Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Scared of PND Lock Rss

Hi everyone,
I'm 32 weeks, and very scared of getting post natal depression after the baby is born. I have a history of depression and am worried that I will be more likely to get PND because of that history.
It was the worst time of my life and I really don't want to go through that again. My partner also is worried that I won't be able to cope, and he didn't even know me when I was bad. I am a worrier by nature and stress about the smallest of things.
Has anyone else been through anything similar, or have any advice for me?

QLD, Grace 04/02/2006

Hi KyleH,

My situation was a little different to yours but I had (and now have again) the exact same fears. I suffer from servere morning sickness which is hormone related. I was told with my first pregnancy that PND is often hormone related too. So I naturally worried that I would be a candiate for PND. I am pregnant again, with the MS and worried about PND. My only advice is that you tell you close friends, family and Doctor your fears. They can then be on the lookout for signs of PND and get on top of it before it really develops. Good luck!

Hi Kylie

I have also suffered from quite severe depression in the past and like you have a fear of getting PND, I sometimes feel like I am starting to get some mild symptoms of Antenatal Depression so I am definately concerned.

I don't know what services are offered where you are, but when I booked into the hospital (public) they asked me to fill out a questionaire to determine my risk of developing PND, it was determined I was at moderate risk and given my history of depression they gave me information on a free service that is offered where I can go and talk to counsellors etc. to discuss my concerns and fears. I haven't been yet but it sounds like a good idea.

Maybe you could look into something like this in your area, your doctor or midwife might know.

Hope this helps.

Alex (NSW) - DS 20/3/2006

Sign in to follow this topic