Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

How did you tackle a cold during pregnancy? Lock Rss

Hi Ladies,

I'm 22 weeks pregnant and have come down with a terrible cold.

Baby daddy had been up north on a work trip, got sick, came home for 2 days only to get me sick and then leave again. I have now been left to deal with it on my own sad

It has been about 4-5 days and I am only getting worse with every day that passes.
Have been to the doctors twice only to be told that I have a viral infection not bacterial and therefore there is nothing they can give me to help.

Doctor has prescribed rest & plenty of fluid. But that's just not working!
I feel like I am dying! sad

I have tried so many things.. Drinking black tea with ginger, lemon & honey.
Honey on it's own
Placing onions around the house to absorb the germs
Buttermenthols
Vitamin C
Vix
Panadol
Saline Nasal spray
Eye drops

Nothing is helping!!

Am about to borrow a friends humidifer tonight to see how that goes but I am in desperate need of more advice.

I want this cold gone ASAP.

Can anyone suggest anything else??
I am 14 weeks pregnant and have had a cold twice already! (Melbourne weather doesnt help!) and the best thing for me has been my son's vapourisor! Fill it with eucalyptus and put it on a towel on your bedside table an hour before bed time with the door closed, then when you go to bed your nose instantly clears, and you can sleep well.

I was better in 3 days!

Plus had hot honey and lemon drinks and panadol when I needed it smile
I had a bad cold for 2 weeks straight at weeks 9/10 of pregnancy - I pretty much had to stay in bed for the whole 2 weeks and did everything that you're doing right now! So I feel for what you're going through.

An extra tip that I learnt from my naturopath (post-cold, darn it) was a treatment for sinus pain/blockage: get some hypericum oil (St John's Wort) and rub it with your finger on your skin over your sinusus - this gives 2-3 hours of relief, which I use at night to get to sleep. However, you must NOT eat/consume any of the oil, so wash your hands really well afterwards. Good luck!

We do know that many mums-to-be find aromatherapy helpful in easing pregnancy niggles. These include backache, nausea or swollen ankles. If you want to use aromatherapy oils, it's a good idea to take the following precautions:
Only use one or two drops of essential oil at a time.

Dilute the essential oil by mixing the drops with at least a teaspoon (5ml) of a base oil before you add it to a bath or massage it into your skin. Grapeseed oil or sweet almond oil work well as base oils.

You can add drops of the oil to a vaporiser, but don't leave it on for longer than 10 or 15 minutes in each hour. If you leave it on for too long, the smell can be overpowering and make you feel nauseous.

It's best to start using essential oils once you are past the first trimester. If you use them in the first trimester, always consult an aromatherapist who's trained in treating mums-to-be.

Oils that are safe for you to use

As long as your pregnancy is going well, it's fine for you to use:
citrus oils, such as tangerine and neroli
German chamomile
common lavender
frankincense
black pepper
peppermint
ylang ylang
eucalyptus
bergamot
cypress
rose

Oils that are not safe for you to use

Don't use the following essential oils while you are pregnant:
nutmeg, which may have hallucinogenic effects and react with pain-relieving drugs in labour
rosemary, which is thought to increase blood pressure, and may cause contractions
basil, which is thought to contribute to abnormal cell development
jasmine and clary sage, which may trigger contractions
sage, which may cause bleeding in your uterus (womb)
juniper berry, which may affect your kidneys

In some circumstances, it's best to steer clear of essential oils altogether. Don't use any oils if:
you have a history of miscarriage
you have had any vaginal bleeding in this pregnancy
you have epilepsy
you have heart problems
you have diabetes, blood clotting problems, or have thyroid, liver or kidney disease

http://www.babycenter.com.au/x536449/is-it-safe...

Also, you might want to add a little tea tree oil to the eucalyptus and do a steam inhalation, great for colds. Tea tree (also safe for preg) is antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal!

not to sure with the vicks as it is quite a concentrated form my pharmisist imformed me to steer clear as it is absorbed in the skin.

Garlic will help alot it has good antiviral fighting power, copious amounts as well as vitaman c to help it absorb. Fresh is better than cooked.

Hope you get better soon
The best thing I find for relief when sick whilst pregnant is to use the vaporiser lots. A little trick I was told at the pharmacy was to use the saline nasal spray in the hot shower. It really does make a difference and gives some relief. Just leave one in the shower so you remember.

Hi dear. I am really sorry to hear that you are facing this kind of problem while pregnancy. I am very happy to see you consulting your problems in a public forum. I am a mother of two children so maybe my tips can help you. When you become pregnant, your immune system is likely to change. As a result of these changes, you may contract a cold or a cough at some point during your pregnancy. In addition, your illness may last longer. The good news is that even though you probably feel fatigued, the symptoms of a cold or flu are not typically dangerous to your baby. However, it is important to take the necessary measures to avoid contracting a cold or a cough while pregnant and to treat it once you get one. You can do something like taking naps, sleep through the night, and sit down to relax. Try to consult a good gynecologist as I consulted with one in Ukraine and the tips helped a lot.
Hello taylalyn, I'm really sorry about your situation. I would recommend you to take rest as much as you can.
Hi dear, Thanks for asking the question as I was thinking of asking the same. Last night was horrible for me but today my friend asked me to visit Lotus Center in Ukraine. She visited there last month and her pregnancy problems were solved magically by their doctors so I am thinking of going too. I am just 5 weeks pregnant and have a cold and extremely dry lip! I took a paracetamol last night but I was a bit worried that this early on it might not be a good idea? I think I better stick to the lemon and honey. Apparently fresh ginger and boiling water are very good. The problem is that with some average cold symptoms like stuffy nose and sore throat, and into the mix pregnancy symptoms of feeling sick and easily flushed it feels like full on flu! I’m a bit of a wimp though. my Dh also think that my immune system should be super strong what with all the healthy eating and pregnancy vitamins I’m taking! Hope we all get better soon!
Hey there! I hope you're doing good. So you're having flu and it's not getting better in any case. Cold and flu during pregnancy. Getting the cold or flu when you are pregnant can affect your unborn baby. A cold is a very common mild viral infection of the nose, throat, sinuses and upper airways. It can cause a blocked nose followed by a runny nose, sneezing, a sore throat and a cough. menthol rub on your chest, temples, and under the nose. Nasal strips, which are sticky pads that open congested airways. My sister usually used to take these things e when she had flu in pregnancy. Cough drops or lozenges. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) for aches, pains, and fevers. Cough suppressant at night. Expectorant during the day. I hope that this helps you. Take care of yourself. Much love.
Sorry to hear! I like good old fashioned chicken soup
Cold is one of the most common ailments. It is bothering and really irritating. In pregnancy it becomes really problematic. Therefore most of the pregnant women are concerned about the fact that how to treat cold in pregnancy? There is no need to go for medication. It is better to seek your doctor's help/. Natural treatments like rest, good food and a lot of water intake can be really helpful.
Sign in to follow this topic