Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Keeping Fit & Healthy during Pregnancy
  5. Am I overweight?? What should I be doing? emotional....

Am I overweight?? What should I be doing? emotional.... Lock Rss

Have just found out im 4weeks pregnant with my 2nd babe- soooo so excited but Im not as slim as Id have hoped- im not huge, but what you would call solid.... BMI 28 (80kgs). I was slightly smaller with my first baby (only a few kgs) & although we had lots of complications none of them were weight related. Am i being stupid? All of a sudden im so upset & nervous that the doctor will give me 'that look' when I tell him my weight.... like as if to be like- um your a bit fat. :-/ maybe im just overly emotional?? Anyone able to share similar feelings/advice? & should I be on a pregnancy diet?

Thanks so much in advance xx
I started off my first pregnancy at 81kg. Yes i considered myself overweight but not once did it stand in my way of having a healthy bub and pregnancy. My mw never once commented or looked at me badly for my weight. Even this time round i started off just under 80kg and my mw has not once had a bad thing to say about it. Being heavier they just execpt you to not put on as much weight as a skinny person. So dont worry about your weight. Just make sure you have a healthy pregnancy. Pregnancy is no time for diets. Trust me iv thought about it but i have kept telling myself that i can loose weight after bubba is born. All the best for a healthy and smooth pregnancy.

Congratulations smile I am quite a lot heavier than you and I had many of the same feelings with my first baby too. It is a terrible feeling to think you may be judged at a time which should be so happy. I spoke to my midwife about it early on as it was stressing me. She only weighed me once at the start and was really positive and supportive about eating well and exercising - walking and aquajogging for me. It was the healthiest I'd been for years and I had a great pregnancy. Are you planning on having a midwife? If so then I'd talk to her about it. I don't think diets are a good idea in pregnancy, your midwife should be able to give you good info on healthy eating in pregnancy and maybe she can refer you to a dietician if you wanted that. Sorry for the ramble I'm 7 weeks pregnant myself and the hormones have sent me into emotional mayhem, so don't beat yourself up for being emotional. It is a sensitive and personal thing. Take care smile
Thanks lovely mamas. No idea why I am all of a sudden worried about this- but feel better. I guess looking at a flabby stretched mark tummy can sometimes be a bit of a downer haha. smile Thanks for feedback, Im sure it'l be fine & although I wont diet as such Ill try at least to eat relatively well xx
Congrats on your pregnancy! I wouldn't be dieting as such...just be sensible with what you are eating and your portion sizes. Aim not to put on too much weight...did you put on much first time around? Surround yourself with positive people and if a midwife says anything to you tell them where to go! I'm sure they see lots of mummies who are a lot heavier than you are...as long as you feel healthy thats all that matters.

Congrats on your pregnancy, My BMI was 31 and my weight 84kg when I got pregnant. I am now at 30 weeks and my midwife thinks Im boring as nothing is wrong and everything going smoothly. If it makes you feel better Im also 41 so Im trying to make things as hard for myself as I can but its not working smile
My doctor and midwife dont believe in BMI anyway. They were both happy with the fact my waist was less than half my height which is apparently a better guide. Dont stress smile

I had just started going to the gym when I found out I was pregnant with DS, and I was around the same weight as you. To be fair I had put on a bit of weight the year before as I had given up smoking. I didn't believe all the drs and midwives when I went to my appointments talking about BMI's I was still lifting weights right up to 37 weeks just before my son was born. The instructors at my gym were fantastic they were all mothers and really helped me do a lot of exercises to keep fit, although it didn't deter me from getting GD but it wasn't so bad I ate really healthy and was going to the gym at least 3 times a week, sometimes more. My OB suggested that for my next pregnancy I should try to lose some weight before getting pregnant but that's mostly to help prevent getting GD again.
Being overweight does put you and your baby at increased risk, partivatlt if low birth weight babies, pre term delivery and gestational diabetes, but with the right management, you should be both just fine. My OB was actually very encouraging in loosing weight while pregnant if over weight, and increasing fitness. You actually don't need that many extra calories while pregnant and many people fall into the trap of 'eating for two'. It just isn't necessary. I was 79kgs when I fell with my eldest, but with careful diet and exercise, I had a complication free delivery of a healthy full term baby. I was 75kgs at full term and down to 69kgs six weeks post birth. For my second I started at 64kgs and the difference in how my body managed the pregnancy for being lighter was amazing.

Clax wrote:
Being overweight does put you and your baby at increased risk, partivatlt if low birth weight babies, pre term delivery and gestational diabetes, but with the right management, you should be both just fine. My OB was actually very encouraging in loosing weight while pregnant if over weight, and increasing fitness. You actually don't need that many extra calories while pregnant and many people fall into the trap of 'eating for two'. It just isn't necessary. I was 79kgs when I fell with my eldest, but with careful diet and exercise, I had a complication free delivery of a healthy full term baby. I was 75kgs at full term and down to 69kgs six weeks post birth. For my second I started at 64kgs and the difference in how my body managed the pregnancy for being lighter was amazing.

Wow that's great to hear clax. I'm a little overweight and am really hoping to eat healthy and exercise during this pregnancy and go the same way as you smile
You give me hope! !

It's one of those things - it increases "risk" but doesn't necessarily mean a negative outcome WILL happen, just that it is a known risk factor and therefore needs to be monitored. The important thing is that you be sensible in your pregnancy weight gain. Remember that you're not really "eating for two," aim for a balanced diet and whatever exercise you and baby can safely tolerate. Of course this advice is good for anyone who is pregnant. I'm on the flip side of you - I was underweight before my first pregnancy and was warned I was at risk of preterm birth and low birth weight, however I went to 40+3wks and delivered a healthy 8pd baby. Then with this pregnancy, I went in perfect weight and in good health, very low risk and now my pregnancy has turned complicated and I'm at high risk for a preterm birth - sometimes you just can't pick it!

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Sorry to hear that :-/ My first baby was 4weeks early & we had lots of complications as well- so far I feel completely different this one & am nauseus but no way near like last time at the same stage. I have lost 1kg this week- but havent tried just feel bloated so guess i havent been having such big portions. So this is all good. First pregnancy I gained 14kg so not alot in the scheme of things- aim for similar amount this time. I will go through an OB just for peace of mind due to last pregnancy. My blood pressure etc is good (currently) so im sure (hoping) we will be fine. Thanks again everyone- really appareciate it xx
Sign in to follow this topic