Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Pregnancy & Relationships
  5. Do i have to tell a potential employer im preg?

Do i have to tell a potential employer im preg? Rss

My contract at my last job has recently come to an end, im 20 weeks pregnant and having to try find a new job :/ do i need to tell potential employers at the job interview that im expecting? I dont want to be dishonnest but at the same time i feel if i mention it i wont get the job. I dont no if there are laws around when you need to tell them, i know i wont be entitled to maternity leave, just dont no if i should/have to mention im preg at the interview :/
Im not really showing yet...
I believe (although don't quote me on this) the answer is no you don't have to tell them. They're also not allowed to ask unless the job specifically involves hazards which can not be undertaken by a pregnant women.

However, all that been said if you get the job by the time you start it'll be very obvious you're pregnant so your new employers will likely be annoyed (even if they're not allowed to because it's discrimination) as they're going to have to hire someone else in only a few months. So unfortunately if you don't tell them you'll probably be starting of on a bad note (but if you do tell them they might not hire you).

The only other concern is if the job has a 3 month probationary period they may use that to fire you once they find out you're pregnant (again they're not allowed to but they can say any other reason they want).

I don't know what I'd do in your situation. I think I'd do the interview and not say anything then if I got it I'd call the manager and let them know (prior to accepting it) and ask them if it's going to cause any problems. The other thing is how long are you planning to stay at home after bub? If you're planning a while could you not just get a short term temp job now and then start looking for what you actually want when you're ready to return to the workplace?
I don't think that you legally must tell them, but I think it's great advice from Makalu, that you will be on probation anyway, and so they can put you off anyway.

I would be up front with them, and if they really want to hire you, then you will be in a much better position for them to trust you, and have a long term career with the company.

If you don't tell them, then it may also be a problem if they put you off during the probation period, and then you go for other jobs, who contact this company, who tells them that you were not up front and honest with them. That would make it harder for you in future.
makalu wrote:
I believe (although don't quote me on this) the answer is no you don't have to tell them. They're also not allowed to ask unless the job specifically involves hazards which can not be undertaken by a pregnant women.

However, all that been said if you get the job by the time you start it'll be very obvious you're pregnant so your new employers will likely be annoyed (even if they're not allowed to because it's discrimination) as they're going to have to hire someone else in only a few months. So unfortunately if you don't tell them you'll probably be starting of on a bad note (but if you do tell them they might not hire you).

The only other concern is if the job has a 3 month probationary period they may use that to fire you once they find out you're pregnant (again they're not allowed to but they can say any other reason they want).

I don't know what I'd do in your situation. I think I'd do the interview and not say anything then if I got it I'd call the manager and let them know (prior to accepting it) and ask them if it's going to cause any problems. The other thing is how long are you planning to stay at home after bub? If you're planning a while could you not just get a short term temp job now and then start looking for what you actually want when you're ready to return to the workplace?

I think Makalu has said the right thing. You should be normal until you get offered the job. Then come clean and tell them. Hopefully by then you will show that your the right candidate, and then your also being honest with them and therefore starting on a good foot. Obviously, could lead to you not getting the job, but is probably the best way to handle it for yourself and bub. You don't want that extra stress during the pregnancy. Hope it works out. Good luck!!!
I am sort of in the same situation. My contract ends this week, and I am 15 W I need a job!!. This is good advice!, thanks
As hard as its been i have been honest with any potential employers even for temp jobs and not having any luck sad at least the employers are happy with my honnesty so hopefully that will work for me after bubz is here at the least
With temp jobs!? i dont think you would need to disclose. I wouldnt... I would if it was a permanent role or a long time contract.
I totally disagree with above comments. You need to look after yourself first and know that you are protected by NZ law against pregnancy discrimination. (this includes during the interview process)
It is unacceptable that your employer should terminate your employment during the probation period.
(Other than obvious reasons of misconduct, failure to do your job etc) They will have to prove that you were unable to complete your duties to the human rights commission should you chose to make a complaint. They cannot let you go because you chose not to disclose your pregnancy during the recruitment phase.
I think there needs to be a shift in thinking for our future mothers. Know your rights.
Sign in to follow this topic