Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

5 Pregnancy Sun Protection Tips Rss

During pregnancy, your skin is more sensitive than ever. It's super important that you take care and use a good sunscreen, shades, a hat and loose protective clothing during the Australian summer. Here are some top tips for making sure you stay sun safe this summer:

1. Choose your sunscreen carefully

Pick a formula that guards against UVA and UVB rays with an SPF of 30 or higher. In your extra-sensitive state, steer clear of chemical sunscreens and go for physical blockers (the label will list zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as main ingredients). They sit on top of skin, rather than being absorbed into it.

2. Be aware that your skin is extra sensitive now

Pregnancy alters your immune system, which may put you at a higher risk of developing skin cancer if you don't take precautions. Your skin more susceptible to discolouration (anything from freckles to melasma) when it's exposed to UV rays. Be sure to always wear a good quality sunscreen, avoid direct sunlight in the middle of the day and always re-apply sunscreen after swimming or if you have been swimming.

3. Protect your pregnancy bump!

Don't want your linea negra to get darker? Then you'll need to cover up by wearing a full piece maternity swimsuit or a lightly fitting sun protection top over your bikini. There are lots of lovely full and half length summer dresses designed to be worn at the beach so that you can have fun choosing a style.

4. Sunglasses and a hat

Make sure your sunglasses have 100% UV protection and wear a wide brimmed hat. Baseball caps don't cut it in the height of the Australian sun as they leave the back of your neck exposed. Choose a wide brimmed straw hat for a fun beach look!

5. Avoid sunbathing or being in the sun in the middle of the day

The best times to enjoy the beach are early in the day or late afternoon. The sun and UV rays are at their peek at midday, so it makes sense to avoid the sun then.
Totally agree about sunglasses! I wanted just to ask you what sunglasses would you recommend to really protect my eyes?
I prefer the round shape of RayBans. And they have the protection of 100%. These are what you need to consider when you buy such sunglasses. 1. Make it 100 percent. The single most important thing to look for when buying sunglasses to protect your eyes is a sticker or tag indicating that they block 100 percent of UV rays. However, fewer than half of people buying sunglasses bother to check whether the lenses protect the eyes from ultraviolet light, according to the Academy's 2014 national sun safety survey.
2. Bigger is better. The more coverage from sunglasses, the less sun damage inflicted on the eyes. Consider buying oversized glasses or wraparound-style glasses, which help cut down on UV entering the eye from the side.
3. Darker lenses don't protect better. While very dark lenses may look cool, they do not necessarily block more UV rays. Also, I finally bought a pair for my husband from a store with sunglasses for men and they have block 100 percent of UV rays.
lakersgirl wrote:
I prefer the round shape of RayBans. And they have the protection of 100%. These are what you need to consider when you buy such sunglasses. 1. Make it 100 percent. The single most important thing to look for when buying sunglasses to protect your eyes is a sticker or tag indicating that they block 100 percent of UV rays. However, fewer than half of people buying sunglasses bother to check whether the lenses protect the eyes from ultraviolet light, according to the Academy's 2014 national sun safety survey.
2. Bigger is better. The more coverage from sunglasses, the less sun damage inflicted on the eyes. Consider buying oversized glasses or wraparound-style glasses, which help cut down on UV entering the eye from the side.
3. Darker lenses don't protect better. While very dark lenses may look cool, they do not necessarily block more UV rays. Also, I finally bought a pair for my husband from a store with sunglasses for men and they have block 100 percent of UV rays.

lol, my husband bought from that site sunglasses too
coincidence? I don't think so smile
Sign in to follow this topic