Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Alcohol in cooking when pregnant Rss

Hello

We want to try this beef dish but it calls for about 560 mls of red wine, I just had a look on the web and it says the alcohol content is reduced the longer you cook the dish

but I am still a bit wary I would love to try this dish but don't really think its a good idea

I would love other comments

thanks everyone

bye

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

hi,
i have always thought that the alcohol content cooked out. i thought the flavor of the wine stays but the alcohol part goes, but i could be wrong.
if you are that worried wait until you are not pregnant to have it, and enjoy!
bye

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

I was interested in this when I was pregnant too, so I found a page on a site called 'she knows'. On the site the 'Chefmom' posted an article about alcohol use in cooking. She basically says that not all alcohol can be evaporated during the cooking process. It does depend on the length of cooking time, but even this can still mean alcohol remains in slow cooked dishes. If you want to check it out, I found the page address http://sheknows.com/about/look/1804.htm
Hope this helps...it would be a shame to miss out on something yummy though!! Hopefully there's an alternative like a good stock. Try to find some info about a good strong non-alcoholic wine otherwise.....I'm off to pull out something for dinner I think....

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

You can have some alcohol while you are preg and most of the alcohol will cook out - def try and if its yummy pass the reciepe on to us smile

Yummy!!!

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

I'm back - I did a bit more research and found a site called Hormels.com and it listed a heap of alternative ingredients to use instead of alcohol like juices, vinegars and broths. It is under the'cooking with wine' section.

This last post will make more sense when the FIRST one gets through with the moderator!!!!!!

hello everyone

here is the receipe we were going to make

it sounds really yummy

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/this_weeks_fact_sheets/beef_bourguignon

thanks for your advice everyone

bye

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Sign in to follow this topic