Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Exercise in early pregnancy Lock Rss

Hi ladies,

I have just found out that I'm pregnant smile Just over 4 weeks at the moment so very early.

We had a miscarriage in January, so I am a bit nervous.

Just wanted to ask your advice and see what you've been told about exercise in early pregnancy. Since January (started after my miscarriage), I've been doing fitness training classes which involve a combination of toning (usually weights and boxing) and cardio (light jogging). Prior to that, I was pretty unfit, so I do find that I can get quite puffed in the classes, though my fitness has been improving.

Is there a target heart rate that you shouldn't get above when pregnant? I will tell the trainers I am pregnant on my next class and not push myself as hard as before, but just want to make sure this is safe.

Congrats!

Target HR used to be 140 or the 'talk test' - you always want to be able to hold a conversation while exercising (havent read up on latest recommendations). Also fluid is really important so keep drinking water!

However, with your past history, I'd suggest you get medical approval to continue to exercise. Any good instructor should request this anyway so exercises and intensities can be adapted.

Hi and congrats!

Target HR isn't recommended anymore as everyone is different (myself my HR sky rockets as soon as I start exercising and I'm quite fit). The "talk test" as the previous post mentioned is great, as well as just listening to your body. I had to stop doing any jumping because my tummy feels heavy already and I just don't feel comfortable.

However I definitely would seek medical advice prior to continuing due to your previous miscarriage (sorry to hear sad ) as it can be contraindicated.

Hi; firstly congrats on your pregnancy! Before having my DD (in 2012) I had been pregnant the year prior where I had miscarried. I do understand that for most ppl they are able to continue their regular exercise routine but I found that it was after trip to the gym that I would start to feel “odd” and subsequently lost our baby at 10.5weeks. After that scare I told myself that I would just suspend my gym membership if/when I feel pregnant again (which I did a yr later).
Once I did fall pregnant I did just that (suspend membership) but did a lot of walking every day and ate as healthily as I could. You can bet once I could muster up strength to head back to the gym (post baby) I was the first one sweating away wondering WHERE my fitness had disappeared to ?

i think everyone is differnt though in relation to their body's "coping skills". i say follow that gut instinct of yours; if your intuition is telling you to take it easy (and just walk) then i would say to listen...
Thanks so much for your advice ladies. I have decided to put my membership on hold for a while and maybe look in to a gentler exercise routine like pilates and regular walking. There are a few pregnant girls in the classes, but they were all quite fit before and have been doing it for years, while I am still very new to it and even the slightest amount of cardio gets me puffed and feeling exhausted. I spoke to one of my OB's nurses and she suggested the same. Thanks again. x

Chops30 wrote:
Thanks so much for your advice ladies. I have decided to put my membership on hold for a while and maybe look in to a gentler exercise routine like pilates and regular walking. There are a few pregnant girls in the classes, but they were all quite fit before and have been doing it for years, while I am still very new to it and even the slightest amount of cardio gets me puffed and feeling exhausted. I spoke to one of my OB's nurses and she suggested the same. Thanks again. x

Good luck - i hope all goes well!
x
Sign in to follow this topic