Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Worrying about baby's development. Lock Rss

Hi,

Im 18weeks pregnant and suffered from bad sickness up till a couple of weeks ago. While now im only sick about once a week i find i suffer from really bad indegestion and the sickness feeling from eating alot of foods. im worried about the baby's development due to my lack of nutrient intake. I havent been able to stomach any dairy products except a little bit of cheese but no milk or yoghurt which worries me about the calcium that bub would need, also ive been unable to eat any fruit and can only just now stomach a few types of vegatables. I feel like ive been living on bread and potato and meat. I find i feel guilty for not eating these things and just putting up with the nausea and bad stomach. Do you think this will have harm the baby's development up to this point. Thanks

Dawn,WA ,Chloe 3.5, Danielle born 17th dec 2004

hello there Dawn,
you sound really worried, i believe that the baby will always have first dibs on all the good stuff that he/she needs and if anyone is going to suffer/miss out on, it will be the mother.
i havent been able to look at veges except carrots and we grow our own (my parnter put a powder on them and now i worry that i cant eat them, & i wont now)
also i cant touch uncooked chicken, but i can eat it cooked. any meat i do eat has to be grisal (? cant spell) free. so the meat intake i have is not all that much. with tas i was spending $30+ a week on fruit, but this time im lucky to swallow a manderine a week!!
have you thought about a supplament, ive heard blackmores have a good pregnancy and breastfeeding tablet.
if you are too worried about the development of bubs, i would go to your gp and ask a few quezzys.
hope you feel better real soon, bye

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

hi again, there is a post below on the muiltivitams for pregnancy some good ones mentioned.

Hi Catherine,
Thanks for your words. I did think about taking a multivitamin to help. I mentioned before about being worried about the size of my bump which i know is stupid, but i cant help feeling that when i go for my scan next week they will tell me something is wrong or its not developed properly, especially as i havent touched dairy or calcium type foods for the majority of the pregnancy. Im actually very nervous about going for this scan. Last time i didnt worry at all, But i feel ive read more now about how foods help bubs development which causes me to worry more!! Maybe i should stop reading stuff. Its hard to talk with my hubby about this as he just says im being stupid and looking at the negative side. But for some reason i have alot more worries about this child and that something will go wrong.
Anyway enough of my worrying, I will look into the multivitamins and try to stomach more milk. Hopefully after next weeks scan i will feel better about this.
Cheers

Hi Dawn,

I really understand how you feel, and if you're like me, there's probably not much i can say to take the stress away! I worried about my little boy from the moment i found out i conceived. I worried about EVERYTHING!

On the food thing, i was sick for a week with some gastro bug. At the worst of it, i only consumed half a piece of toast in 5 days, and ended up losing 3kgs. The Drs kept telling me that the bub is fine and that they will take it all from you, your built up stores, so to speak. Calcium is taken from your body for the bub, so just try and catch up on your Dairy when you can. Or as suggested, what about Calcium tablets or a multivitamin tablet??

Take care, and try as hard as you can not to worry too much.

Goodluck next week with your scan,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi,
Tepe just reminded me that i was really crook for about 10/11 days when i was about 18 weeks with tasmin. i was bringing up everything and was always cold, i lived in the bath (i should of gone to hospital). you mentioned above that your worried about the size of your bump, going on my mesurements from tas, i honestly thought that my tummy was only getting bigger from the amount of food i have been eating not at all baby.
i when to the doctor on usual appt, and ive only put on two kgs and he got the tape measure out and said everything is fine and he is happy.
i can KIND of understand with you worried about the size of bub, when they said they counldnt fine a heart beat i was so scared of what i was going to see/hear on my scan i didnt want to go.
im pretty big on milk so having more didnt bother me i loved it cos it wasnt making my put bad weight on, but i was skull about 600mls of milo and try and go to sleep quickly while i could.
good luck and i hope you hear great news Friday( ? i think) ill be thinking of you bye

p.s. im going to the bank today to see if we can afford a new house so wish me luck!!

Hiya,

How are you going Dawn?? Have you had your scan yet?

Hoping all is well for you,

Tepe

Hi Tepe,

Iam ok, i havent had my scan yet. Its on Thursday morning and iam still nervous. Iam managing to eat more veggies now and can just stomach milk on cereal in the morning. Its suprising the comments i get sometimes on my size. People think iam lucky to not really be showing at this stage and it is hard for pregnant people who have a larger bump to understand that not having a bump comes with drawbacks too. I actually feel embaressed at times to say iam nearly 20 weeks when my tummy has only grown an inch because they look at me funny and laugh and i almost feel like im making it up. Ive not had one person who i havent told prior say to me 'oh your having a baby, congratulations'. I bought a new cot and the lady selling it says 'oh is it for you, you dont look pregnant'. I think this is the only time in your life that you want a big tummy. Keep you posted on the scan. Cheers Dawn

Hi again Dawn,

Yes, i know the disappointed feeling of being told how small my tummy was.....i got it consistantly!

Good luck with everything, you sound a lot happier,

Tepe

Hi Tepe,

Just thought id let you know my scan went really well. The baby is fine and developing as it should, also my dates are correct. I feel alot better now i know my diet hasnt affected the bub. I think im going to stop reading so much on pregnancy and just go with the flow, reading stuff like ' the mother needs to take in 40% more calcium during pregnancy for the baby to develop properly' just causes a worrier to worry more.. unecesserily it seems Cheers Dawn

Hi Dawn,

What great news.....keep focased on that news, and try to keep your thoughts positive. This is coming from a worrier too. I really know how you feel, and although the books have some good info, they also lead us to wory if our development isn't perfect with what is presented.

Keep your chin up, steer clear of those books, and listen to your Dr that said everything is perfect.

Tepe

Gee those pregnancy hormones should be shot! God MUST have been a man!
I think everyone turns out to be a bit neurotic when they are pregnant. I have to say that I must have been my docs worst patient for it hehehe!

When i got a little eczma (sp?) I was convinced I had some exotic disease and off i trotted to annoy my doc....Then I was worried about the effect of my PAST smoking on the baby, how irrational is that? I had given up prior to concieving!! Then my cat died and i spent about a week sobbing, then I worried about the effect of that on my bub.

I could go on for days......my doc was a saint! But all I'm saying is it's normal to worry about everything, your building another person inside of you, or course your going to worry about it!

if you are really worried, you can visit the nurse and get them to check the babies heartbeat with there handheld moniter thingy, I did this quite a lot after three months due to complications. They don't mind and are quite use to it.

Take care!
Cheers Jo

PS perhaps Huggies should start up a thread on the idiot things you have done/said/worried about when pregnant....i'm sure i would win a prize haha

mum of 1

Sign in to follow this topic