Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Pregnancy & Relationships
  5. when is the right time to announce your pregnancy ?

when is the right time to announce your pregnancy ? Lock Rss

Hi

I am currently 5 weeks pregnant with my second I know usually people wait for the 12 week mark but why is that? it took us 11 months for us to get pregnant and I just want to tell everyone cause I am so happy.

with my first alot of people guessed it because of the bad morning sickness that I had! I would love to know what you think and when did you tell everyone ?

thanks

Ronell
a
Hi

We told the people closest to us early on but waited a bit longer for others. I know a friend who is waiting because the incidence of miscarriage for first babies is so high. It's easier to only have a few people to tell if something goes wrong. Once your past that 12 week mark the chances of miscarriage are smaller. However most people I know couldn't wait that long to tell people.
Hi. You can tell everyone whenever you want. People wait the 12 weeks because that is when the risk of miscarriage goes down to pretty much nothing. It is also when you have your 12 weeks scan when they can pick up if there is any problems with the pregnancy.
My husband couldn't keep his big mouth shut with either of my pregnancies so EVERYONE knew from the beginning (5 weeks)
With my first everyone knew almost straight away because my parents were so excited about theyre first grandbaby they couldn't wait. The second only people close knew then I eventually more people figured it out because of the large bump in front of me. Now with our third for some reason Im not wanting to tell many people, Mum's told my brothers and their partners but I dont know whether or not to tell more people which is funny because Ive already had two so I should be used to it by now, but this ones feels different. Well more than likely because we had only agreed 3 weeks ago that two healthy children were enough and that my husband would get snipped and just as I had gotten used to the idea of no more children I found out Im pregnant. I couldnt be happier because I always wanted four, the husbands still goign to get snipped and Im more than happy with 3.
As the others have said, people wait until 12wks because that is when the possibilty of miscarriage decreases dramatically to almost nothing and also you get your scan which confirms bubs is fine. With our first baby we told everyone 5 days before my 12 wk scan, but when we had the scan we found out that i had a missed miscarriage. It was very difficult having to tell everyone what had happened it was like reliving that moment over and over again. With our second bubs we waited until after the 12 wk scan and will do the same with the next bubs too. Its a personal choice and totally up to you. Its just hard having lots of people ask you how the baby is after you have miscarried then having to explain to them what happened. But not everyone miscarries that is also why alot of people tell everyone straight away as well. Good luck with everything.
We waited a long time to tell most people, especially as it was unplanned and it took a while to come to terms with the big news. Also I am on medication which causes serious birth defects so we definately wanted to wait to make sure bubs was ok before we told too many ppl as we may have had to abort.

Personally I am a very private person too so there are still friends of mine who have only found out recently and I am nearly due! lol

It's all up to you & your partner and what you decide, if you have had healthy pregnancies previously then I guess a m/c is less likely so might not me so much of a concern.

People tend to hold off telling everyone until they are 12 weeks, then you dont have to explain anything if you do miscarrage. Tell the people closest to you whenever you like, but see if they will hold off telling everyone until your in the 'safezone (ie after 12 weeks)
We told immediate family straight away with DS, but kept it from eveyone else until I was 12weeks. With this one, we told family straight away again, and then everyone else at about 7 weeks. My reasons changed after DS because I just felt that a third of my pregnancy had gone without people knowing & without me being able to enjoy it properly!! I didn't want to miss out on any of the happiness second time round, especially coz like you we had been trying for 11months! Plus, I understand people waiting until the risk of miscarriage has dramatically reduced, but I wouldn't hide the fact that I had lost a baby anyway & I would like the support around me. Another reason I didn't want to hide it. There's no right or wrong time - it's a completely personal decision. You tell who you want when you want :)And congratulations!!

Just in regards to michasmums comment in regards to 'hiding' a miscarriage.... Hiding it hasn't absolutely nothing to do with not wanting to tell people; it is the fact that it is a very painful thing to talk about and having to re-live it time and time again is awful especially when it has happened recently. I tell people i have had a miscarriage, i love my baby and i am not ashamed of it or the fact that i never got to hold my baby in my arms i don't know why anyone would be!!It is easier for me to talk about it now some time has past but it still hurts.

Just in regards to michasmums comment in regards to 'hiding' a miscarriage.... Hiding it hasn't absolutely nothing to do with not wanting to tell people; it is the fact that it is a very painful thing to talk about and having to re-live it time and time again is awful especially when it has happened recently. I tell people i have had a miscarriage, i love my baby and i am not ashamed of it or the fact that i never got to hold my baby in my arms i don't know why anyone would be!!It is easier for me to talk about it now some time has past but it still hurts.

I didn't mean hiding it because you're ashamed of it. I'm sorry if that caused offence. Hiding was obviously the wrong word to use. I understand it must be incredibly painful to talk about - I almost lost this one (or was told twice that I had) & that was painful enough to talk about. I'm really sorry if I upset you - I did not mean to do that at all. I just didn't communicate what I was trying to say properly sad

We only found out at 7 weeks. We told our parents and I told my two best friends.
My partner on the other hand was nearly yelling it off the roof top. I had to ask him to hush incase something happened.

I was 12 weeks around xmas so called the rest of our families and gave them the news.

Cooper 24-7-2009

Sign in to follow this topic