Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Visiting the Hairdresser Rss

Hi,
Does anyone know whether it is safe during pregnancy to have your hair permed or coloured. I read in one baby magazine that it was unsafe as the chemicals used can be found in the bub. Iam so fed up with my hair at the moment that i was planning a visit to the hairdresser but i dont want to danger the baby. Do you think it would be ok or should i wait till after bub is born. Cheers Dawn

Dawn,WA ,Chloe 3.5, Danielle born 17th dec 2004

Hi Dawn,

I know how you feel!
I have read a few posts on this subject in other websites, and comments that were made from other hairdressers & ladies is that it is ok to have your hair dyed while pregnant they dont seem to feel it has any ill affects on the baby, although your hormones can affect how it takes to your hair - ie: one comment was that some womens hair took a long time for the colour to take. I also read that they advise against perms as it is quite common for the perm to fail to take & you end up with a very "limp" perm.
I recently had my hair fully coloured & with highlights and it worked great (makes you feel great too when you are starting to feel a bit down!) my SIL also had her hair coloured several times through her preg. & seems to have had no bad effects on her mischeivious little guy.
Just my personal opinion, but I feel there are no probs. with having the colour done although I do know several people who dont think its good.
If you really are concerned, ask a Hair Salon with a good reputation as they are regularly trained in the use/effects of all the products they use.

Cheers, Arna

Arna & Paije (29/09/04)

Hi Dawn

I have heard that it is not a good idea to have your hair coloured or permed etc whilst pregnant.

I do however have a friend who had her hair permed in her second trimester and everything with her baby is OK.

I guess it is another one of those best to avoid things while you are pregnant - thats my understanding anyway.

A suggestion could be that you speak to your hairdresser and see if there is something else that they can do with your hair for the time being.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

I have heard both sides of this debate, too and I chose to err on the side of caution and wait until after baby. Having said that, the real reason I never coloured my hair in pregnancy was because just walking past the salon made me want to puke! The chemical smells were one of my biggest morning sickness triggers in all my pregnancies. I had to get a home hairdresser friend to cut my and my kids hair, because of the salon smell. I think that if the smell was that strong going past, I wasn't putting it on my head! Good luck!

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi All,
Many thanks for your replys. I was thinking about having a perm but iam thinking that maybe i will wait till after bub is born ( only 3 months to go) I would hate to spend all that money and it not work or come out weird due to hormones. Cheers Dawn

Dawn,WA ,Chloe 3.5, Danielle born 17th dec 2004

Just think - you'll SO deserve to be pampered by then anyway. Go for it. Throw in a massage and a manicure while you're there.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi Dawn
I actually rang Mothers Safe to ask that question (a group run by a Childrens Hospital in Sydney) and they said it was perfectly safe.
Ive heard that your hair can thin out when you breastfeed so if you already have fine/thin hair then I would try to keep it as natural as possible if you are planning on breastfeeding.

I was at the hairdressers the day before my son was born getting a colour done..heehee and he came out perfectly fine..ahaha

Good Luck !

8 month old

Hi Dawn,

As to safety, I have no idea, but my hairdresser did say to me when I first told her I was pregnant, that it is so common for mums to be to something cmpletely different with their hair just before the baby is due, she is just waiting to see if I want to go blonde (not likely, didnt like it when i tried it before). So from what I have heard, it can be a common thing for mums to get a dye job, just before bubs. And as she only mainly works with people she knows & fits in at home around her job with a TV studio, she hasn't heard anything bad back.

Hope that helps

Sydney, BJ born 28.01.05 CJ born 17.08.06

Hi Dawn,
Was also advised not to get my hair done since it could disfigure baby somehow but upon checking with the midwife was advised that it would be best to leave it till after your first tri-mester...I guess the reason why they suggest not to do it before is because chemicals can seep thru the scalp and chemicals used for those processes are quite strong...With my first child I had my hair permed a couple of weeks before i was due and with this second one I waited until after my 4th month. I was of ocurse throwing up the first three so could not do much anyway..Hope this helps...

Titi, VIC, 3 Yr old daughter, 2nd due in Nov 2005

Sign in to follow this topic