Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Do you take supplement? Lock Rss

Hello ladies!

I am curious to see if anyone is or was taking supplements during their pregnancy and while breastfeeding. I swear the mixture of vitamins and supplements along with a generally healthy diet are doing both me and baby wonders and will continue taking them if need be while breastfeeding. I know every womans needs are different though so what you take will be working best for you

I take:
- Blackmores Pregnancy and Breastfeeding gold (two a day)
- Blackmores Bio zinc (only one a day)
- Vitamin C every other day to keep immune system stay fit and strong
- Slippery elm every other day to help with ahhh.. keeping regular lol

What do you take? I know folic acid is a must during pregnancy especially in the first trimester and I see Elevit and Iodine supplements are highly recommended too! Great stuff!

Eager to see your replies
Elevit with Iodine smile

Careful of the Vit C.. too much in pregnancy is not recommended.
I was taking Blackmores pregnancy and breastfeeding just whatever the recommendation on the bottle said but about 5 months in I started getting sick from them. Aprox 2hrs after taking them I'd get sick, I thought it was just morning sickness comming round for a 2nd time but it was very different to morning sickness it was worse and left a horrible after taste. I mentioned it to my doc and he said that its not uncommon. I think he just called it vitamin overdose or something like that.
Never tired taking them again after that.

Hello ladies!

I am curious to see if anyone is or was taking supplements during their pregnancy and while breastfeeding. I swear the mixture of vitamins and supplements along with a generally healthy diet are doing both me and baby wonders and will continue taking them if need be while breastfeeding. I know every womans needs are different though so what you take will be working best for you

I take:
- Blackmores Pregnancy and Breastfeeding gold (two a day)
- Blackmores Bio zinc (only one a day)
- Vitamin C (one a day) to help my immune system stay fit and strong
- Slippery elm every other day to help with ahhh.. keeping regular lol

What do you take? I know folic acid is a must during pregnancy especially in the first trimester and I see Elevit and Iodine supplements are highly recommended too! Great stuff!

Eager to see your replies

I would recommend talking to your GP about the vitamins you are taking, just because they are vitamins does not mean you can take different varieties at once as you might be taking too much and they might impact on eachother. The Pregnancy & Breastfeeding tablets would I imagine already contain Vit C and zinc.

The only thing proven to be beneficial is the folate and thats for three months prior to conception and the first trimester for reducing the risk of Spina Bifida, the rest you dont need if you have a healthy diet so I'm wary of placing too much stock in taking a pill to get a healthy baby.
I try and take 2 x Blackmores Pregnancy and Breastfeeding gold every day, however I do forget sometimes wink
I plan to continue while breastfeeding smile
im taking the blackmores pregnancy and breastfeeding gold tablets aswell, and i was advised to not take any other supplements unless prescribed or asked to by a doctor, especially not vitamin c, a, iron, folate, zinc as you can have too much for baby etc, but if you were told to take extra then i guess thats up to your doc, but mine said that unless you have a deficiency than the multivitamin is sufficient. smile

oh and i also used to take slippery elm as i had my gall bladder removed and its great for settling tummys and yup other stuff, but once i was pregnant i didnt nneed it anymore.. its good stuff tho smile i used to eat it with yogurt grin
I take elevit! I did with DS to.
Hi Ladies,

My Ob told me that all I needed to take was Fefol (iron and folate mix). I had all the other stuff and when I fell pregnant he said to stop taking it and that it was a waste of money! Anyway - so now I just take the Fefol twice a day.

Hi Ladies,

My Ob told me that all I needed to take was Fefol (iron and folate mix). I had all the other stuff and when I fell pregnant he said to stop taking it and that it was a waste of money! Anyway - so now I just take the Fefol twice a day.

Did ur doctor tell u to take 2 of the fefol tablets a day because i am anemic and i am only taking 1 per day which is what it also says on the box.
Interesting replies so far, thanks everyone!

In reply to melyssab, I'm sorry to hear the Blackmores products were making you feel ill! I've been taking them from the time I was found out I was pregnant and I have been lucky that they work well for me. I haven't found any sickness with them infact quite the opposite, my body feels depleted if I forget to take them

In regards to 3girls060709, we see a naturopath as opposed to a GP. Despite alot of thoughts and speculation on 'alternative healthcare methods', he is fantastic and has always been on the money in regards to what I've needed. Additionally I am deficient in zinc so he recommended to take a zinc supplement aswell. I trust his diagnosis fully (if that's what you could call it) and am sure to book an appointment if I ever feel my health is in jepordy or working against me. Not sure what your thoughts are about the alternative methods. Each to their own <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

To veemumtobe, awesome to hear they are working for you too! The slippery elm is great isn't it lol. All the stories I hear about digestion changes in pregnancy I'm so glad to be taking something lol <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

Keep the rest of the replies coming.

I take blackmores pregnancy and breastfeeding gold during conception and pregnancy but I don't take anything when breastfeeding, for us it is just too expensive and I have a healthy well rounded diet so bubs don't seem to need it either.
I take the blackmores gold before conception and during pregnancy. This was recommended to me by my gp and also my OB. I have heard some (anecdotal) stories about the Elevit. Apparently it isnt good for people with thyroid issues as it contains a LOT of iodine. I am not a huge vitimin taker, but I take supplements to compensate for any elements that may be missing from my diet.. I am a vegetarian and certainly struggle to compensate for the missing vitamins and minerals just by diet alone. That being said, I only take one tablet a day not the prescribed two as they can upset my stomach if the dosage is too high!!

38 weeks and 2 days

Sign in to follow this topic