Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Am I overreacting? Lock Rss

AARRRGHHH... I'm frustrated and need a vent so sorry in advance. We are going to Japan next Thursday with our two kids (2 yrs and 10mths) I am also 18 wks pregnant. I have clearly explained to my husband that I am really worried about the kids or myself picking up a bug or cold just before we leave and making either the flight or the holiday miserable (or maybe not even be able to go) as myself or the kids are sick.

Consequently, I have said to him that I do not want us or the kids to get together with other people over the weekend and I have cancelled all the kids lessons next week so that we minimise our chances of getting sick. I know that we might still get sick but I want to minimise the chances.

His uncle rung up and invited us around for dinner on Saturday night and he accepted the invitation! All it takes is for someone to have a touch of a cold and it could seriously affect our holiday! I'm really annoyed and angry as we have spoken about this before and it is me that is going to have to get up on the holiday to the sick kids and me that is going to have the child with the painful ears screaming for 9 hrs on the plane.

Am I over reacting? It could be the pregnancy hormones or the fact that we have all had a vomiting bug this week that my 10mth old is not yet over that is making me paranoid...
I can understand what your saying, but I don't know if putting yourself in isolation is 'healthy' (in a mental sense). I'm guessing you will still go out grocery shopping and your husband is leaving the house when he goes to work??? I always think the worse place for germs is touching a shopping trolley, as who knows who touched it before you. Plus, the actual plane flight, being in such a closed in space, with all the other passengers, is just a haven for germs. Unfortunately, that's life. I think you will just drive yourself crazy, worrying that you 'might'get sick. Just relax, and enjoy your holiday.

Eve75

I can understand what your saying, but I don't know if putting yourself in isolation is 'healthy' (in a mental sense). I'm guessing you will still go out grocery shopping and your husband is leaving the house when he goes to work??? I always think the worse place for germs is touching a shopping trolley, as who knows who touched it before you. Plus, the actual plane flight, being in such a closed in space, with all the other passengers, is just a haven for germs. Unfortunately, that's life. I think you will just drive yourself crazy, worrying that you 'might'get sick. Just relax, and enjoy your holiday.

I'll do day to day things like the shopping (though I will leave the boys at home), going to the park and hubby is going to work and I know that planes are known for passing things around but I feel like once we go if we get sick then we will be right but if I'm not well (as I'm 18wks pregnant) or the baby is not well I think I will feel very nervous about going to a country where little english is spoken and health care is very expensive. I just want to minimise the chances of getting sick.
Aww sweetheart, I know how stressful it can be getting ready to go overseas with little people, I travel to Aussie frequently and athough the language is the same the healthcare is still expensive.

You are very brave traveling with children the age yours are and being pregnant too.

For me when I first started traveling with my children I would get very nervous that something would go wrong and we wouldnt be able to go or something may happen when we were there. Every time we have travelled we have had one thing at least that has cropped up that has made me wonder if it will actually happen or if we will get left at home.

But I have discovered that it will happen, and it will be fine and we have a great holiday.

So what I am saying is that yes there is a risk that if you step outside your house you and maybe your children could get sick..... and its worth being a little cautious but it is not good for you to be worrying at the extent that you are. Some things in life are unavoidable and if you are going out into public and your husband is going to work then going to someones place for dinner wont make much difference.

I know that your DH did know how you felt but sometimes males just forget, and because hes not stressed about it then it makes it even less of an issue for him.

Get travel insurance for your family for just in case, relax because it is hard enough getting ready to go away and have a fantastic time smile

Oh and with the kids if you give them something to chew on on the way up and down then their ears will be fine... I use lollies, but a bottle for your youngest would be good too.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

Dansally - Thanks so much for understanding how stressful it can be travelling with kids...I am an experienced independent traveller but have never done it with kids in tow! I think maybe I am a little stressed out about organising the whole trip for the family and that is where the stress is coming out! I'm not sleeping and am up at night thinking about all the things that need to be done before we leave. My kids in the last 6mths have had 12 colds and 2 stomach bugs - it just feels like they see another kid and they contract a disease! LOL!

I have relented on the visiting the friends house but since they are not aware that we are going overseas next week I'm going to ring first and explain the situation. They are parents themselves so they are sure to understand. That way if anyone does have a cold etc then I will politely excuse the children from the evening.

We have travel insurance but with DH's job and my pregnancy its now or never regarding the trip and I am just soooo excited about it- I guess that is why i'm so stressed about it going smoothly.
Its good to hear that you are feeling a bit better about things, just relax about it a little more and let your excitement take over- it isnt easy I know!

Just remember it will happen, it will be lots of fun and you will be okay wink

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

Sign in to follow this topic