Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

What do you avoide while being PG? Lock Rss

can I add nail polish to this list? I am still unsure about this one but I think you can buy nail polish without the harsh chemicals if you still need to paint your nails. also I heard gel/acrylic nails can use a harmful glue and certain house hold chemicals and cleaners can be harmful if they get on the skin or are inhaled in a small enclosed area.

38 weeks and 2 days

hmmm i do not go overboard, just mainly eat what i always have, the big one that i still have is soft cheeese, i looked into this and its about unpasteurized milk, well every soft cheese i buy is pasteurized. I checked with my OB and he agreed with me, . Not saying its for everyone, it just concerns me when people follow these blanket rules, and don't check for the reason why and find out if they still apply to you.
Each to there own.. Goodluck with the pregnancy.
I have given up alcohol (but have pinched a mouthful of partners beer) I gave up smoking when I was pregnant with my 6 yr old.
I eat normally, but avoid anything I think may be dodgy. I won't buy sushi but make it at home. I ate cold chicken today, it was well cooked by a friend, so I knew it would have been fresh and freshly, thoroughly cooked. I have eaten soft cheese. I stopped eating processed food a couple of years ago and pretty much live on fresh fruit and vegies and mostly wild meat. I have my eggs runny, but they're from our own chickens, collected daily and eaten fresh. The nesting boxes are kept clean.
We also have a house cow who's not far from calving, I'll be drinking her milk but thinking about pasteurizing it myself.
I was much more pedantic with my first pregnancy.
I was pretty pedantic in my pregnancy.

I avoided all alcohol, soft cheese, deli meats, soft serve, sushi and buffet food.

I only dyed my hair in the 3rd trimester with ammonia free foils, avoided medications unless I absolutely needed them. I also stopped using my anti dandruff shampoo as it wasn't recommended. I bought a toulene and formalydahyde free range of nail polish so I could paint my nails.

I avoided tea tree oil (which I usually use on cuts and scrapes etc) as its not recommended. I also avoided any beauty products with vitamin A in them.

I ditched bleach for the shower cleaning in favour of the natural style cleaners and white vinegar.

I didn't clean my cat's litter unless I absolutely had to, and I wore gloves if I did.

I did use my usual makeup.

I did eat takeaways but just made sure they were piping hot and reheated them before eating if needed.

I had one bought coffee a day - my Dr said it was fine smile

It's easy to be paranoid with all the do's and don'ts these days!
Thats the first I've heard about tea tree oil, why is that to be avoided?
We use it all the time in my daughters morning hair detangling spray as theres a nit problem at her school and it keeps nits away.
I've had a child with several birth defects...I cleaned the back deck and oiled it during my TWW (we had been trying for 18mths so I didn't think it would happen). After I knew I was pregnant I avoided everything that I was meant too but it was already too late. Once you have had a child with problems which very well may have been avoidable you remain pedantic in subsequent pregnancies. In my opinion abstaining from a few 'pleasures' for 9mths is far better than the guilt and heartache you experience when things go wrong.... I always ask myself 'is that cheese/dip/ham/etc worth risking the quality of life of my child?'

Just a thought...
Hi Mum to two beautiful boys, I hope you dont mind me asking, birth defects? Can you please explain, please excuse my greeness on this issue. But if I don't ask I won't know.
So really no painting, staining decks? I have a deck I need to stain and a table and chairs. I still ride and compete horses most weekends, hope thats not too hard out. Id rather give up anythingfor 9 months than risk a life. ANy other activities one should not do?

Hi Mum to two beautiful boys, I hope you dont mind me asking, birth defects? Can you please explain, please excuse my greeness on this issue. But if I don't ask I won't know.
So really no painting, staining decks? I have a deck I need to stain and a table and chairs. I still ride and compete horses most weekends, hope thats not too hard out. Id rather give up anythingfor 9 months than risk a life. ANy other activities one should not do?

Hi keeping things positive,

My DS1 was born with a cleft palate, undescended testes, a respiratory disorder involving slow growth of one part of the brain (very very scary). We spent a large portion of his 1st year in hospital because of this issue and has had 3 surgeries over the past 18mths to try and repair all of the problems. He will need to have repeated surgeries throughout his childhood and into his adulthood. So seriously no smelly chemicals! I won't even clean the shower this time round!

On a side note my SIL went into premature labour at 32wks it was thought it ws caused by a possible listeria infection from deli meat (this can have no symptoms for mum but very serious complications for bub)...so no ham for me either.

I don't think for 9 mths its worth the risk.

My DS1 was born with a cleft palate, undescended testes, a respiratory disorder involving slow growth of one part of the brain (very very scary). We spent a large portion of his 1st year in hospital because of this issue and has had 3 surgeries over the past 18mths to try and repair all of the problems. He will need to have repeated surgeries throughout his childhood and into his adulthood. So seriously no smelly chemicals! I won't even clean the shower this time round!

On a side note my SIL went into premature labour at 32wks it was thought it ws caused by a possible listeria infection from deli meat (this can have no symptoms for mum but very serious complications for bub)...so no ham for me either.

Babies are so precious and so vulnerable when they are in our tummies. What annoys me is you see people smoking, drinking, eating what they want and they have healthy babies. Its so unfair. You will be the best parent ever and your baby is so lucky to have chosen such lovely supportive parents. Its incrediable that something so simple can cause so much harm, your baby will be tough and wont let anything hold him back Im sure. thinking of you. Thanks heaps for shedding light on my question, I really had no idea.
Colouring your hair is fine as long as you have fresh air flow. So having a home hair dresser is best or DIY. I dont somke and have a drink on occasions. like a wedding and funeral. most the time i get a head ache anyway. I love sea food and despite what the pros think. i figure island people eat it, as long as its as fresh as you can get i eat it no matter what. and nothing is wrong with my bub. I USE normal shamp & conditioner i think thats a little over board but each to their own. grin

If you want to clean use vinegar. its brilliant. and by your self a respirator from bunnings. I use to work in an underground mine and was always worried about what i was breathing in and took more precautions then the blokes (as some of where i worked was lead)

what causes a cleft palate? so sorry to hear your 1st born was born into so many problems, did the doctors tell you there was anything you could have done to avoid all this?
Sign in to follow this topic