Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

leg cramps! Lock Rss

hi everyone,
last night i woke up in excruciating pain due to weird leg cramps..i had to sit up for 5 mins untill they went?? it was so weird because i was asleep when they happened..is this normal?
yes unfortunately i got these when pregnant too, they are nasty!
Always at night too!! Sometimes it would just be one calf but other times it would be both calves at once. It was agony! the only thing i found that eased the pain faster was pulling your toes up towards your body so its stretching the back of your calf. I know what its like cos it was that painful i would be just about crying! and would wake up my partner by accident! Thats about the only help i can offer, they go away as soon as the baby is born thankgod! i think mine started in 3rd trimester and i kept getting them occassionally until baby was born. i hope they ease up for you! I would check with your midwife or paed though cos i think (from memory) the cramps can also be caused by a lack in a certain vitamin or something?? but dont quote me on that LOL

Our baby is nearly 1!!!

Yes its normal...Sometimes i get them so bad my leg is still sore for a few days after. I walk with a limp! Magnesium from the health food shop helps. My natropath gave me a powder that i mix with water and drink everyday thats full of all these vitamins that are good for cramps and i havnt had one for about a week. I started the powdered vitamin stuff about a week and a half a go. So if your desperate like i was you could try seeing a natropath. Id been getting them from early on in the pregnancy im 33 weeks now and they were getting really bad so i finally went, i didnt want to waste money but im glad i did now. Because it worked! I was a bit skeptical i guess...
ive always been told it's due to lack of iodised salt in your diet, when youre pregnant youre told to watch your salt intake, but to be honest you still need here and there a bit of added extra salt (not to much) there has been research done on reduced or no salt intake during pregnancy leading to the reduced function or growth of the thoriod gland in the babies.
ouch. i always said i would rather go through labour again than have these horrible leg cramps.

i used to wake up at night, and nearly cry. i think it is when you stretch in your sleep, and you do something to the muscle?

sometimes when i wake i stretch to far and i nearly get them again. so i know i will get them in the later stages of this pregnancy.
I found blackmores ppmp (potassium and magnesium) helped me. They were also worse if I haven't been drinking enough water during the day.
hi everyone, thanks for the replies and advice, i got them again the other night so i think i will ask my doctor if he can suggest anything, even those blackmore tablets chelbychelle suggested, anything to get rid of them smile
hi everyone, thanks for the replies and advice, i got them again the other night so i think i will ask my doctor if he can suggest anything, even those blackmore tablets chelbychelle suggested, anything to get rid of them smile
have you seen your dr yet?
I also started to suffer from really bad leg cramps.

My ob told me that it meant I was lacking calcium. So he put me on to Caltrate tablets. It has helped howvever I got them again last night! so I dont know whats going on there. Drinking Indian tonic water helps too, but dont know how beneficial it is for you though smile
Let us know what your doc says..

Sign in to follow this topic