Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Keeping Fit & Healthy during Pregnancy
  5. Managing old demons, with an ever expanding waste line.

Managing old demons, with an ever expanding waste line. Rss

Hey Ladies,

I'm expecting my first baby and I'm currently 6 months pregnant. I have a complex history with Body Dysmorphia, from 13 years old into my late 20's I battled with bulimia and anorexia. I finally put the physical actions of my eating disorder to bed after years of counselling. I even became a Pin Up Model and subsequently, a Burlesque Performer. After 3 years working as a performer, I thought all my demons were gone. I had accepted myself and who I was, I was finally at peace.

However, as my body grows and changes with my beautiful baby girl inside me. Those negative thoughts and demons have been unleashed, infiltrating my thoughts.

My bust has grown from a ample 8FF to a 10H/12GG and I have jumped up 2 dress sizes. I'm carrying high so I literally feel like a ball sad

To top it off my sister in law told me Tuesday, that I looked massive. That I was too big for what I should be at this stage of the pregnancy. Cut to three days of tears and my beautiful hubby trying to console me. I feel crushed and back in a place i thought I had long since left behind.

I eat healthy, exercise every other day and although my doctor did tell me I had gained a healthy amount of weight during the 1st and 2nd trimester (so far I've gained 9kg), my weight gain has now plateaued. All my stats are perfect and so is my little girl. But inside my head I can't help but hear the negative voices, that plagued me as a teen/young adult.

Has anyone had similar experiences with their body image during pregnancy? I would love anyone's advice, especially those who to have battled with eating disorders and/or body dysmorphia.

Big Hugs

Sometimes its nicer if people keep there mouths closed, everybody is different some carry high some low some gain the weight early on and some gain all in the last month! and at only gaining 9kgs so far you are doing really well, just think of the positives, you are healthy and your baby is healthy I know its hard but try not to listen to people who say you are huge for how far you are ( and if she knows your history then it was very inconsiderate of her) and just in joy knowing in a few months you will have a beautiful baby smile
Thank you for both of your replies, I appreciate your words of advice. I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant and still expanding smile But after seeking with my Midwifes at the hospital, they have all assured me that nothing is wrong with me weight wise, my baby is exactly how she should be for the stage of the pregnancy.

Am just going to continue eating as I have been, 3 healthy meals a day plus little snacks as and when I feel like them. I swim every other day for 45 mins, 4 times a week so I'm happy I'm keeping active enough for me and my baby.

My midwifes have been wonderful and I am scheduled to talk to a counselor about my past eating disorder demons, they have been very supporting and I'm grateful to have such fine medical care available.

Thank you again Ladies, Big Hugs xX
Hi,

I looked like a beach ball when I was pregnant. I put on about 30 kgs (I went from 50 to 80 kgs). Everyday I went to work at least one or two people would comment on how large I was getting. It was all stomach and I told them, but still they liked to comment. I was really distressed about all the comments. I kept up with exercise each day which is cycling and they commented about that as well, but I stopped running. The comments got to me in the end. My partner wanted me to cycle and swim and move some furniture the other day when I was having stomach aches and I got so stressed, I flipped out and he kicked me out - I didn't leave and tried to make him understand the stress I was under (I gave birth the next day at 1am). I just had bub about 5 days ago and have been jogging since. I hope to get my weight down soon. I'm probably the worst person to help you. The reason my profile is of Mrs Claus, is because I won the 5km Santa race twice. I underestimated the amount of pressure people would put on me during pregnancy.
Mumof2hunnys wrote:
Aww, don't worry you are growing a healthy baby. I had a comment from a woman taking my bloods when I pregnant with my first I think I was 27 weeks saying my belly was too small. She worried me by this comments.
With my second I had health issues and put on weight everywhere. Most of it is gone now. I know it's hard put don't listen to these negative comments. I swear people do it to make you feel bad.
Next time you get comments just say ' my doctor says I am heathy and so is my baby and His knowledge on MY health is all I am taking on board' or something to that affect.
Keep smiling you have a new life growing inside you and that is all that matters!

agreed... be happy and think good... everything is gonna be just fine... smile
MrsClaus wrote:
Hi,

I looked like a beach ball when I was pregnant. I put on about 30 kgs (I went from 50 to 80 kgs). Everyday I went to work at least one or two people would comment on how large I was getting. It was all stomach and I told them, but still they liked to comment. I was really distressed about all the comments. I kept up with exercise each day which is cycling and they commented about that as well, but I stopped running. The comments got to me in the end. My partner wanted me to cycle and swim and move some furniture the other day when I was having stomach aches and I got so stressed, I flipped out and he kicked me out - I didn't leave and tried to make him understand the stress I was under (I gave birth the next day at 1am). I just had bub about 5 days ago and have been jogging since. I hope to get my weight down soon. I'm probably the worst person to help you. The reason my profile is of Mrs Claus, is because I won the 5km Santa race twice. I underestimated the amount of pressure people would put on me during pregnancy.

Take a break darls... You can do real damage to your lady parts if you don't rest and let them heal properly after birth.

To the original poster, sounds healthy weight gain. All people say stupid crap... Try to put the ear muffs on or cut them off if the convo goes that way.
Hey. I hope everything is well at your side. I was in the same boat when experienced pregnancy for the first time. Every one would say that I am a ball who would keep on inflating every day. People would comment on my physical appearance when I would move to my work. I started feeling low. I wanted not to go to work. Then, my husband supported me. He would take me out for a walk. I would do exercise. Sometimes pregnancy yoga too. So, dear I think you should not take what others say too seriously. You must focus on yourself. You must be growing a healthy baby. Stay positive about it. All the best to you. Stay safe. I hope to hear more from you.
Sign in to follow this topic