Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Leg Cramps!!!! Lock Rss

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what causes cramps in the lower legs during the night???

I have had them before and been able to flex and point my legs to stretch them out but this morning I had one that was so bad, i couldn't move it either way. I was in tears. It seemed to be in all the muscles of my lower leg, not just the calf as usual. It took about 10 min to get it to ease.

Any ideas on what I'm lacking in or what I can do to prevent them would be great.

Andrae,WA - Liam, Siobhan and Erin

It can be dehydration (water) , lack of calcium (milk) or potassium (bannana)... So increase all those things and try and stand up and walk straight away no matter how painful it is! You get less after p;ains that way!

I get them 3-4 nights a week Andrae! Yuk aren't they!

Jx

Jilly, Qld, Mum to Amy 14/12/05 & Rebecca 20/7/07

Hey Jilly,

Thanks. I knew it was lacking in something but wasn't sure what it was. I'll have to increase the water and the bananas. I'm on rennies tablets for the heartburn so thats the calcium covered.

I tried getting up and walking this morning but couldn't put any weight on it at all. Worst i have ever had.

Andrae,WA - Liam, Siobhan and Erin

I got this off the babycentre website. Hope it helps...

How can I prevent these cramps?
Try these tips for keeping leg cramps at bay:
• Avoid standing or sitting with your legs crossed for long periods of time.

• Stretch your calf muscles regularly during the day and several times before you go to bed.

• Rotate your ankles and wiggle your toes when you sit, eat dinner, or watch TV.

• Take a walk every day, unless your midwife or doctor has advised you not to exercise.

• Avoid getting too tired. Lie down on your left side to improve circulation to and from your legs.

• Stay hydrated during the day by drinking water regularly.

• Try a warm bath before bed to relax your muscles.

• There's some evidence that taking a magnesium supplement in addition to a prenatal vitamin may help some women. Check with your provider before taking any kind of supplement during pregnancy.

You may have heard that having leg cramps is a sign that you need more calcium, and that calcium supplements will relieve the problem. Though it's certainly important to get enough calcium, there's no good evidence that taking extra calcium will help prevent leg cramps during pregnancy. In fact, in one well-designed study, pregnant women taking calcium got no more relief from leg cramps than those taking a placebo.

What's the best way to relieve a cramp when I get one?
If you do get a cramp, immediately stretch your calf muscles: Straighten your leg, heel first, and gently flex your toes back toward your shins. It might hurt at first, but it will ease the spasm and the pain will gradually go away.

You can try to relax the cramp by massaging the muscle or warming it with a hot water bottle. Walking around for a few minutes may help too.

my preg book says more sodium is needed in a diet where leg cramps r present. I eat enough salt for everyone but i still get em. i also eat heaps of dairy so i dont know. they suck but and the pain the next day is terirble. I found sleeping with a pillow betwene my knees helped a little

Ashton 13/8/04, dylan 27/8/05, #3 due 22/9/07

Sign in to follow this topic