Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. New to Forum - Questions re: Implantation Bleeding

New to Forum - Questions re: Implantation Bleeding Lock Rss

Hi everyone, I'm just new here so apologies if this isn't the right place to post or if a similar topic already exists.

My DH and I have been TTC over the last 12 months on and off (we were a bit stressed at the start of the year, so weren't "trying" a lot of the of the time) but have recently been putting more effort into TTC again.

About 1 week prior to my AF, I had what I assume must have been implantation bleeding. Blacky brown, not too much - but enough to wear a panty liner/pad. It was light, on and off during the day (not at night as I was horizontal and it was too light). The thing is, this has been happening for the last 5-6 days now and so I decided to do a HPT 2 days ago (about 4 days in to spotting) which was positive followed by another yesterdayy - also positive!

I'm a bit concerned though, as the bleeding/spotting hasn't stopped and I know implantation bleeding is not that common anyway, let alone lasting 6 days so far...has anyone else experienced this longevity of bleeding with a positive test result? It's still dark brown/black but sometimes I see a little dark red too.

Will be booking in to see the Dr, but I am so scared it is ectopic or something is wrong!

Update: Went to the doctor and she has confirmed I am pregnant, but is a bit concerned about the spotting, as usual implantation bleeding only lasts 2-3 days. It's really early days still, I'm only 3.5 weeks pregnant, but she has booked me in for an early pregnancy ultra sound this Monday to ensure the sac is there and in the right spot etc. She advised I head to a&e over the weekend if bleeding gets worse, or painful.

She did advise that some women bleed lightly on and off all the way through their pregnancy, but that it is more uncommon than it is common. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and worrier, so I am so scared it is something like an ectopic pregnancy, though she admitted it's quite early to be showing signs for ectopic.

This will be my first, so I really hope it all works out. In the mean time I think I will be on this forum a lot!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this? smile

I haven't experienced that, but just thought I'd say welcome to huggies forum! Good luck with your scan Monday & hope that the bleeding does settle down for you. And congratulations! smile
Wooden Spoon wrote:
I haven't experienced that, but just thought I'd say welcome to huggies forum! Good luck with your scan Monday & hope that the bleeding does settle down for you. And congratulations! smile

Hi Wooden Spoon, thank you smile It just adds uneeded extra stress to the early days, I guess. I am crossing my fingers and thank you for your good luck wishes!

I will keep this topic updated with how things go for me in case there are others in a similar situation smile

I just got my positive test today but I had spotting, very lightly for 6 days. I assume it was implantation bleeding and have read it can last up to a week. In my case I had a mc at easter and supposedly implantation and ovulation bleeding more common after this has happened. I'm very much a worrier after my mc but have my fingers crossed everything is fine. Sending you sticky baby dust
Pigleme wrote:
I just got my positive test today but I had spotting, very lightly for 6 days. I assume it was implantation bleeding and have read it can last up to a week. In my case I had a mc at easter and supposedly implantation and ovulation bleeding more common after this has happened. I'm very much a worrier after my mc but have my fingers crossed everything is fine. Sending you sticky baby dust

Hi Pigleme,

Yeah, I've read of one other forum members experience where she had light implantation bleeding for 8 days altogether, so I have my fingers crossed it will ease up soon. It concerns me that is so blacky brown, but apparently that is just old blood and means it happened a while ago (i.e. when implantation took place) so I guess I'll try not to be alarmed unless it turns bright red or I have a lot more of it or any hardcore painful cramps (just have on and off cramping at the moment, similar to ovulation cramps).

I am a huge worrier as well and from one worrier to another I must say that is the worst thing we can do! I have all my fingers crossed for you as well and sending you lots of sticky baby dust back smile Congratulations on the positive!

I had implantation bleeding with my last pregnancy for 8-10 days at the start and a month of further heavier bleeding for a month starting around 11 weeks. Resulted in little girl born a few weeks ago.
Kazzzav wrote:
Hi congratulations! Hope it all works out. Just wanted to say I had two twin pregnancies, we lost our first twins at different stages but with both pregnancies I had an implantation bleed that lasted about 6-7 days. Both times it was 8 dpo and started with a bright pink spotting then for the next 5ish days it was just old brown blood, usually just when wiping and not enough to need to wear a pad but it was there. I was really scared the first time as we did ivf and so i was expecting my period to arrive and that it wasnt successful but second time around I was confident it was implantation bleeding.

Hi Kazzzav,

Thank you smile
That must have been really hard the first time around for you, sorry to hear that sad
It is quite interesting, one of the first things the doctor asked me was whether or not I knew of any twins down my or my husband's family line. I think there is a set on my husband's side, but not immediate relations (cousins, I think). I didn't really think much of it at the time, but I wonder if implantation bleeding is more common with multiple pregnancies? Hmm. Might do some more research!

Thanks for sharing your story, it's comforting to know others have experienced similar situations smile

Miss Belle wrote:
I had implantation bleeding with my last pregnancy for 8-10 days at the start and a month of further heavier bleeding for a month starting around 11 weeks. Resulted in little girl born a few weeks ago.

Hi Miss Belle,

Thanks for your reply - I actually read a response from you on another thread a while back regarding implantation bleeding when I was searching the topic through the Huggies website. It's comforting to know there are others that have been in similar situations and it has all worked out okay in the end. Congratulations on your little girl smile

I guess being the first time ever, I am just disconcerted by everything - especially when the doctor lumps me in the "uncommon" or "cause for concern" category.

Did you have any light cramping when you had the 8 days of implantation bleeding?

Hi
No, never had any cramping that I recall. I was classed as high risk, and had issues at every scan and blood test, which meant that I ended up having an amnio and she came out fine (so far). I was expecting the worst the entire pregnancy but ultimately there is nothing you can do to alter what is happening. Wishing you all the best.
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update you all on the last couple of days (I hate when I go searching on the web and people never re-post what the outcome of their situation was!)

The early pregnancy scan was looking very inconclusive, however she could not find a sac in my uterus OR anywhere else...she did note that my left fallopian tube had a "thickening" but did not want to confirm fears of an ectopic until she'd spoken to the radiologist and my GP.

Off I went to get bloods done to check HCG levels etc.

Doctor called me in the afternoon to confirm suspicions re: ectopic and asked me to come to see her immediately for a follow up.

Because I am so early (today would put be at 4.3 weeks), she has decided to "treat me conservatively" which pretty much means she is going to monitor me while nature takes it's course. Because there was no sign of a sac in my tube and because I'm in not too much pain, she wants to treat me in the most non invasive way possible.

My HCG came back at 450, which apparently isn't too high, and I will have my bloods done again tomorrow to ensure that the levels are still dropping.

In an instance of lots of pain, lots of blood or rising HCG levels, I will go to hospital to be re-assessed.

I've looked up the various options online, and I would really LOVE to avoid surgery and all the worst case scenarios that have been outlined. I don't know if it's available over here, but in the UK they can also treat ectopic pregnancies with an injection of a hormone which lowers your HCG levels quickly which results in the cells of the fertilised egg no longer being able to divide (grow).

So I guess it's back to the drawing board for me, then. It is advised that we don't start TTC again until 3 months! I was offered some counselling etc, but to be honest I wasn't letting myself get excited until after the scan yesterday. The thing that makes me more sad is the waiting time before trying again.

The other thing that makes me a little worried is that your chance of having another ectopic is heightened if you have already had one before. I think I'd be upset to have to go through this all over again. Sigh.

I will keep updating with my journey through the treatmrnt of this ectopic pregnancy. I've been advised to stop taking my folate supplements.

At the moment I have light cramping on the left hand side of my abdomen (it's my left tube that has thickened) and still have the spotting.

Would love to hear anyone elses story of an ectopic pregnancy if they felt like sharing smile

Oh HayleyNZ, I'm sorry that you're going through this.

I've not had an ectopic myself, I've had two missed miscarriages, the first was a blighted ovum (where there's a sac and everything to support a pregnancy but no baby) and the second we saw an embryo with heartbeat at 6.5 weeks, but we found out that they'd died at our 10 week scan. Both times I had a d&c.

With my first, we identified there was a potential issue around 6.5 weeks and I was being monitored and my HCG was rising but only very slowly. Originally there were suspicions of an ectopic because I was having some cramping on one side, but I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks which ruled that out.

When they were talking about ectopic, I was told briefly about Methotrexate, which is I think the non-surgical option but means you can't TTC for three months while the drug is still in your system.

Hugs, having been there myself I know how much it sucks being in this waiting place when you're being told that the outlook isn't good. Take care of yourself.

When I had my ectopic I didn't have pain on one side, it was central and low. Also had 'bleeding' but it was a weird kind of watery black/brown. Ultrasound at 7 weeks confirmed ectopic and my tube was close to rupturing so off I went for emergency surgery and got the tube removed. Doctors said wait a month then try again. We did and got pregnant again on 2nd cycle after surgery.

Sign in to follow this topic