Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Prawns for Christmas Lunch? Lock Rss

Hi All,
I am desperate to carry on my Christmas tradition of gorging myself on prawns at lunch time but I'm afraid it may be a 'no-no' as I'm pregnant!

I am wondering if theres any way I can eat cold prawns? I know I can't buy them pre-cooked from the shops but what if I buy them fresh, cook them, then chill them right away and eat them while they are still really chilled?

I'm not sure as to why some cooked seafood is ok and others is bad. I know I may be clutching at straws here but its worth a try cause I've been thinking about this for weeks! If its a 'no-no', of course I wont go there - better safe than sorry is my motto, but I may have a little sulk or just ban them from the Christmas table! LOL

Thanks!
I have eaten prawns through both of my pregnancies but my family buys them off the trawler and we eat them same day. I think if you can get them super fresh then you should be fine. I have never really been that pedantic about what I eat.
my midwife told me last xmas to cook prawns on the day you get them fresh and eat straight away while hot. did not advise eating cold. they say hot cos of the salmonella and listeria fear I suppose. If it was me again I'd eat them cold the same day if I knew I had cooked them well and they'd only been in the fridge a few hours untouched by mayonnaise or anything like that. i may be wrong...dunno

If you fancy a laugh, visit my blog which is basically a collection of observations and rantings about motherhood, people and the mundane. See www.callmepicky.blogspot.com.au

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you shouldn't eat chilled seafood. If you were to cook them fresh on the day and eat them piping hot then they would be ok but there is to much of a risk of listeria growing during the cooling process. I hate being pregnant at xmas time and I just try to tell myself that it is only one dinner in a year and I'll be able to eat what I like next xmas.
Skewer then and cook them on the barbie, that way you're safe and you still get to have them smile
I put garlic, coriander, chilli, and lime juice on ours. Cook. Eat. Divine.
I would say that hot, well-cooked prawns are fine. smile

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you shouldn't eat chilled seafood. If you were to cook them fresh on the day and eat them piping hot then they would be ok but there is to much of a risk of listeria growing during the cooling process. I hate being pregnant at xmas time and I just try to tell myself that it is only one dinner in a year and I'll be able to eat what I like next xmas.

Was just about to say the same thing!
hi
if you buy fresh, cook thoroughly and then plunge into iced water to cool them they will be fine. As long as you dont cross contaminate in the fridge, or leave then sitting in there for more than a few minutes, the chances of any nasty bacteria replicating and making you sick in that short time would be pretty low!!!
Sign in to follow this topic