Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome anyone?... Lock Rss

Hi,

Have many of you experienced this in your pregnancies before?
I started waking in the night with numb, stiff, sore hands (and arms as far up as my elbows) with pins & needles in my fingers a few weeks ago. I mentioned it to my midwife, who's reply was "are your ankles swollen?" i guess she was more concerned about pre-eclampsia(?) (as my hands are swelling just slightly) & checked my bp which was perfect. (I'm seeing her again tomorrow so I think i'll bring it up again and ask about the safety of anti-inflamitry creams as opposed to tablets too).
I have heard a little about it before so I checked it out on the internet & all my symptoms point to this.
Apparently it affects 1 in 3 pregnancies, so its quite common & is ment to resolve itself within a couple of weeks after giving birth.
Stretching your hands, resting them and anti-inflammitries (which I will not take for babys sake)are supposedly the only way to help it and "to avoid the activity that irritates it" but its a bit hard to avoid sleep :-S !
With still another 5 wks till my due date, has anyone experienced it and found a way to help it at all?

Thanks! smile

Arna & Paije (29/09/04)

Hi well the awful carpal tunnel syndrome with my first pregnancy i suffered from it and it was horrible i couldnt use my whole arm until after i had my daughter and it took a few days for it to dissapear after i gave birth i am now pregnant with my second and i have had a few signs of it reappearing again this time and it is in the same arm as last time i just hope it dosent come as bad as last time it is a horrible thing but i dont think there is much u can do about it but put up with it anyway goodluck and hope everything goes well.
I have it too, I guess it doesnt help being a mad cross stitcher either. I am constantly waking with numb fingers or hands, and it seems for ever for the feeling to come back too. I remember the first time it happened on my left arm I thought I was having a heart attack.
Hope it gets better soon for us all
Kathy

Kathy,VIC,Josh 8, Alex 7, Michael 1

Hi, thanks for your replies, I suspected there isnt a lot you can do for it.
I actually picked up my cross stitch the other night too (one of those that I have been doing on & off for 3 yrs!) and found that my hands were really stiff the next day, so I wont be filling my time with that when I finish work like I had hoped! Looks like cleaning the house instead :|
I find it is affecting both my arms, but both in completely different ways. I thought it was bubs that was ment to keep us awake at night now, not something like this grrr... :'(
Hopefully it will dissapear shortly after bubs gets here, at least it will have been worth the discomfort in the end grin
Good luck to you ladies too & I hope it doesnt cause too many hassles for you this time around!

Arna & Paije (29/09/04)

My Aunty had this- work related, not pregnancy. She wore special splinted wrist supports. Maybe this may be an option for you. It would be worth looking into furthar - it must be driving you crazy.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

I too have carpal tunnel syndrome which started when I was 23 weeks! Fortunately it has only affected me in my left hand, but can make some tasks difficult. I found just bandaging my wrist (instead of buying expensive splints) so that the movement was fairly restricted (but obviously not your circulation!) has helped enormously. I no longer wake up to numb sausage like fingers!! I have been reassured that the symptoms resolve themselves soon after the baby is born.
Sign in to follow this topic