Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

pregnancy and your work Rss

Did/has anyone else noticed a change in the way you were treated at work once you announced you were pregnant? I just get a funny feeling that I was not included in all the same discussions that I was before I was pregnant. Perhaps it was just me being over sensitive.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

roy,mumof2,nsw

Hi,
My place of work sacked me within 2 weeks of me telling them I was pregnant. And to make me feel real good they had a replacement b4 I even left. It worked out better for me, but that wasn't the point. They weren't nice to work for, so it didn't faze me, but I didn't want to be looking for a new job while pregnant. I was going to push the issue, but then i thought I can't be bothered! The job I went to was fantastic and I ended up working right up to 2 weeks b4 my daughter was born.
We like to think these things don't happen anymore, but they do.

Lisa, SA, baby girl (4.5.03)

Hi

I found that my work was great through my pregnancy and very understanding, however I did notice that the guys in the office sort of treated me different. It seemed as though they didn't know how to speak to me anymore, I know that is sounds weird but it is true, and when they did speak it was to see how long I had left and why was I still working (I worked until the Friday b4 she was born).

Shelley

S Brooks, Hobart

Hello, My work found out I was pregnant when I came back from holidays and in my 2nd week back I had a day off. My boss demanded to know what was wrong with me as I had just come back from a months holiday. I had a medical certificate and shouldnt have been at work but I knew they would be angry with me, so I went to keep the peace. I didnt know what to say when he asked did I have some sort of tummy bug?? I said well sort of, he then asked more questions so I told him I was pregnant but just. He then asked me " was it planned" and "was I happy about it". Then he asked how much time I was going to have off work................I was only 6 weeks at the time and bleeding............ I asked him to not tell anyone as it was only early days and I was bleeding. Within a week the whole office knew. When I was 6 months pregnant I asked to go to a different job as the one I was doing was going to change and no point learning the changes for a few months. They agreed but the supervisor from the department I was going to told them I was going to be a waste of resource. Of course not to my face, but it did get back to me. It was so hard working with him when I knew what he thought about me!!

I still work for the same organisation but not that office thankfully.
IM FINDING MY WORK TO BE EXCELLENT ABOUT THE WHOLE THING........

i am due the 19th september and although my year wont be up till 11th august my work has said i can leave earlier and still be intitled to my full maternity leave..... all my appointments for the hospital they have thurned into RDO's so that it does not affect my Anual or sick leave........
my industry is male dominent (no its not a sexist comment-its true) and when it comes to the babies needs i think they are more understanding then what other employers would be(no offence to any one out there:)smile

I THINK IF YOU ARE HAPPY AT YOUR WORK AND THE PEOPLE THAT SURROUND YOU ARE COMPFORTABLE YOU WILL HAVE A EASY PREGNANCY WHILE WORKING, BUT IF WORKING IS GOING TO CAUSE MORE STRESS YOUR BETTER OFF LEAVING.........

im staying till a few weeks prior....... and its travelling happy
Sign in to follow this topic