Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. How big should my baby/nappy bag be?

How big should my baby/nappy bag be? Lock Rss

Hi I am shopping around for a baby bag and I noticed they are soo expensive! So I want to look for a bag but can you suggest to me how big they should be and what should I look for in a baby bag? Thank you smile
Shop around and have a look, really you just need a nappy bag for day use or if you are staying over somewhere.

You could also ask the people in the store?
I don't know about others but I find most of them too big. All I need to take with me is nappies, wipes and a spare set of clothes for bubs. In the early weeks I needed lots of clothes as he was a spewy one but what I need now I can fit in my handbag. Because I take the pram everywhere I have wraps and rugs in there already so the bag is not a big deal for me.

Might be a bit different for a formula fed baby with needing bottles etc but.

Hi there! I agree, there are so many nappy bags out there... it can be daunting!! It all depends what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. Some people look for a bag that looks more like a handbag than a nappy bag, some others want something compact, other big. Other mums don't even bother buying a nappy bag, they just use a backpack or large tote bag and put a few nappies, wipes and just purchase a bottle holder and a changing mat.
I purchased a OiOi nappy bag, it was just over the $100 mark (got it on sale), but it's great quality and it includes wipes case, bottle holder, mat, etc. I wanted something that even my hubby would carry around comfortably, so we picked something neutral, this one:
http://www.oioibabybags.com/home/oib/page_318_6...
Normally we carry baby health booklet, 5-6 nappies, wipes, a bib or two, a change of clothes, a muslin wrap, dummy, bottle and formula dispenser, sunscreen, hat. They are only small items and they all fit comfortably. You can find a lot of nice bags around, even at Target if you have a small budget. I guess what I would look for in a baby bag is what I am planningto put in it and who is going to use it other than me smile
Hi thanks for the reply! Thats good to know what I need to take with me! Gives a good indication of how big the bag should be.
I got my first one from Target. It was only about $40 and red so colour neutral so hubby wouldn't be embarrassed using it too! It was on the larger side but I used it instead of a handbag so it also had to carry my purse, keys, phone etc. Lots of compartments are handy and I also liked the insulated pocket on the side to keep a drink cold. You may think you don't need it to be very big, but once they get older and are eating solids you also have to start taking food & drink out with you.

When DD2 was born, DD1 was 4 so I just got a really big handbag with lots of pockets & zip compartments, and got a small nappy holder to throw inside.
I agree. Especially in those early days it's just diapers, wipes, heaps of bibs and a change of clothes. I could not believe the price of nappy bags so I bought a small overnight bag and got other little bags I could pack stuff into. So the diapers and change mat went in one bag. Change of clothes in another etc.

When DS started solids I needed more room so I started leaving a bag in the car or pram with change of clothes and extra diapers. Then when he started walking I switched to a backpack so my hands would be free.

knockonwood wrote:
It was only about $40 and red so colour neutral so hubby wouldn't be embarrassed using it too! .

Thats also a good point! Did you find that most of the time your with bubs or is bubs ever alone with dad? Im thinking of getting something thats gender neutral too, but I was also thinking that I'll be with bubs most of the time when we're out but I may need hubby to hold the bag if it gets heavy or something! But there are some really nice female bags out there that I cant make my mind up! What did you pack in your bag for a new born baby during summer?
I didn't like the nappy bag I first got so ended up just getting a bigger handbag from strandbags (at around 40-50) and it's perfect. Heaps of my friends have vanchi's and while they're great looking bags they're about $170 - TOO dear imo.

The bigger the better in my opinion

Little Miss's wrote:
chalys 'n' J wrote:
I don't know about others but I find most of them too big. All I need to take with me is nappies, wipes and a spare set of clothes for bubs. In the early weeks I needed lots of clothes as he was a spewy one but what I need now I can fit in my handbag. Because I take the pram everywhere I have wraps and rugs in there already so the bag is not a big deal for me.Might be a bit different for a formula fed baby with needing bottles etc but.

I agree with this. I also just bought a change mat from Aldi for less than $10. It fold us small and has pockets for wipes and nappies, cream etc. That just lives in my pram and I chuck everything into my handbag. If we are going somewhere for the day like my parents/MIL for friends, I have a basket that fits everything we need for the day. Including everything for DD1, Pj's if we will be late, towel, togs. smile

I do something similar. I have a b-box which fits 2 nappies, wipes, change mat and nappy sacks in - it's really neat and easy to grab out my bag with everything you need for a nappy change.

This time around I've found I tend to pack less stuff than with DS1

HappyHead wrote:
I didnt get a fancy expensive nappy bag, I went for a BabyGear black nappy bag from Big W for $40 which was definitely gender neutral.

It had two insulated pockets either end for bottles and enough space inside for nappies, wipes, spare change of clothes, snacks etc. Also had a side zip pocket for your keys & wallet. It was great function wise and if something spilt or it got a bit dirty it was no stress to wipe it clean and I wasnt thinking OMG I ruined an expensive bag.

It also had straps so you could carry it over the shoulder or hook it onto the back of your stroller.

I have the same bag, i bought it when i was pregnant with DD1 and i honestly cant remember why i chose that one, but i love it smile i kept it and now 7 yrs on with DD2 almost here i will be using it again. I have looked at some of the "prettier" bags in the shops but they have all the same compartments that mine has and i dont need another one. There is more than enough space for what i need to go in it. I may consider a bigger one after bub is born that can fit extra things for the older kids but it definitely wont be expensive i just cant justify it, honestly its just a bag smile
Happy Shopping
Sign in to follow this topic