Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

What do you avoide while being PG? Lock Rss

what causes a cleft palate? so sorry to hear your 1st born was born into so many problems, did the doctors tell you there was anything you could have done to avoid all this?

It is hard to pinpoint exactly what causes a cleft palate sometimes its genes (though genetic counselling ruled this out for us)and most often it is an exposure to chemicals/toxins that prevent normal cell growth in this case resulting in the roof of the mouth being absent. Once you have had a child with a birth defect the chances of that happening again increase significantly. I was just told to avoid all chemicals whether it be cleaning products or hair dye. I don't use makeup or perfume either. I was told to be careful of 'natural' products to as your body can still see them as a toxin. Doing these things is particularly important during your TWW and the 1st trimester when most cell growth occurs.

Babies are so precious and so vulnerable when they are in our tummies. What annoys me is you see people smoking, drinking, eating what they want and they have healthy babies. Its so unfair. You will be the best parent ever and your baby is so lucky to have chosen such lovely supportive parents. Its incrediable that something so simple can cause so much harm, your baby will be tough and wont let anything hold him back Im sure. thinking of you. Thanks heaps for shedding light on my question, I really had no idea.

Thanks Keeping things positive,

I know what you mean about people doing all the wrong things and their bubs turning out fine....it was like that when I was TTC DS1, we were trying for 18mths and here are people who don't treat their kids right falling left right and centre (I was a teacher in a less than well off area) We are blessed to have my DS1 despite his needs. I wouldn't change his physical problems as I seriously believe that that would have altered his personality and my DS1 is the most outgoing, cheeky, life loving, resilient child you'll ever meet. He takes everything in his stride....I just wish mum and dad bounced back as quick!
Hi, I'm 14 weeks pregnant with number 2 and I just want to ask about Subway, they say it's fresh, but how do you really know how fresh? Should I avoid it while I'm pregnant??
DS is 6 and through my first pregnancy I craved salami, a deli meat they say to avoid, yet he turned out perfectly healthy. I just don't know how far to go with what not to eat!
Thanks, Mel

Mel, mum to Anthony 29/08/05, VIC

Hi, I'm 14 weeks pregnant with number 2 and I just want to ask about Subway, they say it's fresh, but how do you really know how fresh? Should I avoid it while I'm pregnant??
DS is 6 and through my first pregnancy I craved salami, a deli meat they say to avoid, yet he turned out perfectly healthy. I just don't know how far to go with what not to eat!
Thanks, Mel

Hi Milica

I avoid Subway because all the salads are pre-prepared so you don't know how long they have been sitting there or when they were washed (Listeria can grow even in the fridge).

If I feel like something like salami I put it on a home made pizza or in a toastie sandwich smile Yum!

this one freaked me out too in my first preg as you hear so many stories about things that are 'dangerous' but honestly i think some people go overboard.
i just figured that if its bad for you when your not preg then its def bad when you are, eg) smoking
so my only strict things were smoking, strong cleaning products, alcohol (i snuck a glass of bubbles on my 21st lol), excess caffine , def no energy drinks and was very careful with medications. foodwise i pretty much still ate everything no way was i giving up cheese or shellfish! i just made sure that i didnt eat too much of any one thing.. moderation i think is the key and to eat as little processed food and as much fresh as possible. i dont think general personal care products are too bad but the more natural the better anyways, we get enough chemicals from our environment without rubbing them on ourselves too! natural instict is still really good, i dont like their conditioner tho.

You got it! I done the same thing, well in my first trimester I didn't have a midwife and my mum was so old school she done everything her own way when she was pregnant so she didn't bother giving me any tips. I dyed my hair about 4times, I also ate deli meats and soft serves(but it wasn't an everydaything), not cheese, I don't like cheese at all but I done everything normal, then when I got my scans the baby was perfectly normal and healthy. I even stuck a sneaky glass of riccadonna. But I reckon you can still do all of this, just don't do too much of it. It's like eating takeaways...
I definitely avoided the obvious stuff, like smoking and drinking, but I also went perhaps a little over-the-top. Other things I avoided were; strong cleaning products, alcohol, coffee, tea, caffeine drinks like Red Bull, any kind of medication not given to me by Dr, deli meats and pretty much anything that emitted fumes, including smelly permanent marker pens!

With my second pregnancy, I was a little more relaxed, so that was alright. I only avoided the things that I knew were bad for baby: smoking, drugs, alcohol, too much caffeine. Both bubs were born fine (thank goodness!) but everyone's pregnancy is different.

I've had a child with several birth defects...I cleaned the back deck and oiled it during my TWW (we had been trying for 18mths so I didn't think it would happen). After I knew I was pregnant I avoided everything that I was meant too but it was already too late. Once you have had a child with problems which very well may have been avoidable you remain pedantic in subsequent pregnancies. In my opinion abstaining from a few 'pleasures' for 9mths is far better than the guilt and heartache you experience when things go wrong.... I always ask myself 'is that cheese/dip/ham/etc worth risking the quality of life of my child?'

Just a thought...

I completely agree with this post - 9 months isn't that long to go without somethings - once you've contracted listeria by eating deli food, you can't take it back - I don't think you can be too careful! In saying that, my midwife said soft cheese is okay, as long as you eat it as soon as you open it - don't put it back in the fridge and eat it two days later... Its not the food that is harmful, but the bacteria it may contain
Alcohol
Caffine
Smoking
Deli meats (ham, luncheon, pate..)
Soft cheeses
Energy drinks
Food that isn't cooked right through
Raw and soft-boiled eggs
Soft-serve ice-cream
Salads that are already made
Left overs
Tuna