Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

horse riding in pregnancy? Lock Rss

just wanted to know how many women still rode frequently during their pregnancies? i have a horse ride coming up next month and will be just over the 12 week mark. i have been doin small amounts of light riding, about all i can manage the energy for at the moment lol.
do u think i should keep at it or give up ??

If something happened out of the blue and you happened to fall off, or some kind of accident where you were injured - would you ever forgive yourself if the baby was hurt?

No one can tell you what to do but you have to have a serious think about these things.

Got to say I'm with the other girls on this one. One small fall could be all it takes to miscarry, or later in your pregnancy to injure baby.

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

yep i have thought of all the things that could happen, part of the reason i asked, i did light riding through my other 3 pregnancies but didnt have to, this is a charity ride i commited to months ago and is just a bit longer than normal. doc wasnt much help as she said its up to me if i feel ok, as ive been riding before and during she thinks i should be fine. just thought id see if any other mums have ridden during pregnancy too smile
thanks for all your replies!!

When I had my first, who is now 12, I had a horse and asked my doctor about riding while pregnant. He said as I had been doing it for years it was fine but just to take it easy. I had owned my horse for years by this time and knew him, his personality and behaviour well so felt confident enough I was safe around him so I rode till I was six months pregnant and then it got a bit hard. I guess its up to you as to whether you feel safe around your horse or whether he is jumpy and unpredictable but I never had a problem smile

At the end of the day the choice is yours and your partners! I rode on and off with ds and will ride more with my next pregnancy. The baby is very well protected and a more directhit like a kick. But the ultimate question is how would you and your partner feel if something happened and you lost your baby?

I was booked to go riding when I found out that I was pregnant with DS and cancelled the ride. I knew a lady though who rode every day throughout her pregnancy and had no problems but I hadn't been riding for a long time and didn't want to risk it.

I'm sure everyone would understand completely if you pulled out of the Charity ride. But at the end of the day you need to make the call.
I only rode once when I was pregnant and my husband was so freaked out about it that I gave it up but my mum rode during hers. She also went in a ladies Steer ride when she didn't know she was pregnant with my older brother and got bucked off!!! Ironically he was the only one in our family who doesn't ride or enjoy horses or like country life, haha smile
Klhoare1 wrote:
I only rode once when I was pregnant and my husband was so freaked out about it that I gave it up but my mum rode during hers. She also went in a ladies Steer ride when she didn't know she was pregnant with my older brother and got bucked off!!! Ironically he was the only one in our family who doesn't ride or enjoy horses or like country life, haha smile

thanks heaps! its nice to hear from others who rode, hubby doesnt really mind lol, he has booked me into a 2 day horse clinic this weekend so i guess he is trusting me and harley to be careful lol. i was doin a lot of heavy ridding before i found out too, but slowed right down in the last few weeks, mostly due to being to bloody tired to go get on lol!

Duckie.M.B wrote:
I'm sure your aware of the risks, I know people who have ridden with no problems.

Every day is a risk, crossing the road, driving, climbing stairs,
You never know when you may have an accident (said as I now hobble around with a sprained ankle as I sliped on our top step and fell all the way down! Doh!)

More likely tO get kicked doing ground work, but don't worrie in sure someone will advise you not to lunge or feed or wash or etc etc because of all the risks.

Has to be your own educated decision in the long run.

And the comments about how would you feel if something happened is a bit harsh, well in the way I read it anyway, seems like if something happens untowards it's her own fault and just seems harsh. I may just have my grumpy pants on tho

yes i think im more inclined to worry about catchin a tummy bug or falling over ( something i do regulalry when preggers lol)
have had many talks with hubby about it and he thinks i should just keep goin the way i have been, i rode through the first 2 and not the last and ironicly it was the 3rd that nearly killed me lol.
im not to fussed about the comments of if something happened, it gets said too women who smoke or ride or drive go carts or jump on trampolines lol, its just how that person feels so i understand, i kinda think if its hung on so well this far i should be ok lol. plus we are tryin to quit smoking and i dont drink lol.
ive figured it cant be any worse then ds3 jumpin on my belly first thing in the morning, which she does often lol.its great to get others opinions though. i have a few mates who have ridden up until 6-7 mths with no problems, so i guess if i take it easy i should be ok!! grin

Duckie.M.B wrote:
And the comments about how would you feel if something happened is a bit harsh, well in the way I read it anyway, seems like if something happens untowards it's her own fault and just seems harsh. I may just have my grumpy pants on tho

I didnt mean it in a negative way, but it is something you really have to think about, the other thing is unfortunately its not just you, you have to think about. If something happened and you did lose the baby will your partner resent you for it? Harsh? yes, but thats why at the end of the day its up to the person who is pregnant and their partner. As you pointed out there are risks every day, i nearly had a car drive into the side of me when I was pregnant with DS. Its funny how your way of thinking changes when you are pregnant and faced with a MC - I lent over in my car and the hand break dug into my tummy, the next day i had bleeding (6 weeks along) we thought i was having a MC and then at the time i thought it was my fault.

I have no problem with horseriding while pregnant and at the end of the day your the only one that can make that decision, not everyone else :)By the sounds of things your partner is happy for you to keep riding (lucky you, mine took some convincing) so i say go for it

Kirsty1707 wrote:
Duckie.M.B wrote:

I didnt mean it in a negative way, but it is something you really have to think about, the other thing is unfortunately its not just you, you have to think about. If something happened and you did lose the baby will your partner resent you for it? Harsh? yes, but thats why at the end of the day its up to the person who is pregnant and their partner. As you pointed out there are risks every day, i nearly had a car drive into the side of me when I was pregnant with DS. Its funny how your way of thinking changes when you are pregnant and faced with a MC - I lent over in my car and the hand break dug into my tummy, the next day i had bleeding (6 weeks along) we thought i was having a MC and then at the time i thought it was my fault.

I have no problem with horseriding while pregnant and at the end of the day your the only one that can make that decision, not everyone else :)By the sounds of things your partner is happy for you to keep riding (lucky you, mine took some convincing) so i say go for it

oh hun please dont think i got offended at all! as i stated everyone has their own opinion and i knew i would get differing views when i posted it!
as you say im lucky that my hubby is supportive, if he was freakin out at me i would have to stop lol. grin

Sign in to follow this topic