Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

New summer baby - help!! Rss

Hi... Im 7 months pregnant with my first baby. I'm due on the 26th of December (day after Christmas)
This will of course be smack bang in the middle of an Australian summer. Our house is not air conditioned, and im worried about bringing my newborn home to such conditions. I will have fans, but I suppose its not right to do - leave a fan on a newborn all day *shrugs*
Anyway... does anyone have any tips on how to keep baby cool/less destressed during the hot weather?...
Very nervous new mum to be here.... thanks!

Cindy due 26th December 04

keep up the fliud intake and just dress bub in cotton lose fitting clothes. singlet and nappy. if bub gets a bit clamy and sweaty a luke warm bath is good too. but dont put a fan on a newborn no matter how hot they get. as bub could get a chil.
i realise u cant do it everyday but a trip to an air-conditioned shopping centre could be ok for you to, not just bub. dont panic too much thought, my daughter was 6wks xmas day and we just had here in her rocker on the floor in singlets and nappies everyday, and she was fine, we lay her in the bath ,didnt worry about washing her every time tho.
and our house was awful. hot in summer and freezing in winter. smile .
take care if u are calm bub will be too.
enjoy your pre baby days and get plenty of sleep lol

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Hi Cindy,

These are a few things I did when my son was born in April (which believe it or not, we had quite a few hot days).

I find during the hot weather that bubs can pretty much wear a singlet/boby suit which is adequate. Just make sure that bubs does not feel cold through out the day. Make sure you have a least one room in the house including the nursery cool by keeping the blinds/curtains closed. Still put bubs to bed with a light blanket as you will need to keep the chill off. I probably wouldn't have the fan near the baby as they can get cold easily.

When you have a baby you gut instincts kick in, and you will work it out and I can guarantee you, you will be fine.

Sal
Hi Cindy,

I have had two babies in Feb/Mar weather and the third is due in March, so I have had summer babies for all of them.

I had a pedastal fan but the cot was on the far side of the room and the fan was in the doorway and would rotate so it wasn't on the baby. I also let my babies live in a singlet and nappy. I also had muslin wraps. These are lightweight and cool material which was great for summer.

I still covered the baby to keep the chill off, but if you are going to use a pedastal fan, try and place it as far away as possible and only use it in short intervals. Try and keep the room cool as Jacksmom said by closing the curtains etc.

Good luck with your baby, your instincts will kick in and you will know what is right for you baby then.

Danielle

QLD DD 2/02 DD 3/03 DD 2/05 Jack 23/3/07

I had my son in spring last year when i came home with him it was horrible it was like a summers day it was windy as anything and 39 degrees (it was like that for the whole first week he was home)i had no air-con either so i layed him on the floor in the lounge room on his lambs wool and he only had a nappy on i put a warm/cool washer on his belly and that was the only way he would sleep. The ladies at the hospital suggested this to me and it wroked wonders.
we had ceilng fans installed. they dont blow so much on the bub. just circulate the air. just dress in singlet & nappy and use a muslin or cotton wrap, good luck!

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi all... thank you for your advice.
Daddy-to-be and I decided to invest in an airconditioner for bubby. (Well.. its in our room, but its so we have at least 1 cool room in the house for bubba)
Warm weather is certainly starting to get to me now (being close to delivery) - swolen feet, ankles, and hands are very uncomfortable. - Just as well we bought the air-con! Not sure how I would have coped without it actually!
Thanks again to all..
Cindy (due 26th December)

Cindy due 26th December 04

Sign in to follow this topic