Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Overweight & pregnant :( Rss

O.K, so I found out I was pregnant today and while it is very exciting for me it is also quite daunting because I am overweight and never managed to get rid of the weight I put on with my first pregnancy. Well, I lost about 13kg and then stupidly put most of it back on sad

Anyway, I want to feel good about this pregnancy and not feel ashamed of myself and how I look. How do I do that??

I really want to feel beautiful while I am pregnant and I just never do and therefore I don't enjoy it and embrace it.

I'm also scared to death that I am going to stack on tons more weight and I will never be pretty again and everyone will just look at me and think I am disgusting.

sad
I'm sorry you feel that way. Firstly, let me reassure you, you are not alone! I piled on weight with my first pregnancy (i managed to lose 10 kg's, but was still overweight when I got pregnant this time) & I too was terrified I was going to get even huger & look horrible. It is hard to feel good about yourself when you don't necessarily like what you see in the mirror. I feel the same way you do, but I get around it by reminding myself I can't do anything about my changing body shape & i won't look this way forever. Chin up honey. A smile will light up your face & make you look beautiful no matter how you are feeling.
Firstly Congrats on your pregnancy!!!

I too am over weight to the point where the local hospital wont take me and I have to travel to a bigger one and am almost 29 weeks.

Your body has done something magical so you can feel sooooo proud about that to begin with. My pregnancy has been completely different from DD and was the same weight with her. Just because you are bigger doesn't necessarily mean you will be worse off, eg all my bloods and levels are fine, and glucose is fine etc so your body definitely knows what its doing!!

Just remember that you are doing a beautiful thing and all the smiles will come back when your bubba decides to attack you from the inside!!!

Good Luck!
Congratulations!!!!! Chin up! You have a baby growing inside of you!

I too have been overweight with all 3 of my pregnancies. I have had healthy children and been healthy myself throughout the pregnancies. Firstly if you dont want to gain too much weight (i gained 20kg's with my first) snack healthily. If your feeling like something sweet, have an orange or some watermelon. It's just a matter or eating healthier rather then eating less.

I agree with Shannondean, just because you are overweight doesnt mean a thing, expect some hospitals wont take you.
How overweight do you have to be before the local hospital won't take you?? Oh god! Now I am scared that I am going to be embarrased by being rejected for being too fat. How humiliating! How are you supposed to explain that to family & friends?? sad
Do you plan on going to a big hospital or a small one? Usually the smaller ones have the weight limits.
The hospital i'm going to doesnt have weight limits that I know of.

How overweight do you have to be before the local hospital won't take you?? Oh god! Now I am scared that I am going to be embarrased by being rejected for being too fat. How humiliating! How are you supposed to explain that to family & friends?? sad

I had a BMI of 56 and was flown 400km away because my local hospital wouldn't allow me to deliver here just in case I needed emergency c-section. They were meant to tell me three months prior to my due date but I was told 8 hours into labour. Ask now so you can be organised just in case.

O.K, so I found out I was pregnant today and while it is very exciting for me it is also quite daunting because I am overweight and never managed to get rid of the weight I put on with my first pregnancy. Well, I lost about 13kg and then stupidly put most of it back on sad

Anyway, I want to feel good about this pregnancy and not feel ashamed of myself and how I look. How do I do that??

I really want to feel beautiful while I am pregnant and I just never do and therefore I don't enjoy it and embrace it.

I'm also scared to death that I am going to stack on tons more weight and I will never be pretty again and everyone will just look at me and think I am disgusting.

sad

with my first preg i was 70kg i put on 25 kg during it i thought it would be easy to lose just bf and the weight will fall off.. yeah right.... i got preg when ds was 4 and hadnt lost any weight (due to my lazy ass) so i decided that i would go to the gym 3 times a week, eat better ( no more sara lee chocolate cake)and try going for a walk when i wasnt at the gym... i was doing body balance class up until 2 days b4 dd was born i only put on 9 kg and when she was born i was just under what i was when i fell preg with her.... it sucks being fat i know but its up to you to make that decision while your preg to eat right and exercise etc... you are gorgeous no matter your size go for a preg pick me up at your local day spa or go to your hair salon buy some sexy lingerie ( i got some beautiful stuff from a lingerie shop just for preg women) it all helps once you start feeling happy with yourself then it gets easier to feel sexy again even when you have that big beautiful belly sticking out infront

1st baby due start of sep

My heart sank when i read your story this morning that it inspired me to get my ass off the couch and go for a walk.So this is my inspiring advice for you...go for a walk...no...but this is what makes me feel more like myself.For my older sister it was cleaning the house,middle sister baking.I too have weight issues and have been feeling a sense loss like ive lost myself but at the end of the day the love for my daughter is irreplaceable, her unconditional love is what gets me through.
I can completely relate to that, I've just found out I'm pregnant too and I don't want to get any bigger than I am right now!

My advice to you, and to myself is just to exercise and eat right. Even though you're pregnant you can still go for a 30 minute walk 3 times a week or more to start off with. You can still do light toning exercises etc. Make your goal not to lose weight, but to look better by toning up. Keep tabs on what you're eating and choose the healthier options. Better for you & for bub!

And like the other girls have said, on a bad day just remind yourself that you're creating a baby inside you and that itself is a miracle! Congrats!
Sign in to follow this topic