Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Is it safe to eat home made ice cream? Lock Rss

I would eat the icecream!!

I would stay away from chinese (which makes me sick normally - MSG allergy)
I have eaten at a sandwhich shop - my aunty owns it and my mum made the sandwhich for me (toasted chicken and cheese) it is a source I trust..

I also has KFC the other day as I also trust places like that, esp this one as I know the council really looks into it all the time.

ME - 23
DH - 25

Miss Willow

Keeping fit and healthy in pregnancy!!

It doesn't have anything in it that's on the "banned list" so I think it should be okay!
Yum! Now I want ice cream!!!

The reason we are told to not eat soft serve is because it has raw egg in it. I have an ice cream machine at home too but all my recipies have egg in it so no homemade icecream for me sad if it has no egg, eat away smile

Its just soft serve icecream which you cant eat because listeria is sometimes found in the machines that soft serve is made in. Please likes HJs and Maccas do have to clean their machines like once a week but I still wouldnt risk it.
Ive never heard of it having raw egg in it though?!

Your type of homemade ice cream is safe, generally homemade ice cream has raw egg, along with some other frozen treats, ie sorbet and gelato. The reason to stay away from raw egg is the risk of salmonella poisioning which can make you very ill. Things with mayo ie coleslaw as mayo is usually made with raw egg as well. Sushi and deli meats have a higher risk of listeria, if you do want to risk eating something like ham make sure to cook it.

Most takeaways I stay away from, but if you do want to eat something like that try maccas, but try to order something that has to be made, like a burger with extra mayo, or no tomato so it is as fresh as possible. Always be weary of smorgasbord food, or anything that has not been made to order.
unique1 wrote:
I think it is only soft serve in maccas and that due to not being clean properly but at home should be fine

McDonald's ice cream machines go into heat treatment every night which means the mixture gets too a certain temp like 70 degrees or something (not sure on exact temp?) then cools down and is ready to be served again. I think it may be an ingredient in the soft serve rather than it not being clean smile
[quote post="3217811" name="declan&miasmummys ice cream machines go into heat treatment every night which means the mixture gets too a certain temp like 70 degrees or something (not sure on exact temp?) then cools down and is ready to be served again. I think it may be an ingredient in the soft serve rather than it not being clean smile[/quote]

wow....so they are actually just repasturising it to kill any bacteria...

imagine if they tried to get away with doing that to milk or cream.....
Sign in to follow this topic