your feelings and speak them out, you then get a choice what you do with them. my feelings are the only thing I have control of in this situation. So my prayers and hopes are with you as you do your part to realise your dreams.

laugh You could end up with a football team.

I did ask about development problems so thank you for answering that. Great news.

Well I am day 7 on Gonal F and they say the eggs will come out Wednesday so I hope they have had enough time. I am really calm now too. I am hoping that will help me achieve a positive result.

Time will tell.

Jenny

I had 1 embryo transfered for the first four times and then the next 2 times i had 2 transfered. My clinic only did it because i had already had 4 previous transfers. I fell preg on the 2 transfer with my DS which is 2yrs old next week. Having 2 transfers increase your chances of twins but doesn't always happen. We will be starting again next yr. Oh and my son is a happy and healthy little boy no problems. Wishing you the best of luck and hope you have a bun in the oven soon
Sign in to follow this topic