Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Running whilst pregnant Rss

Hey guys,
I'm not pregnant just yet, me and my partner have only been ttc for a month. I run most days. Generally only 4 or 5km. I was wondering if anybody continued to run whilst they were pregnant? I didn't do it during my last pregnancy, it is just something I started after giving birth. I love it so much, such a great way to clear my head and get DS out of the house in the pram.

Thanks smile

Hey guys,
I'm not pregnant just yet, me and my partner have only been ttc for a month. I run most days. Generally only 4 or 5km. I was wondering if anybody continued to run whilst they were pregnant? I didn't do it during my last pregnancy, it is just something I started after giving birth. I love it so much, such a great way to clear my head and get DS out of the house in the pram.

Thanks smile

Hi Laura Jane

I was pregnant when I did my half marathon in July .. only newly but still - it was great to know my little Bug ran the race with me as one of his first acheivements.
I kept jogging as much as I could, but I had terrible morning sickness so I really did not feel like it. I cut down to 7-10kms as soon as I found out I was pregnant, and soon only topped 3-4kms.
My Dr was happy with that and I wore my HR monitor and stayed a speed that enabled me to stay under 150bpm.

Now I am 24 weeks with a moody pelvis so I am only walking the dog, pilates and aqua aerobics.
Since you are running before you are pregnant it will be fine to keep running, but listen to your body, listen to you medical support people and just tone it down a little (no sprint hill intervals ok!).

Enjoy getting out there - I cannot wait to join you on the roads come April smile
Hi!

I have run my whole life, so when i was pregnant was reluctant to give it up.... Lucky me I never suffered morning sickness and my pregnancy was easy and healthy.... under the care of my ob I ran comfortably up until 20 weeks, then rode my bike everyday until just two days before giving birth! My legs never looked better and my ob said as long as I felt balanced to keep on going!!

Once bub came along I got a great running pram, and we still enjoy our regular runs together two years later! Its amazing what a resistance a pram and bub can add to your work out!! like kiwilostinoz says, listen to your body it will tell you when you have had too much!
Hi,
Just adding that if you have any bleeding at all during pregnancy it is recommended that you dont run or do anything too strenuous (sp?).
I wish I could have kept running but I am enjoying walking just as much now smile

I ran 16km the day I found out I was pregnant but 3 days later my Dr told my husband and I that I had to give it up. I was devastated and to this day I wish I had kept on running...Maybe not 16km as morning sickness etc kicked in, but certainly 5km a couple of times a week. This is quite a disputed area so when you are choosing your midwife or OB etc make sure they support you in this.
Can add my experience if it helps smile

With DS1 kept running until about 28 weeks and then power walked, as well as personal trainer until birth (modified program as I got larger).

Post DS1 I joined a gym and started running/body attack/body pump - 3-4 sessions a week. DS2 took a while to join us but I did not let that deter me as I was already fit and otherwise healthy. I work in health and the latest evidence pretty much says the heart rate limit is meaningless, you should just stop if you feel uncomfortable and OK to continue with what you are doing but not be mad and start a massively increased program.

Do need to say, I never suffered morning sickness.

For the record, second time I ran to about 24 weeks then swapped to bike/power walk, body attack until 32 weeks (lower impact options towards end) and body pump until 36 weeks. Pelvic floor 'achiness' post exercise the main decider for me.

Post second c-section was back at gym doing full on body attack at 10 weeks (long power walks with pram before that) and finally remembering how good exercise makes me feel smile In hindsight, was damn hard work as I got bigger but glad I persisted as who birth/body recovery (apart from skin sag, sigh) better second time around.

Hi,
I ran up until about 20 weeks. Should be fine as long as you tell your mw so she can monitor your B.P etc.
I'm not a runner at all, but I swim a lot.

My GP was clear that excerise in pregnancy is the best thing you can do BUT try not to let your heart rate get over 65% or around 150 beats per minute, don't over heat and watch those tendons.

I found that I pull a lot of muscles and tendons very easily in pregnancy, apparently it is to do with producing extra progesterone. So be careful with stretching. My tendons became so hypermobile that I used to roll my ankle, wearing thongs, on a flat surface!

Sign in to follow this topic