Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

What do you guys eat?!?!? Rss

Hi guys

Just wondering what you guys ate for lunch when you were pregnant? Just looking at the guidelines and they say no deli meat...

I have ham/turkey and salad sandwiches at least twice a week at work...do people really stop eating deli meat? Did you follow all of their guidelines?

Still TTC but is looking like it will be a long 9 months for when I am!!

Yes I ate no deli meat (only forgot once when at a lunch) or soft cheeses.

You can have chicken (that you've cooked yourself) or tuna (in moderation). Eggs were good to add protein at lunch time.

I was really strict when I was pregnant 1st time with everything I ate, but much more relaxed second time around.
I always found work lunches really hard, but I would have cheese sandwiches or vegimite & cheese or I would have a salad with tuna. Other times I would cook up some chicken & have a chicken & salad sandwich or just chicken & salad...

With the exception of about 3 or 4 times late in my 2nd pregnancy, when I gave in & ate a small bit of salami, I stayed away from deli meats altogether. That said, i had a workmate who ate sushi/deli meats etc through both of her pregnancies & had no issues. I was not prepared to take the risk.
I have been quite strict with what I eat this pregnancy. I have not eaten any deli meats or soft cheese, and nothing reheated - no leftovers (which used to be my standard lunch) because you have to heat them so much that they go disgusting! Reheated rice is one of the worst carriers of listeria. I don't think it's safe to eat cold chicken either.
I took bread to work and toasted it and had it with marmite or cheese. I also started buying raisin muffins for lunch which was great.
It's tough at first, but when you find a few things that you like, it gets easier as you get used to it smile By the time you're in your second trimester you're not that hungry anyway.

I used to take in one of the frozen steam veggie packs and heat that for lunch, sometimes I would add shredded cheese. Otherwise I had Vegemite and cheese rolls or avocado on toast.
I was one of those who ate deli meat, cold chicken, left overs, sushi & soft cheeses when pregnant. My midwife told me to use common sense and if it looked bad or I didn't know how old it was then don't touch it smile

www.facebook.com/LeReveWithSally

Salm10 wrote:
I was one of those who ate deli meat, cold chicken, left overs, sushi & soft cheeses when pregnant. My midwife told me to use common sense and if it looked bad or I didn't know how old it was then don't touch it smile

The problem with that is you cant see Listeria which can cause birth defects and even death in-utero. It is not worth taking the risk for something so easily avoidable. And yes, I know lots of people do eat these things and nothing goes wrong, but is it really worth taking the chance that you could be the small percentage that contracts Listeria - which you might not even know you have as it doesn't necessarily make you sick. It's not like food poisoning, which while unpleasant isn't really dangerous, Listeria is a deadly bacteria.

To the OP, yes I avoided cold deli meats, soft cheese etc, unless it was cooked/reheated to piping hot.
You could have dip with sticks of vege and biscuits, roast meat at home and use left overs in sandwiches, curried egg, make sturfry with no meat, soup.
In my first pregnancy I craved red meat so would go to a cafe next to my work and get roast meat and vege for lunch. BUT I asked them to put a serve in a hot pack for my the minute it came out the oven and then call me to come get it, so I knew it was fresh.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

That's exactly what I thought Dani + 1, was thinking "ohh yeah they don't have Maccas on the Don't Eat list should just have that every day!!" (Obviously wouldn't really!!)

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions smile

I have eaten toasted bagels with cream cheese and tomato for lunch for months now, or well heated leftovers. Eating cold/deli meats isnt worth the risk... I cant wait to eat ham again in a few months time!!
thankyou Cupcake cat, im now craving bagels with cream cheese and tomato...

I have been eating bakers delight rolls(they must be crunchy) with margarine, sliced cheese and tomato. which is unusual for me. when i made a salad roll pre-pregnancy it never contained tomato, sliced cheese and i usualy hate crunchy flaky rolls....hmmmm

I dont eat deli meats or cheese made with unpasturised milk.
Pal24 wrote:
That's exactly what I thought Dani + 1, was thinking "ohh yeah they don't have Maccas on the Don't Eat list should just have that every day!!" (Obviously wouldn't really!!)

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions smile

Actually maccas is on the do not eat list. This is because takeaway places like macdonalds, kfc etc actually make a heap of the more popular foods up and sell u those. So your food can be sitting around for a while. They often have a batch of eggs, patties, bacon etc made up and just put your burger together when u order it.

Any pre made take away is a no go. You dont know how long its been sitting there and at what temp its been kept.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Sign in to follow this topic