Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Gestational diabetes Lock Rss

Hi all, I am 30 yrs old and expecting my first baby..(am almost 31 weeks along) have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes a few weeks ago...have been testing my self before and after meals...anyway it has been hard but am trying to stick to a diet and not get high readings! kinda hard when u pregnant and have cravings!
anyway is there anyone out there who has/is going through this? i am really hoping things stay ok and i never have to start the insulin injections..and get induced...any words of advice from others out there?
Hello there,

I had Gestational Diabetes for both pregnancies...my boys are now 2 and 6 months. It is often difficult to get the readings within the target ranges, and I understand that it can be very tempting to deviate from your low GI diet. Try to remember however that this diet is the best thing you can do for both yourself and your unborn baby. The higher your blood sugar readings are, the more pressure you are placing on your baby's organs - especially the pancreas which is the primary organ involved in insulin production.

In relation to having an induction...I had one for both my babies as there is a tendency for Gestational diabetic babies to be macrosomic (large). It is therefore important to birth bubs earlier to avoid any complications. My first induction was extremly painful and poorly managed, but the second was fantastic...both with no drugs!!!

Also, if you do end up needing to have insulin as diet control alone is not working then that's okay. It is best to have the insulin and know that bubs is okay. The insulin does not cross the placenta and therefore does not go to bubs. Its role is to help you with your maternal insulin levels so that the baby does not take on extra glucose levels...hope that makes sense.

All the best, and feel free to pm me if you would like smile
Hi There I have only just found out that i am expecting. I have been refered to have a test for this as i am high risk due to my age and family history. I think is would be good to keep any eye on early so i can try real hard to keep under control.
One of my good friends had it with both her childern she got out and walked every day and staring to eat brown rice and just made the little changes were she could. She had healthy big babys. Best of luck. and think of it as the 80/20 rule Eat clean and well 80% of the time and it's ok to not be a strict 20% of the time.

hi there, thanks for ure reply! nice to know I am not alone in this lol..yeah being the first pregnancy its jus quite nerve wracking not feeling in control or knowing what to expect..I am jus looking so forward to seeing my little girls face and kissing those cheeks lol..
I will definately stick to my healthy eating and walking..I jus got a bit nervous when the doc said even though u may control ure diet, u can still end up needing injections as the pregnancy progresses...
Was/am also not keen on inductions as I do fear they could make the birth more painful as its not natural so to speak...but am trying to be positive and not dwell on the negative that may never come to be..
hi Sammie, good on you for detecting it earlier..yeah my granddad had diabetes too,quite a scary thing, to be told u got gestational diabetes when u know nothing about it,but yeah with good management it can be controlled...just the not being able to have treats that is hard..i did have pizza one night and my after supper test was 7.2, normally its 5 point something..anyway jus goes to show how unhealthy all these things are..the thing with this diet though is, things like fruit must be carefully eaten, you cand just have a whole banana and a lot of grapes - you have to have either a small banana or half a big one at a time and maybe 15 grapes..yeah quite strict but we gotta keep the sugars in check! good luck to you too
hi not sure if this will help but i found out i have GD at around 14 wks and have been injecting insulin ever since as well as taking tablet insulin and my readings are good during the day but pretty average at night i usually wake up with 6-6.5 but go to bed with at least 5.5-6 i had an ultra sound on friday and so far my baby is healthy and in the normal weight range should only be around 7 pound when born my DS was 9.3 when he was born so it's looking like everything is working, but i can totally relate to you finding it hard to stick to the diet i have trouble too, i just try an either satisfy a craving whit a healthy option or only have a tiny amount, don't stress too much though coz no matter how hard you find it, it will all be worth it soon for you.
Hi I had GDM with my 1st pregnancy and am expecting that I will have it with this one when I get far enough along - I have mild PCOS (no weight probs just a little extra hair where is isnt supposed to be fun fun, the cysts and hormones out of wack) and my mum had GDM with me.

I found it very easy to eat properly but that was mainly because I was thinking about my baby - I think this time I will find it a bit harder having less time to focus on the finer details. I walked possibly 3 days/wk and ate what was right for me - this can be different from person to person. I found mayonaise (non egg of course) had a bad effect on my sugars no matter how little I had but otherwise I could eat normal portion sizes - which of course are smalleer than we are used to - of all carbs.

I was lucky I worked with a dietician who had morning tea and lunch with me and checked my levels with me before and after and worked out how many serves my body could handle for snacks and mains and it stayed the same from there. I also found a fats and figures book which also has all the carbs for heaps of brands so I could work out what to buy and how much I could have - in conjunction with the low GI thing.

I didnt need insulin in the end and was able to fend off the constant threat of being induced before my due date and went 3 days over. My reasoning behind this was that our little man was large from the very 1st scan before I even had GDM - 97th percentile which is exactly where he sat when he was born. My current OB who wasnt my OB then just says with DH over 6 ft 5" what do they expect. His theory is if GDM is managed through diet and exercise you consider the patient to not have it (as it is treated) and you treat them like a normal patient he also says that induction is like doing something but not really doing it properly. Our little man went 3days over but I am so glad I didnt let them induce me as I know it would have been harder.

This time around we will be guided by our current OB who I know will tell me if anything medical needs to be done but will otherwise let nature takes its course while ever it is safe.

Definately find a dr/midwife you trust to guide you now. We went through our local clinic and got 3 different OB's - one of them wanted to induce 2wks early, 1 said he would keep an eye on us and be guided by regular checks of bub and the other was happy to let us go 7 days over which is only 3 days less than they let anyone else go. This time we will definately go with 1 OB's advice and that is the one we are with @ the moment - they all differ so its whichever one you feel comfortable with.

We were also told that bub would be closely monitored to make sure his levels didnt drop too low for the 1st few days but afte the delivery they didnt check a thing until the usual paeds check the day we left. They said that if ur diabetes is managed by diet and exercise and you dont end up needing insulin during the delivery (which can sometimes still happen no mater how well controlled you are beforehand) then there shouldnt be any problems with bub.

Hope this helps and good luck with your pregnancy and motherhood.

Hi all, I am 30 yrs old and expecting my first baby..(am almost 31 weeks along) have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes a few weeks ago...have been testing my self before and after meals...anyway it has been hard but am trying to stick to a diet and not get high readings! kinda hard when u pregnant and have cravings!
anyway is there anyone out there who has/is going through this? i am really hoping things stay ok and i never have to start the insulin injections..and get induced...any words of advice from others out there?

The ladies have given great advice. I didnt have GD with my first two pregnancies but developed it in my last and tested at 26 weeks. Started on insulin at 28 weeks and units increased until i was induced at 36 + 5 (bub was 7 pd 11)..

This time around i had the test 2 weeks ago and was again diagnosed.. i prick 4 times a day and they are looking at starting me on insulin overnight to reduce fasting numbers. As a result of having GD so early i have more scans as having GD in the first trimester when bub is developing can cause abnormalities (especially with the heart). I have also been told a will have a level 2 ultrasound at 22-24 weeks to make sure heart is ok.

It is scary but try to get all the assistance and information you can from your diabetes dietician, educator and Dr...

Best of luck

Amanda
Sign in to follow this topic