Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

FIRST TIME PREGNANT WITH TWINS Lock Rss

Hi Everyone
i'm new to this site, just signed up last night. thought it could help me get throught all the emotions i'm feeling at the moment.
we found out about 3 weeks ago at the 12 week scan that i'm having identical twins.
i was so happy, well trying to be anyway, but its just such a high risk pregnancy that anything could go wrong...
i'm really trying to be positive as this is such an amazing gift and miracle that has happened and would not have it any other way, and i want everything to work out fine but its hard to get excited.
any one else going or have gone through this.... smile smile
Congratulations on your pregnancy! There are some great tips and advice in our Week by Week Pregnancy Guide which may be of use to you.
Thank you Mum of 3 cuties,
it seems that everyone has been telling me the same thing, dont worry until you have something to worry about, which i guess is right.
Where can i find these Due threads, i'm new to site and cant seems to find it. smile

thank you for your well wishes and support i already feel much better

talk soon
Thank you smilesmile
Congratulations! I have twin boys, just turned 3. I went to my 12 week scan with a 60/40 chance of a miscarriage so you can understand my surprise when they told us there were two healthly heartbeats! Good luck with everything,enjoy this time, take care of yourself, listen to the drs and rest when you think you need to....and its ok to be excited, because twins really are a little miracle!

jen74

Congratulations on your twin pregnancy. My last pregnancy was an identical twin pregnancy. I discovered I was having twins at 10 weeks. Unfortunately they began to suffer from twin to twin transfusion syndrome as they shared one placented in and 80/20 split. I had to have laser surgery to give them the best chance of survival. Unfortunately a week after surgery my smallest bighearted boy lost his fight but I continued on with the pregnancy and gave birth to Calvin my survivor and Stephen my angel. I urge to be checked regularly and ask about your risk for TTTS. I hope that you have a trouble free pregnancy!
Hey Congratulations!

My wife and I are currently 24 weeks pregnant with MCDA twins. It was all a bit of a shock to begin with when we found out but we slowly got our heads around it. Worried about TTTS and other complications, but so far so good. Both boys seem to be growing at the same rate. Wife is starting to slow down now though wink

I'm not sure if it's useful to hear a males perspective smile But, what I found worked for me was to compartmentalise three areas to try an avoid it being overwhelming:

1) Health of mum & baby - The #1 priority. everything going fine so far... having scans & ob visits every 2 weeks...

2) Preparing the house - getting bigger car, extra car seats, cots, etc. etc. etc. Hey it's only money right wink

3) The carnage that will be 3 kids under 4 - well nothing we can do about this yet, except involve our 3 yr old daughter as much as possible and letting her know that she has two little brothers to boss around.

I found it also useful to think slightly philosophical about the fantastic life experience my wife and I will have raising twins.

Another bit of advice, be wary of digging into too many internet sites... I spent a bit too much time looking around and there are too many scary things out there. but that probably goes for researching any medical thing on the web smile

Hope it all goes well for you and the bubs.

PS. do you have any kids at the moment?
JEN74-Thank you for your positive response, its nice to hear that things willl work out fine.
its my first pregnancy so you can understand the fear i have of the unknown, and just want both bundles of joy in my arms happy and healthy, but i know i have a long road ahead of me. Thank you for your support.

NAPPERS- Thank you for your response, i am so so sorry for your loss but what a miracle to have your beautiful boy survive in the end. My attitute to life and my pregnancy at the moment is things happen for a reason and you just have to take the good with the bad, unfortunately there is nothing you can do to, I hope my pregnancy is trouble free also. Thanks again for your feedback.

KPHILLPOTTS- Its so great having a males perspective on all of this. My husband has been my rock but does not show me hes worried because he knows that i will worry even more then, which i guess is a good thing he is doing. Congrats on your 2 boys, its the most amazing experience and we are so blessed to have gone through ths journey. Thank you for all your advise, seems like everyone is telling me the same thing, i did google a little but found some scary stuff and just stopped after that.
every story is different so i cant base anything on what i read.
It is quite difficult to get prepared and organised as we still dont know what's going on but i'm just trying to be positive with it all and take each day as it comes.
I dont have any children, this will our first, which is exciting.
will keep you posted on how things are going.smile
Hi Jessica

I am currently also pregnant with twins. Ours are not identical though. This is my first pregnancy and we were pregnant after only a month off the pill so when we found out we were not just having a baby but having twins it was very over whelming!

That has now turned into excitement and now at 19 weeks, I am happy to say, so far I have had a very smooth pregnancy. I am considered high risk for other medical reasons also and really I just try to remain with the mentality of taking one day at a time and listen to my body as much as possible when it comes to feeling tired etc.

Surprisingly my husbands biggest worry is more that something may go wrong and happen to me! So it's important to understand where their worry comes from.

I guess at the end of the day only a very small percentage of pregnancies go exactly to plan. My advise is it's not your wedding day, its giving birth and there is not point in worrying about what you can't control. So just focus on the things that you can, like you own health and well being and organising as much as you can as early as you can while you still have the energy!

Good luck on your journey!
Hiya Jessica!
Hubby and I are 18 weeks with identical twins. (Our first babies too...very exciting!) I have moments of happiness and joy, mixed with terror and trepidation! I think most new parents-to-be probably share the same feelings, twins or not.
Congratulations on your pregnancy - I am so excited for you! I think it is important not to compare your pregnancy to others too much, because every pregnancy is so different. I have been swimming and going to aqua-mellow classes with senior citizens and pregos. It is delightful to see all the amazing and various shaped baby bumps out there. It has made me aware of how much bigger us gals expecting twins get (earlier) but when you are emerged in the water and feeling weightless it is neither here nor there! I can recommend getting in the pool when you feel up to it...

Hope all goes well and wishing you the very best of health smile
Hi Jessica,

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm 15 weeks pregnant with identical twin girls. Its nice to know there is someone else going through the exact situation as well. Except that I have a near two year old toddler to content with as well. We just found out today, that the twins are girls. 3 girls under 2.5 years old!!!
I'm having an ultrasound scan every two weeks to monitor TTTS. At the moment, everything is going well and the girls are measuring the same. Hope everything goes well for you.
I'm taking things one day at a time. Initially, I was so stressed about the complications but end of the day, some things you can't control. Try to enjoy the pregnancy and try not to read too much negative aspect of twin pregnancy. Its important to be aware about them but try not to stress about them unless something arises. That's the attitude I've adopted.
CONGRATULATIONS JESSICA!!

I HAVE 7 YR OLD TWINCESSES ( A BIG BOY -10 & A LITTLE PRINCESS - 2) MY TWINS ARE SO WONDERFUL IT HAS BEEN AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE TO BE A MUM TO TWINS. EVERYONE WORRIED ABOUT MY PREGNANCY BECAUSE IT WAS TWINS & 1 PLACENTA - THEY ARE IDENTICAL. I HAD A FEW PEOPLE QUITE -VE & WHO FOCUSED ON WHAT COULD GO WRONG BUT MY HUBBY & I TOOK EACH DAY AT A TIME & PREPARED OURSELVES TO GIVE OUR BABIES THE BEST CHANCE. THEY WERE INDUCED AT 38 WEEKS BORN 11MIN APART SPENT 10 DAYS IN THE NURSERY BEFORE WE TOOK THEM HOME. ITS BEEN HEAPS OF HARD WORK BUT DOUBLE THE FUN & VERY REWARDING. ENJOY IT!! IT TRUELY IS A PRIVELAGE. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF, EAT WELL REST OFTEN & BUY LOTS OF NAPPIES WHEN THEY ARE GOING CHEAP smile START FREEZING THOSE DINNERS BEFORE THE FUN BEGINS. I LOVE HAVING TWINS XX smile smile
Sign in to follow this topic